Doug Ford Responds To Basic Income Question By Accusing Politician Of Making A Bomb Threat - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Doug Ford Responds To Basic Income Question By Accusing Politician Of Making A Bomb Threat

Published

on


OTTAWA — Ontario Premier Doug Ford sidestepped a question about his government’s decision to cancel a basic income pilot project by accusing an NDP MPP of making a threat to hurl an explosive in Queen’s Park on Thursday.

NDP MPP Judith Monteith-Farrell had asked the premier in question period when participants of the now-cancelled project were informed of the project’s end and if they were told when the last income supplement cheques would be issued.

But the premier did not directly answer Monteith-Farrell’s question, opting to take aim at NDP MPP Taras Natyshak by raising a “serious issue.”

“We have one of the members from Essex just tell us he’s going to throw a landmine and blow this place up,” Ford said. “I think the cheese has slipped off the cracker with this guy.”

[embedded content]

More than 4,000 participants were enrolled in the pilot since its April 2017 launch. Individuals qualified if their annual income fell below $34,000; and $48,000 for couples.

The pilot was intended to explore if raising low-income earners’ financial floor would improve mental and physical health and what the impact on health, education, and social service systems would be.

I think the cheese has slipped off the cracker with this guy.Ontario Premier Doug Ford

Natyshak, who did not sit in his regular seat in the second row, was seated in NDP Leader Andrea Horwath’s seat — directly across from the premier.

Social Services Minister Lisa MacLeod later picked up the basic income question, repeating an explanation from the day before that former participants would be given a “lengthy and compassionate runway.” She had described the $150-million research project to be “failing.”

MacLeod did not confirm when participants were notified of the program’s cancellation.

Four basic income recipients told HuffPost Canada that the provincial government did not provide any notice when their payments would end prior to MacLeod’s press conference last week.

NDP MPP says working with Ford government has been ‘challenging’

Natyshak did not rise on a point of order to correct Ford or challenge the premier’s accusation. But his regular seatmate in the second row, Algoma—Manitoulin MPP Michael Mantha said he didn’t hear his colleague make any threat about bringing a landmine into the legislature.

“My bigger concern is that this is the second attempt by the premier in regards to making allegations against a couple of our caucus members,” Mantha told HuffPost Canada in an interview.

Ford accused veteran opposition MPP Gilles Bisson of being “disgusting” for mocking the accent of a PC member. Horwath defended her House leader and accused the premier of lying, saying Bisson did not make the offensive comment.

Watch how Ontario’s basic income was ‘a blessing’ to these small business owners

Mantha spoke on how the premier’s allegations against members fuel raucous chamber behaviour in the legislature, which he said has “definitely been challenging to say the least.”

“However this is the protocol that this government has decided to put forward,” he said. “You’re not going to enjoy the normalcy of what this government is putting forward.”

Requests for comment to Natyshak and Health Minister Christine Elliott, who sat across from the NDP MPP and next to Ford, were not returned before publication.

When asked if the premier either has sharp ears or is making things up, Mantha left things open ended.

“I’m not going to speak for Mr. Ford. Mr. Ford has been hearing lots of things,” he said.

With a file from Emma Paling

More from HuffPost Canada:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: Hurricane force winds, snow, slam Newfoundland

Published

on

By


NEWFOUNDLAND | Heavy snow


Find Your Forecast

Digital writers
theweathernetwork.com

Thursday, November 15, 2018, 2:52 PM – The strongest storm of the season so far edged into Atlantic Canada earlier this week, strengthening rapidly as it barrelled through the north Atlantic Thursday. Hurricane force winds, snow, and damaging storm surge were expected to batter parts of Newfoundland the the day, with the largest waves on the planet targeting the island.

The storm knocked out power to thousands as winds whipped the region.

“This is just one of many issues our crews have been dealing with,” said Newfoundland Power in a tweet showing powerline damage. “We thank all of our customers who have been impacted during this storm for their patience. We are working as safely and diligently as possible to restore power to our customers.”

Much of Atlantic Canada saw winds upwards of 80 km/h, with most of Newfoundland experiencing wind gusts over 130 km/m, which made for reduced visibility and dangerous driving conditions.

Atlantic Canada will continue to be the focus of the active weather through next week with a couple more systems expected

RELATED: Get the latest updates on the system impacting Atlantic Canada here

SEE IMPACTS OF THE ‘WEATHER BOMB’ IMPACTING NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR, BELOW: 

Do you have a photo or video you’d like to share with us? Be sure to upload it to our website, here.

WATCH BELOW: ROUGH WEATHER IN NEWFOUNDLAND RESULTS IN PLANE CRASH ON WEST COAST OF PROVINCE

You May Also Like

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Work accident claims three

Published

on

By


Three people are dead after an apparent workplace accident just south of Edmonton.

Police, firefighters and emergency crews responded Thursday afternoon to a call at Millennium Cryogenic Technologies in Leduc.

Mayor Bob Young confirms three people died.

Young says it isn't clear what happened at the worksite in the Leduc Business Park.

He says the situation is contained and there is no risk to the public.

RCMP and Alberta Occupational Health & Safety officers are investigating.

"On behalf of Leduc City Council and administration, I want to express our deepest condolences to the co-workers and families affected by this tragic incident,” Young said in a statement.

Premier Rachel Notley said her heart breaks for the workers and their families.

"While we wait for details about how this tragic accident happened, my thoughts are with all those who are mourning this terrible loss," she said in a statement.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Search and rescue responding to bulk carrier off Newfoundland, no plans to abandon ship

Published

on

By



Rescue officials have come to the aid of a bulk carrier that flooded Thursday afternoon off Newfoundland.

Joint Task Force Atlantic says the Centennial Harmony was roughly 460 kilometres off St. John’s, N.L., in the Grand Banks with when it reported flooding onboard around 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

READ MORE: Rescue mission underway for person who fell overboard off N.S. coast

In a statement Thursday evening, National Defence said the flooding was under control, and there was no intention to abandon ship.

It says the bulk carrier – with 21 crew members – was also having intermittent power issues and required technical assistance.


A Hercules aircraft and the Canadian Coast Guard ship Sir Wilfred Grenfell responded to the incident.

A resupply ship, the Maersk Cutter, was on standby roughly 150 kilometres away to assist if required.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: