Brampton East PC candidate Simmer Sandhu steps down after 'allegations anonymously made against me' - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Brampton East PC candidate Simmer Sandhu steps down after 'allegations anonymously made against me'

Published

on


Ontario Progressive Conservative candidate Simmer Sandhu announced he is stepping down in a tweet Wednesday evening, referring to “allegations anonymously made against me pertaining to both my work life and my nomination campaign.”

Sandhu, who did not detail the allegations, said he denies them and will “vigorously” defend himself and his reputation, but said he feels it is impossible to continue as PC candidate in Brampton East.

“This election is too important to get caught up in the issues surrounding any one person,” Sandhu said in the tweet.

PC leader Doug Ford did not comment on the resignation at a Mississauga rally taking place as the news broke but the party issued a statement.

“In light of the investigation into Simmer Sandhu, he felt it was necessary to stand down as a candidate and we accepted his resignation,” said Ford campaign spokeswoman Melissa Lantsman.

“We are committed to running a strong campaign in Brampton East and electing an Ontario PC MPP on June 7th. We are excited to announce Sudeep Verma as the Ontario PC Candidate in Brampton East.”

Sandu’s resignation came on the eve of Thursday’s 2 p.m. Elections Ontario deadline for the nomination of candidates.

Conservatives have been plagued by candidate problems for the election, including a fraud investigation by police into nomination irregularities in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas under previous leader Patrick Brown and Ford’s appointment of former radio talk-show host Andrew Lawton in London West for misogynist and racist remarks.

Ford has stood by Lawton but recently fired social conservative Tanya Granic Allen as the candidate in Mississauga Centre for blog posts that compared Muslim women in burqas to “bank robbers” and “ninjas.” She also made remarks seen as intolerant of gays.

Sandhu was running against federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh’s brother Gurratan Singh, running for the New Democrats.

According to his webpage, Verma came to Canada in 2003, employs about 20 people at a small business and previously sought the PC nomination in the neighbouring riding of Brampton Centre.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur to make court appearance in Toronto

Published

on

By



TORONTO – A man accused of killing men associated with Toronto’s gay village appeared briefly in court today.

Bruce McArthur was remanded in custody until June 22 for what is expected to be another short appearance.


READ MORE:
Toronto police to start searching more properties linked to Bruce McArthur this week

Dressed in an orange jumpsuit, McArthur said little during the short appearance via video link.

Story continues below

He looked downcast while his lawyer and Crown set the new date.


READ MORE:
Case of alleged Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur put over to May 23

The 66-year-old self-employed landscaper was arrested in January and charged with the murders of Andrew Kinsman and Selim Esen, who went missing from Toronto’s gay village in 2017.

Later that month, he was charged with the first-degree murder of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick. In February, he was also charged in the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam.


READ MORE:
Toronto police end search of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur’s apartment

In April police charged Mcarthur in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi, who was reported missing in 2010, and days later charged McArthur in the death of Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, who came to Canada from Sri Lanka and was not reported missing.

Police have so far recovered the remains of seven men from large planters at a Toronto home where McArthur worked and stored his equipment.

Police say cadaver dogs — including some from York Region police — are sniffing out about 100 properties both inside and outside Toronto, all with ties to McArthur.

VIDEO: New details about latest victim of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur






Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur set to appear in court Wednesday

Published

on

By


Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur is expected to make a court appearance by video on Wednesday morning.

The 66-year-old landscaper is facing eight counts of first-degree murder in connection with the disappearances of a number of men, most of whom had ties to Toronto’s gay village.

McArthur was arrested and charged in January with first-degree murder in the deaths of Selim Esen, and Andrew Kinsman, both of whom went missing in 2017.

Last week, police finished an intensive search of McArthur’s Thorncliffe apartment, where they seized 1,800 exhibits and took more than 18,000 photographs. Police have found the dismembered remains of at least seven people in large planters at the home of one of McArthur’s clients.

Toronto police said earlier this month that the investigation has entered the next phase, with the use of cadaver dogs to search properties linked to McArthur.

McArthur last appeared in court on April 25.

with files from Star staff and The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur to make Toronto court appearance

Published

on

By



Bruce McArthur, the alleged serial killer charged with eight counts of first-degree murder, is set to make a court appearance by video link in Toronto on Wednesday morning.

Toronto police have said they don't plan to lay any new charges.

McArthur, a 66-year-old self-employed landscaper, has been charged with eight counts of first-degree murder in connection with the disappearances of a number of men, many of whom were connected to Toronto's Gay Village.

He's accused of killing the following men: Skandaraj Navaratnam, 40, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Selim Esen, 44, and Abdulbasir Faizi, 44, Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, 37, Dean Lisowick, 47, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Majeed Kayhan, 58.

McArthur is accused of killing these eight men. Top row, from left to right, Skandaraj Navaratnam, 40, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Selim Esen, 44, and Abdulbasir Faizi, 44. Bottom row, from left to right: Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, 37, Dean Lisowick, 47, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Majeed Kayhan, 58. (CBC/Toronto Police Service)

Police just finished a months-long, inch-by-inch search of McArthur's apartment, which they said netted more than 1,800 pieces of evidence.

Police still searching

Meanwhile, cadaver dogs are searching dozens of properties across the city where McArthur worked.

Police also plan to do more digging at a home on Mallory Crescent, near Toronto's Don Valley, where the dismembered remains of several men were found hidden in large garden planters.

Investigators said they have identified the remains of seven men, but not Kayhan's.

Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga, who is leading the investigation, has said police don't know how long the probe will continue.

McArthur, who was arrested on Jan. 18, remains in custody at the Toronto South Detention Centre in Etobicoke, in suburban Toronto.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: