Maxime Bernier launches the People's Party of Canada - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Maxime Bernier launches the People's Party of Canada

Published

on


Quebec MP Maxime Bernier has announced the name of his new party: the People's Party of Canada.

Bernier unveiled his party's principles in Ottawa on Friday, vowing to run a full slate of 338 candidates in the 2019 election.

"For too long Canadian politics has been hijacked by interest groups, cartels, lobbies, international groups, corporate or union interests of politicians and bureaucrats in Ottawa who are disconnected from ordinary citizens," he said. 

"We don't believe that government intervention is a solution for everything. Government should not intervene to solve each and every problem on the road to a utopian and unrealistic vision of society. " 

Bernier, who now sits as an independent, said it will still take time to register the party with Elections Canada, but so far has raised $140,000. He added he is respecting Elections Canada's rules, including maximum limits for donations, even though he can't hand out tax receipts yet.

Quebec MP and former Conservative cabinet minister Maxime Bernier talks about healthcare at the launch of the People's Party of Canada. 0:46

Last month, the rogue MP announced he was leaving the "intellectually and morally corrupt" Conservative Party to start his own movement.

Smaller government, fewer immigrants 

Prior to his exit, ​Bernier caused waves for his tweets regarding Canada's "extreme multiculturalism," warning that "the cult of diversity will divide us into little tribes that have less and less in common, apart from their dependence on government in Ottawa."

Bernier said that as leader of the PPC, he wants to change Canada's immigration ratios, including to take in fewer refugees.

Quebec MP and former Conservative cabinet minister Maxime Bernier talks about immigration at the launch of the People's Party of Canada. 1:13

But when asked about potential supporters who want to limit immigration for xenophobic reasons, Bernier said "they have no place in our party."

"These people will not be candidates," he said.

As part of his announcement Friday, Bernier, a noted supply management opposer, announced some the PPC's guiding principles, including:

  • Advocating for smaller government.
  • Respecting the taxpayers.
  • Upholding the Constitution.
  • Denouncing programs that prevent competitiveness.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer, who narrowly beat Bernier at last year's leadership convention, said the former cabinet minister was more occupied with advancing his own profile than the needs of the party.

Scheer and Bernier will meet again when the House of Commons resumes on Monday after the summer break.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

With man's fatal shooting, 2018 ties for Toronto's deadliest year on record

Published

on

By



With the shooting death of a man in Toronto‘s west end Wednesday morning, the total number of homicides in the city this year has tied with a record high number of deaths set almost three decades ago.

Emergency crews were called to Ann Arbour Road, a residential side street east of Weston and Albion roads, shortly after midnight.

Story continues below

“We received several 911 calls for the sound of gunshots,” Toronto Police Duty Inspector Jim Gotell told reporters early Wednesday morning.

“Police attended the scene and we located a vehicle with a male victim inside who had been shot.”


READ MORE:
Looking back at 1991, Toronto’s record year for murders

A police spokesperson said officers tried to perform life-saving measures, but the victim didn’t have any vital signs.

A Toronto Paramedics spokesperson said the victim, who is believed to be in his 20s, was shot in the head numerous times.

Paramedics rushed the man to a trauma centre.


READ MORE:
Toronto police plead for info in 3 unsolved shootings in the city’s northwest

Gotell said officers were canvassing the neighbourhood looking for evidence and surveillance. Members of the canine and forensic identification units were called in to assist with the investigation.

Police hadn’t released details about suspects as of early Wednesday morning.


Wednesday’s shooting came as Toronto has been plagued with many high-profile gun incidents in 2018.

The man’s death is the city’s 89th homicide. Toronto police said the record for the highest number of homicides in a single year, 89, was set in 1991.

Meanwhile, anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-3100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Shooting in Humberlea leaves 1 male dead: police

Published

on

By


Codi Wilson, CP24.com</span>


Published Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:13AM EST


Last Updated Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:00AM EST

One male has died in hospital following a shooting in Humberlea overnight.

Police were called to the area of Ann Arbour Road, located near Albion and Weston roads, at around midnight after residents in the area reported hearing the sound of gunshots.

Officers from 31 Division quickly responded to the scene and found a male in the driver’s seat of a Chrysler 200.

"We located a vehicle here and inside the vehicle we located a male who had been shot," Duty Insp. Jim Gotell told CP24 at the scene on Wednesday morning.

The sergeant who first responded to the shooting performed CPR on the victim, who was without vital signs after sustaining a gunshot wound to the neck.

"The male was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook Hospital but unfortunately he was pronounced dead," Gotell said.

Police have not yet released the name or age of the victim but say he did not reside in the area where he was found.

"At this point in time, the investigation is now being turned over to the homicide squad," Gotell said.

Homicide Det. Mike Carbone is leading the investigation.

"We have our police dogs. We have out forensics people. We are currently investigating what happened," Gotell added.

Bullet holes were visible in one of the doors of the Chrysler.

Investigators have not provided any information on possible suspects but witnesses reported seeing a person running through backyards in the area.

The fatal shooting is Toronto’s 89th homicide of 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Man shot to death in north end is Toronto's 89th homicide this year — tying grim record set in 1991

Published

on

By


A male was shot to death overnight Wednesday in north Toronto, marking the city's 89th homicide of this year — tying a grim statistical record that has stood for nearly three decades. 

Police were called to the area of Albion and Weston roads around midnight after some 10 gunshots were reported. 

Officers found one male victim badly injured and "without vital signs." He was taken to a trauma centre, where he later died of his wounds. 

Police did not have information about possible suspects.

Homicide detectives were at the scene early Wednesday. 

The victim's death brings to the total of slayings in Toronto this year to 89, a figure that has stood as the most homicides in a single year in the city. It was set in 1991. 

More to come

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: