Three wildfires burning out of control on Vancouver Island - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Three wildfires burning out of control on Vancouver Island

Published

on


Three wildfires, all believed to be human-caused, are burning out of control on Vancouver Island.

Since Sunday, the Coastal Fire Centre has responded to six new wildfires on the Island, said Natasha Broznitsky, spokeswoman for the Coastal Fire Centre.

article continues below

The three out-of-control blazes are the Nanaimo Lakes wildfire, the Maple Mountain fire near Duncan and a fire burning near Lacy Lake in the Beaufort Range, north of Port Alberni.

“They are certainly a priority for the Coastal Fire Centre,” said Broznitsky.

The six new wildfires on Vancouver Island are an increase compared with what we’ve been seeing over the past two weeks, she said.

“Certainly, with an uptick in new wildfires we are encouraging the public to be very diligent any time they are enjoying the forest or doing an activity that could cause a wildfire. We certainly don’t want to have any more human-caused fires,” said Broznitsky.

There are 466 wildfires burning across B.C.

The Nanaimo Lakes wildfire, estimated to be 179 hectares, is under investigation. On Thursday, 55 firefighters, three helicopters and a fire management team continued to work on the blaze, located about 13 kilometres southwest of Nanaimo.

The fire is 25 per cent contained and an evacuation alert remains in place. Seventy-seven homes are in the evacuation-alert area to the east of the fire. One home is believed to be in the area under evacuation order, to the west of the fire.

Nanaimo Lakes Road and Nanaimo River Road are closed at South Forks Road.

The B.C. Wildfire Service, the Maple Bay Fire Department and two helicopters made good progress on the eight-hectare Maple Mountain fire on Thursday.

The wildfire appears to be settling down, but the evacuation alert remains in place for Osborne Bay Road from Herd Road to Tatlo Road West as a precaution, said the Municipality of North Cowichan.

The wildfire burning near Lacy Lake in the Beaufort Range, north of Port Alberni grew to 10 hectares overnight Wednesday. On Thursday, the B.C. Wildfire Service responded with 25 firefighters, three helicopters and three pieces of heavy equipment. Municipal firefighters, including the Cherry Creek Fire Dept., are also working on the fire, said Broznitsky.

A small fire that popped up west of Bowser on Wednesday night was extinguished by B.C. Wildfire Service crews Thursday afternoon, said Broznitsky.

A small two-acre fire south of Turtle Lake near Port Alberni is considered to be under control.

A small wildfire south of Port Renfrew near Highway 14 is also considered to be under control, said Broznitsky.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

With man's fatal shooting, 2018 ties for Toronto's deadliest year on record

Published

on

By



With the shooting death of a man in Toronto‘s west end Wednesday morning, the total number of homicides in the city this year has tied with a record high number of deaths set almost three decades ago.

Emergency crews were called to Ann Arbour Road, a residential side street east of Weston and Albion roads, shortly after midnight.

Story continues below

“We received several 911 calls for the sound of gunshots,” Toronto Police Duty Inspector Jim Gotell told reporters early Wednesday morning.

“Police attended the scene and we located a vehicle with a male victim inside who had been shot.”


READ MORE:
Looking back at 1991, Toronto’s record year for murders

A police spokesperson said officers tried to perform life-saving measures, but the victim didn’t have any vital signs.

A Toronto Paramedics spokesperson said the victim, who is believed to be in his 20s, was shot in the head numerous times.

Paramedics rushed the man to a trauma centre.


READ MORE:
Toronto police plead for info in 3 unsolved shootings in the city’s northwest

Gotell said officers were canvassing the neighbourhood looking for evidence and surveillance. Members of the canine and forensic identification units were called in to assist with the investigation.

Police hadn’t released details about suspects as of early Wednesday morning.


Wednesday’s shooting came as Toronto has been plagued with many high-profile gun incidents in 2018.

The man’s death is the city’s 89th homicide. Toronto police said the record for the highest number of homicides in a single year, 89, was set in 1991.

Meanwhile, anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-3100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Shooting in Humberlea leaves 1 male dead: police

Published

on

By


Codi Wilson, CP24.com</span>


Published Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:13AM EST


Last Updated Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:00AM EST

One male has died in hospital following a shooting in Humberlea overnight.

Police were called to the area of Ann Arbour Road, located near Albion and Weston roads, at around midnight after residents in the area reported hearing the sound of gunshots.

Officers from 31 Division quickly responded to the scene and found a male in the driver’s seat of a Chrysler 200.

"We located a vehicle here and inside the vehicle we located a male who had been shot," Duty Insp. Jim Gotell told CP24 at the scene on Wednesday morning.

The sergeant who first responded to the shooting performed CPR on the victim, who was without vital signs after sustaining a gunshot wound to the neck.

"The male was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook Hospital but unfortunately he was pronounced dead," Gotell said.

Police have not yet released the name or age of the victim but say he did not reside in the area where he was found.

"At this point in time, the investigation is now being turned over to the homicide squad," Gotell said.

Homicide Det. Mike Carbone is leading the investigation.

"We have our police dogs. We have out forensics people. We are currently investigating what happened," Gotell added.

Bullet holes were visible in one of the doors of the Chrysler.

Investigators have not provided any information on possible suspects but witnesses reported seeing a person running through backyards in the area.

The fatal shooting is Toronto’s 89th homicide of 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Man shot to death in north end is Toronto's 89th homicide this year — tying grim record set in 1991

Published

on

By


A male was shot to death overnight Wednesday in north Toronto, marking the city's 89th homicide of this year — tying a grim statistical record that has stood for nearly three decades. 

Police were called to the area of Albion and Weston roads around midnight after some 10 gunshots were reported. 

Officers found one male victim badly injured and "without vital signs." He was taken to a trauma centre, where he later died of his wounds. 

Police did not have information about possible suspects.

Homicide detectives were at the scene early Wednesday. 

The victim's death brings to the total of slayings in Toronto this year to 89, a figure that has stood as the most homicides in a single year in the city. It was set in 1991. 

More to come

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: