Alberta passes bill to restrict the flow of oil and gas to BC, escalating trade war - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

Business

Alberta passes bill to restrict the flow of oil and gas to BC, escalating trade war

Published

on


EDMONTON — Alberta’s New Democratic Party government passed a bill Wednesday that it says will give the province new powers to restrict the flow of energy resources to British Columbia.

Bill 12 — the Preserving Canada’s Economic Prosperity Act — authorizes the government to issue licences for any company exporting energy products from Alberta. The province can use this as a tool to identify companies shipping products to British Columbia, including natural gas, crude oil and refined fuels such as gasoline, diesel and jet fuel.

“Make no mistake,” Notley said during the bill’s third reading in the legislature. “We will not hesitate to use that power.”

The move comes in the midst of an ongoing fight between Alberta and British Columbia over the fate of the $7.4-billion Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain pipeline extension project.

On Wednesday, federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau, said the federal government will financially backstop Trans Mountain, and says if Kinder Morgan walks away, other potential partners may step up.

Notley, who has also said her province would invest in the project to make sure it gets completed, lauded Morneau’s announcement.

“We’re engaged in the conversations that are going on between Kinder Morgan and the federal government, and when there’s more detail that is in everyone’s best interest to disclose, then we’ll do that then.”

Notley refused to outline a timeline for when the legislation kicks in, saying it could take anywhere between 24 hours to a few weeks.

B.C. Premier John Horgan has said his government is exploring legal options to stall the project over concerns he says it poses to the province’s coastline. Alberta, for its part, says the pipeline is critical infrastructure to get its oil to tidewater.

Kinder Morgan received federal approval in 2016 to build the line to get more Alberta oil to tankers on the B.C. coast, but says construction delays by the B.C. government have put the financial feasibility of the project at risk.

The war of words between the two provinces escalated Wednesday, as the B.C. government warned it would legally challenge Bill 12 — if passed — in Alberta courts.

StarMetro obtained a letter penned by B.C. Attorney-General David Eby on Wednesday to his Alberta counterpart, warning that the legislation is “beyond the powers of the Alberta Legislature” and would be a clear violation of Canada’s constitution.

“This attempt to restrict the flow of refined fuels, crude oil and natural gas across the Alberta-B. C. border is intended to punish the residents of B.C.,” reads the letter addressed to Alberta justice minister Kathleen Ganley and verified as authentic.

Citing B.C.’s own request last month for its Court of Appeal to rule on whether regulating the Kinder Morgan pipeline on environmental grounds is constitutionally allowed, Eby argued, “The Constitution of Canada prevents any province from attempting to resolve a legal dispute by inflicting economic harm through trade sanctions. Bill 12 is manifestly unconstitutional.”

Eby said unless Alberta asks a court to weigh in on the legislation’s legality, B.C. will launch its own lawsuit in an Alberta courtroom to do it for them.

Alberta Justice and Solicitor General could not be reached for comment by press time.

Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh chimed in on the debate Wednesday by voicing his opposition to the project.

“It’s clear this pipeline should not be built,” he wrote on Twitter, noting the federal government is giving Kinder Morgan a “blank cheque while dumping the risks on all Canadians.”

Notley said her government disagrees “quite fundamentally” with Singh, adding the province is committed to both protecting the environment and jobs.

Kinder Morgan has already scaled back construction and says it wants assurances by May 31 that the project, which would triple the line’s capacity, is viable.

With files from David P. Ball and The Canadian Press

Ameya Charnalia is a general assignment reporter based in Edmonton. Reach him via email: Ameya.charnalia@metronews.ca

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

New Zealand economist says foreign buyer ban unlikely to curb housing prices

Published

on

By


While New Zealand's just-passed foreign buyer ban is getting a positive reception from some in B.C., an economist in the southern hemisphere is calling it misguided.

On Wednesday, New Zealand banned most foreigners from buying most types of housing in that country, where affordability has become a struggle.

B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver wants the province to look at a similar ban, but Auckland, New Zealand-based economist Shamubeel Eaqub calls it "a rushed bit of policy, and not very good."

"Be very careful what you wish for because public policy quite often is complicated and has unintended consequences," Eaqub told On The Coast host Gloria Macarenko.

"Getting rid of the foreigners is not going to make housing more affordable. The way that the legislation has been written… it's probably going to make it harder for overseas investors to supply new housing in New Zealand."

Eaqub says the policy is weak in several regards.

First, foreigners are still allowed to buy apartments in new developments.

Second, it still allows Australians and Singaporeans to buy property in New Zealand because of existing free trade deals. Australians alone, he said, account for about 30 per cent of foreign buyers in the New Zealand market.

But, he also said the ban is a solution in search of a problem.

In Auckland at least, which is the largest urban area of the country, foreigners make up less than 10 per cent of all buyers. "We are trying to deal with something that is very much at the margin."

Home prices are increasing all over New Zealand, he said, not just where foreign buyers are active. There are also widespread supply issues and construction comes at a slow place.

He believes there are better solutions to housing problems in his country: renting could be made more affordable and have more secure rules; social housing supply could be increased; and policies and planning could be improved to encourage affordable housing.

Listen to the full interview:

While New Zealand's just-passed foreign buyer ban is getting a positive reception from some in B.C., an economist in the southern hemisphere is calling it misguided. 9:30

With files from CBC Radio One's On The Coast

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Donors have stepped up, but urgent need for blood hasn't gone away

Published

on

By


Canadian Blood Services issued a call for donors and though Londoners have largely stepped up to help, there remains a pressing need as the Labour Day weekend draws near. 

Kendall O'Neill of Canadian Blood Services says the clinic on Wharncliffe Road South has been busy since a call for donations was issued last week, highlighting a need for 22,000 donors nationally ahead of the weekend.

"The response has been incredible," said O'Neill. 

When CBC News visited the clinic Friday, every donation chair, the waiting area and the post-donation reception area was full of clients there to donate whole blood, platelets and plasma. 

And while it's a welcome response, O'Neill says more donors are still needed to re-stock supply heading into the long weekend. For example, the London clinic needs 50 donors to fill up booking spots for Monday, Sept. 3.

She said getting donors to show up for the Labour Day weekend is a annual challenge. 

"People are on vacation," she said. "They're doing stuff with their families, but it is still important to come out and donate." 

Canadian Blood Services is trying new ways to get younger people to donate, through pop-up donation clinics at schools, including Western and Fanshawe, and an app that will issue a text alert when your donated blood is used.

 There wasn't an app available when 66-year-old Alex, who spoke to CBC Friday at the London donation clinic, began donating as an 18-year-old.

Since then he's donated more than 120 times. 

"I think it's the best gift one human being can give to another," he said. 

Other than free drinks and snacks afterward, donors in Canada aren't compensated. Alex says he's fine with that. 

"It's a natural high," he said. "I feel good after I walk out of here."

For information about how to become a donor visit blood.ca or call 1-888-236-6283.

Blood donation facts

  • The need for Type O-negative blood is always pressing because it's the only type compatible with all other blood types. In an emergency when there's no time to check for blood type, patients receive O-negative.
     
  • Only four per cent of people eligible to donate blood actually donate. O'Neill said  some people falsely believe they aren't eligible to donate when they actually are. "The criteria is alway changing," she said. "It's always good to go on Blood.ca to check availability to make sure you can actually donate."  
     
  • A common misconception is that blood donations are only used in emergency situations. "That's not usually the case," said O'Neill. She said blood is needed for everything from treating cancer patients to surgeries like hip replacements.
     
  • Blood donated in London is taken to a screening facility in Brampton. Then it comes back to be used in the community where it was donated. Most blood units are used within five days of donation.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump administration reverses decades of policy, says conserving oil no longer an economic imperative

Published

on

By


Conserving oil is no longer an economic imperative for the U.S., the Trump administration declares in a major new policy statement that threatens to undermine decades of government campaigns for gas-thrifty cars and other conservation programs.

The position was outlined in a memo released last month in support of the administration’s proposal to relax fuel mileage standards. The government released the memo online this month without fanfare.

Growth of natural gas and other alternatives to petroleum has reduced the need for imported oil, which “in turn affects the need of the nation to conserve energy,” the Energy Department said. It also cites the now decade-old fracking revolution that has unlocked U.S. shale oil reserves, giving “the United States more flexibility than in the past to use our oil resources with less concern.”

Story continues below advertisement

With the memo, the administration is formally challenging old justifications for conservation — even congressionally prescribed ones, as with the mileage standards. The memo made no mention of climate change. Transportation is the single largest source of climate-changing emissions.

President Donald Trump has questioned the existence of climate change, embraced the notion of “energy dominance” as a national goal, and called for easing what he calls burdensome regulation of oil, gas and coal, including repealing the Obama Clean Power Plan.

Despite the increased oil supplies, the administration continues to believe in the need to “use energy wisely,” the Energy Department said, without elaboration. Department spokesmen did not respond Friday to questions about that statement.

Reaction was quick.

“It’s like saying, ‘I’m a big old fat guy, and food prices have dropped — it’s time to start eating again,“’ said Tom Kloza, longtime oil analyst with the Maryland-based Oil Price Information Service.

“If you look at it from the other end, if you do believe that fossil fuels do some sort of damage to the atmosphere … you come up with a different viewpoint,” Kloza said. “There’s a downside to living large.”

Climate change is a “clear and present and increasing danger,” said Sean Donahue, a lawyer for the Environmental Defence Fund.

Story continues below advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

In a big way, the Energy Department statement just acknowledges the world’s vastly changed reality when it comes to oil.

Just 10 years ago, in summer 2008, oil prices were peaking at $147 a barrel and pummeling the global economy. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries was enjoying a massive transfer of wealth, from countries dependent on imported oil. Prices now are about $65.

Today, the U.S. is vying with Russia for the title of top world oil producer. U.S. oil production hit an all-time high this summer, aided by the technological leaps of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing.

How much the U.S. economy is hooked up to the gas pump, and vice versa, plays into any number of policy considerations, not just economic or environmental ones, but military and geopolitical ones, said John Graham, a former official in the George W. Bush administration, now dean of the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University.

“Our ability to play that role as a leader in the world is stronger when we are the strongest producer of oil and gas,” Graham said. “But there are still reasons to want to reduce the amount we consume.”

Current administration proposals include one that would freeze mileage standards for cars and light trucks after 2020, instead of continuing to make them tougher.

Story continues below advertisement

The proposal eventually would increase U.S. oil consumption by 500,000 barrels a day, the administration says. While Trump officials say the freeze would improve highway safety, documents released this month showed senior Environmental Protection Agency staffers calculate the administration’s move would actually increase highway deaths.

“American businesses, consumers and our environment are all the losers under his plan,” said Sen. Tom Carper, a Delaware Democrat. “The only clear winner is the oil industry. It’s not hard to see whose side President Trump is on.”

Administration support has been tepid to null on some other long-running government programs for alternatives to gas-powered cars.

Bill Wehrum, assistant administration of the EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation, spoke dismissively of electric cars — a young industry supported financially by the federal government and many states — this month in a call with reporters announcing the mileage freeze proposal.

“People just don’t want to buy them,” the EPA official said.

Oil and gas interests are campaigning for changes in government conservation efforts on mileage standards, biofuels and electric cars.

In June, for instance, the American Petroleum Institute and other industries wrote eight governors, promoting the dominance of the internal-combustion engine and questioning their states’ incentives to consumers for electric cars.

Surging U.S. and gas production has brought on “energy security and abundance,” Frank Macchiarola, a group director of the American Petroleum Institute trade association, told reporters this week, in a telephone call dedicated to urging scrapping or overhauling of one U.S. program for biofuels.

Fears of oil scarcity used to be a driver of U.S. energy policy, Macchiarola said.

Thanks partly to increased production, “that pillar has really been rendered essentially moot,” he said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: