Ontario minister confident Toronto election date feasible as province pushes to pass bill on council cuts - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Ontario minister confident Toronto election date feasible as province pushes to pass bill on council cuts

Published

on



TORONTO – The Ontario government says there’s still plenty of time for candidates in Toronto’s fall election to debate issues of importance to residents, despite an ongoing battle between the province and the city over the size of council.

Environment Minister Rod Phillips says those conversations can still take place before the Oct. 22 vote, noting that provincial election campaigns are 30 days long.

Story continues below

His comments come amid concerns that the province’s move to slash council to 25 seats from 47 has dominated discourse among voters, leaving little room for topics like transit or affordable housing.


READ MORE:
Government memo says Ontario Legislature will sit for rare weekend session

The Progressive Conservative government reintroduced its council-cutting legislation this week after a judge found the original legislation was unconstitutional.

Premier Doug Ford invoked a rarely used constitutional provision to ensure the new bill’s implementation, drawing criticism from many who said he wasn’t using the provision as intended.

VIDEO: Premier Ford speaks to Global News about reintroduction of bill to cut Toronto city council






Meanwhile, the official in charge of running Toronto’s election has said it’s becoming “virtually impossible” to ensure a fair vote next month.


READ MORE:
25 Toronto MPs slam Ford for using notwithstanding clause, urge MPPs to defeat bill

Legislators will be called back to Queen’s Park on Saturday at 1 p.m. to help speed up debate on the bill, dubbed the Efficient Local Government Act.

Both Ontario’s NDP and Liberal party have vowed to introduce amendments to the bill that could potentially delay its passage.

VIDEO: Trudeau backs Toronto City Council in legal fight with Doug Ford






The NDP said Thursday it will challenge the bill under rules that preclude legislators from introducing substantially the same bill twice in one session and bar the legislature from debating an item currently before the courts.


READ MORE:
Toronto council votes to challenge law that would slash wards amid election day uncertainty

In a statement Thursday night, Tory House Leader Todd Smith confirmed the government is willing to sit this weekend to move the legislation forward.

“While the NDP are playing procedural games to delay the passage of the Efficient Local Government Act, the PCs are willing to work around the clock through the weekend to speed up the passage of the bill,” Smith said.

VIDEO: Toronto city council holds emergency meeting after Ford government reintroduces bill to cut wards






Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

With man's fatal shooting, 2018 ties for Toronto's deadliest year on record

Published

on

By



With the shooting death of a man in Toronto‘s west end Wednesday morning, the total number of homicides in the city this year has tied with a record high number of deaths set almost three decades ago.

Emergency crews were called to Ann Arbour Road, a residential side street east of Weston and Albion roads, shortly after midnight.

Story continues below

“We received several 911 calls for the sound of gunshots,” Toronto Police Duty Inspector Jim Gotell told reporters early Wednesday morning.

“Police attended the scene and we located a vehicle with a male victim inside who had been shot.”


READ MORE:
Looking back at 1991, Toronto’s record year for murders

A police spokesperson said officers tried to perform life-saving measures, but the victim didn’t have any vital signs.

A Toronto Paramedics spokesperson said the victim, who is believed to be in his 20s, was shot in the head numerous times.

Paramedics rushed the man to a trauma centre.


READ MORE:
Toronto police plead for info in 3 unsolved shootings in the city’s northwest

Gotell said officers were canvassing the neighbourhood looking for evidence and surveillance. Members of the canine and forensic identification units were called in to assist with the investigation.

Police hadn’t released details about suspects as of early Wednesday morning.


Wednesday’s shooting came as Toronto has been plagued with many high-profile gun incidents in 2018.

The man’s death is the city’s 89th homicide. Toronto police said the record for the highest number of homicides in a single year, 89, was set in 1991.

Meanwhile, anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-3100 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Shooting in Humberlea leaves 1 male dead: police

Published

on

By


Codi Wilson, CP24.com</span>


Published Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:13AM EST


Last Updated Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:00AM EST

One male has died in hospital following a shooting in Humberlea overnight.

Police were called to the area of Ann Arbour Road, located near Albion and Weston roads, at around midnight after residents in the area reported hearing the sound of gunshots.

Officers from 31 Division quickly responded to the scene and found a male in the driver’s seat of a Chrysler 200.

"We located a vehicle here and inside the vehicle we located a male who had been shot," Duty Insp. Jim Gotell told CP24 at the scene on Wednesday morning.

The sergeant who first responded to the shooting performed CPR on the victim, who was without vital signs after sustaining a gunshot wound to the neck.

"The male was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook Hospital but unfortunately he was pronounced dead," Gotell said.

Police have not yet released the name or age of the victim but say he did not reside in the area where he was found.

"At this point in time, the investigation is now being turned over to the homicide squad," Gotell said.

Homicide Det. Mike Carbone is leading the investigation.

"We have our police dogs. We have out forensics people. We are currently investigating what happened," Gotell added.

Bullet holes were visible in one of the doors of the Chrysler.

Investigators have not provided any information on possible suspects but witnesses reported seeing a person running through backyards in the area.

The fatal shooting is Toronto’s 89th homicide of 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Man shot to death in north end is Toronto's 89th homicide this year — tying grim record set in 1991

Published

on

By


A male was shot to death overnight Wednesday in north Toronto, marking the city's 89th homicide of this year — tying a grim statistical record that has stood for nearly three decades. 

Police were called to the area of Albion and Weston roads around midnight after some 10 gunshots were reported. 

Officers found one male victim badly injured and "without vital signs." He was taken to a trauma centre, where he later died of his wounds. 

Police did not have information about possible suspects.

Homicide detectives were at the scene early Wednesday. 

The victim's death brings to the total of slayings in Toronto this year to 89, a figure that has stood as the most homicides in a single year in the city. It was set in 1991. 

More to come

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Canada News Media

%d bloggers like this: