In sobering news for the Ford government, Ontario lost 80000 jobs in August - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

In sobering news for the Ford government, Ontario lost 80000 jobs in August

Published

on


Ontario lost 80,000 jobs last month — the equivalent of the population of Peterborough — in the province’s worst Statistics Canada monthly employment survey since the 2009 global recession.

In sobering news for rookie Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservative government, Ontario’s unemployment rate rose to 5.7 per cent, up 0.3 percentage points.

Premier Doug Ford makes a point during question period, with Health Minister Christine Elliott, and Trade Minister Jim Wilson at Queen’s Park last month. In a statement, Wilson blamed Ontario’s dismal August job numbers on the previous Liberal government. “The latest job numbers are a reminder of the Wynne Liberals’ 15-year legacy of scandal, waste and mismanagement,” the minister said.  (Rick Madonik / Toronto Star)

That is still lower than Canada’s national average of 6 per cent and far better than the 8 per cent unemployment rate in the province at the height of the recession.

But last month’s data is the largest loss recorded in Ontario since January 2009 when 95,700 jobs vanished during what was the biggest international financial crisis since the Great Depression.

In a break with tradition at Queen’s Park on the days that Statistics Canada releases monthly job numbers, Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade Minister Jim Wilson was not available on Friday.

Article Continued Below

But in a brief statement, Wilson blamed the grim statistics on the previous Liberal government of former premier Kathleen Wynne. The unemployment rate was lower before the June 7 election.

“The latest job numbers are a reminder of the Wynne Liberals’ 15-year legacy of scandal, waste and mismanagement,” the minister said.

“While the NDP stood by and propped up the Liberals, the PCs stood up for the people and put forward a plan to get Ontario back on track,” he said.

“We will create and protect jobs by sending the message that ‘Ontario is open for business.’”

NDP MPP Catherine Fife (Waterloo) mocked the Tories for promising to install a large sign at the U.S. border declaring the province is “open for business,” saying the new government doesn’t have a plan.

“The neon ‘open for business’ sign on the border is not an economic strategy — in fact, I think it looks somewhat farcical,” said Fife, pointing out that Ford’s cancelling of hundreds of green energy contracts “certainly does not instill confidence for investors.”

“Mr. Ford’s string of shortsighted decisions and backward priorities compromises confidence in our economy and threatens the continued creation of good jobs in the province,” she said.

Article Continued Below

Fife denied that the previous government’s decision to raise the hourly minimum wage on Jan. 1 to $14 from $11.60 caused the spike in part-time job losses.

While that wage is set to jump to $15 next Jan. 1, the Tories have pledged to stop that.

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce, which represents 60,000 businesses, last week appealed to the government to scrap the raise and water down the Liberals’ labour reforms.

“We’re looking at a full repeal of Bill 148,” said OCC vice-president Ashley Challinor, referring to the landmark Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act that instituted paid, job-protected emergency leave days for all workers, increased holiday benefits, mandated equal pay for casual and part-time workers doing the same job as full-time employees, and increased protections for those at temporary agencies.

“It has created a number of compounding changes that created greater administrative and financial pressure on employers,” said Challinor.

Statistics Canada noted last month’s losses were part-time jobs and offset the previous month’s gains.

“In Ontario, full-time employment held steady compared with the previous month, with year-over-year gains totalling 172,000 (+3 per cent). Part-time employment fell by 80,000 in August, following a similar increase in July,” it said.

That compared to 93,000 part-time jobs lost in the previous 12 months.

Robert Benzie is the Star’s Queen’s Park bureau chief and a reporter covering Ontario politics. Follow him on Twitter: @robertbenzie

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

With man's fatal shooting, 2018 ties for Toronto's deadliest year on record

Published

on

By



With the shooting death of a man in Toronto‘s west end Wednesday morning, the total number of homicides in the city this year has tied with a record high number of deaths set almost three decades ago.

Emergency crews were called to Ann Arbour Road, a residential side street east of Weston and Albion roads, shortly after midnight.

Story continues below

“We received several 911 calls for the sound of gunshots,” Toronto Police Duty Inspector Jim Gotell told reporters early Wednesday morning.

“Police attended the scene and we located a vehicle with a male victim inside who had been shot.”


READ MORE:
Looking back at 1991, Toronto’s record year for murders

A police spokesperson said officers tried to perform life-saving measures, but the victim didn’t have any vital signs.

A Toronto Paramedics spokesperson said the victim, who is believed to be in his 20s, was shot in the head numerous times.

Paramedics rushed the man to a trauma centre.


READ MORE:
Toronto police plead for info in 3 unsolved shootings in the city’s northwest

Gotell said officers were canvassing the neighbourhood looking for evidence and surveillance. Members of the canine and forensic identification units were called in to assist with the investigation.

Police hadn’t released details about suspects as of early Wednesday morning.


Wednesday’s shooting came as Toronto has been plagued with many high-profile gun incidents in 2018.

The man’s death is the city’s 89th homicide. Toronto police said the record for the highest number of homicides in a single year, 89, was set in 1991.

Meanwhile, anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-3100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Shooting in Humberlea leaves 1 male dead: police

Published

on

By


Codi Wilson, CP24.com</span>


Published Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:13AM EST


Last Updated Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:00AM EST

One male has died in hospital following a shooting in Humberlea overnight.

Police were called to the area of Ann Arbour Road, located near Albion and Weston roads, at around midnight after residents in the area reported hearing the sound of gunshots.

Officers from 31 Division quickly responded to the scene and found a male in the driver’s seat of a Chrysler 200.

"We located a vehicle here and inside the vehicle we located a male who had been shot," Duty Insp. Jim Gotell told CP24 at the scene on Wednesday morning.

The sergeant who first responded to the shooting performed CPR on the victim, who was without vital signs after sustaining a gunshot wound to the neck.

"The male was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook Hospital but unfortunately he was pronounced dead," Gotell said.

Police have not yet released the name or age of the victim but say he did not reside in the area where he was found.

"At this point in time, the investigation is now being turned over to the homicide squad," Gotell said.

Homicide Det. Mike Carbone is leading the investigation.

"We have our police dogs. We have out forensics people. We are currently investigating what happened," Gotell added.

Bullet holes were visible in one of the doors of the Chrysler.

Investigators have not provided any information on possible suspects but witnesses reported seeing a person running through backyards in the area.

The fatal shooting is Toronto’s 89th homicide of 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Man shot to death in north end is Toronto's 89th homicide this year — tying grim record set in 1991

Published

on

By


A male was shot to death overnight Wednesday in north Toronto, marking the city's 89th homicide of this year — tying a grim statistical record that has stood for nearly three decades. 

Police were called to the area of Albion and Weston roads around midnight after some 10 gunshots were reported. 

Officers found one male victim badly injured and "without vital signs." He was taken to a trauma centre, where he later died of his wounds. 

Police did not have information about possible suspects.

Homicide detectives were at the scene early Wednesday. 

The victim's death brings to the total of slayings in Toronto this year to 89, a figure that has stood as the most homicides in a single year in the city. It was set in 1991. 

More to come

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: