Maxime Bernier says new venture is People's Party of Canada - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Maxime Bernier says new venture is People's Party of Canada

Published

on


Maxime Bernier has lifted the veil on his new political venture, calling it the People’s Party of Canada (PPC) as right-of-centre, populist movements are on the rise around the world.

A former Conservative MP who now sits as an independent, Mr. Bernier says he wants the new party to fight for free-market values as well defend “ordinary citizens” against the power of special interest groups.

In prepared remarks, Mr. Bernier said the PPC will “respect our traditions, our history, and what makes Canada a unique place in the world, without trying to forcibly change it like the current Liberal government is doing.”

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Bernier is advocating for the dismantling of the supply management system in Canada’s agricultural industries, but also wants the new party to fight against equalization, speed up the pipeline approval process and end the “migrant crisis.”

“For too long, Canadian politics has been hijacked by interest groups, cartels, lobbies, international organisations, corporate or union interests, and the interests of politicians and bureaucrats in Ottawa who are disconnected from ordinary citizens,” Mr. Bernier said in a speech on Friday morning.

“It is time that the government put the Canadian people first when they make decisions and policies. It is time to put power back into the people’s hands,” he added.

Called the “Parti populaire du Canada” in French, the new party will be headquartered in Gatineau. The official registration with Elections Canada is still weeks away, which means the party cannot yet issue tax receipts. Still, Mr. Bernier said he has already raised $140,000.

He added he plans to run candidates in all 338 ridings in Canada in next year’s general election, although there have been concerns that the new party will split right-wing votes and end up helping the Liberal Party that will be seeking a second mandate.

Earlier this week, former Progressive Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney said any party that splits the vote is “dooming that party to defeat.”

“At least in my time, I needed every vote that I could get, and I scurried for every vote that I could convince. And unless it’s changed, it’s probably still the same way. And so I’m not big on these splits,” Mr. Mulroney told an audience in Ottawa. “What I see happening with Maxime Bernier is not a good idea, I don’t think, in terms of the Conservatives getting elected again.”

Story continues below advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

He added that Stephen Harper and Preston Manning’s involvement in the Reform Party in the 1990s was “all it took to elect the Liberals for 13 years.”

In an interview earlier this week, Mr. Bernier said that as leader, he would allow his MPs to introduce legislation on any subject, including abortion. “I’m not like [Conservative Leader] Andrew Scheer… I believe that a Member of Parliament has the right to table a bill on the subject that he wants. That’s a privilege and that’s a right from a Member of Parliament,” Mr. Bernier said. “If somebody wants to table legislation on that, we will have to have a free vote on that.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

With man's fatal shooting, 2018 ties for Toronto's deadliest year on record

Published

on

By



With the shooting death of a man in Toronto‘s west end Wednesday morning, the total number of homicides in the city this year has tied with a record high number of deaths set almost three decades ago.

Emergency crews were called to Ann Arbour Road, a residential side street east of Weston and Albion roads, shortly after midnight.

Story continues below

“We received several 911 calls for the sound of gunshots,” Toronto Police Duty Inspector Jim Gotell told reporters early Wednesday morning.

“Police attended the scene and we located a vehicle with a male victim inside who had been shot.”


READ MORE:
Looking back at 1991, Toronto’s record year for murders

A police spokesperson said officers tried to perform life-saving measures, but the victim didn’t have any vital signs.

A Toronto Paramedics spokesperson said the victim, who is believed to be in his 20s, was shot in the head numerous times.

Paramedics rushed the man to a trauma centre.


READ MORE:
Toronto police plead for info in 3 unsolved shootings in the city’s northwest

Gotell said officers were canvassing the neighbourhood looking for evidence and surveillance. Members of the canine and forensic identification units were called in to assist with the investigation.

Police hadn’t released details about suspects as of early Wednesday morning.


Wednesday’s shooting came as Toronto has been plagued with many high-profile gun incidents in 2018.

The man’s death is the city’s 89th homicide. Toronto police said the record for the highest number of homicides in a single year, 89, was set in 1991.

Meanwhile, anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-3100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Shooting in Humberlea leaves 1 male dead: police

Published

on

By


Codi Wilson, CP24.com</span>


Published Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:13AM EST


Last Updated Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:00AM EST

One male has died in hospital following a shooting in Humberlea overnight.

Police were called to the area of Ann Arbour Road, located near Albion and Weston roads, at around midnight after residents in the area reported hearing the sound of gunshots.

Officers from 31 Division quickly responded to the scene and found a male in the driver’s seat of a Chrysler 200.

"We located a vehicle here and inside the vehicle we located a male who had been shot," Duty Insp. Jim Gotell told CP24 at the scene on Wednesday morning.

The sergeant who first responded to the shooting performed CPR on the victim, who was without vital signs after sustaining a gunshot wound to the neck.

"The male was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook Hospital but unfortunately he was pronounced dead," Gotell said.

Police have not yet released the name or age of the victim but say he did not reside in the area where he was found.

"At this point in time, the investigation is now being turned over to the homicide squad," Gotell said.

Homicide Det. Mike Carbone is leading the investigation.

"We have our police dogs. We have out forensics people. We are currently investigating what happened," Gotell added.

Bullet holes were visible in one of the doors of the Chrysler.

Investigators have not provided any information on possible suspects but witnesses reported seeing a person running through backyards in the area.

The fatal shooting is Toronto’s 89th homicide of 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Man shot to death in north end is Toronto's 89th homicide this year — tying grim record set in 1991

Published

on

By


A male was shot to death overnight Wednesday in north Toronto, marking the city's 89th homicide of this year — tying a grim statistical record that has stood for nearly three decades. 

Police were called to the area of Albion and Weston roads around midnight after some 10 gunshots were reported. 

Officers found one male victim badly injured and "without vital signs." He was taken to a trauma centre, where he later died of his wounds. 

Police did not have information about possible suspects.

Homicide detectives were at the scene early Wednesday. 

The victim's death brings to the total of slayings in Toronto this year to 89, a figure that has stood as the most homicides in a single year in the city. It was set in 1991. 

More to come

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: