Connect with us

Business

2 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Nova Scotia – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Two new cases of COVID-19 were reported Monday in Nova Scotia, bringing the number of total active cases in the province to 15.

The new cases are related to travel outside Atlantic Canada, according to a news release from the Department of Health and Wellness.

One case is a person in the Northern Zone, which includes Colchester East Hants, Cumberland and Pictou. They are self-isolating as required.

The other case is in the Central Zone and is connected to the two cases reported Sunday. The three linked cases are under investigation.

Nova Scotia Health also warned the public Monday of a potential exposure to COVID-19 last week.

It was at a Fit4Less gym at 1535 Dresden Row, between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Oct. 26. Anyone there during that time is asked to monitor for symptoms, which could develop up to Nov. 9.

Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs completed 466 tests on Sunday. So far, the province has had 1,113 positive tests and 65 deaths. No one is currently in hospital for COVID-19.

The latest numbers from around the Atlantic bubble are:

  • New Brunswick reported no new cases Monday. It has 33 active cases, down from 35 the day before. 
  • Newfoundland and Labrador reported no new cases Sunday. It has three active cases. A presumptive positive case reported Saturday turned out to be negative.
  • P.E.I. reported no active cases.

Symptoms

Anyone with one of the following symptoms should visit the COVID-19 self-assessment website or call 811:

  • Fever.
  • Cough or worsening of a previous cough.

Anyone with two or more of the following symptoms is also asked to visit the website or call 811:

  • Sore throat.
  • Headache.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Runny nose.
MORE TOP STORIES

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Ontario reports more than 1800 new cases of COVID-19, ICU admissions continue to rise – CTV Toronto

Published

 on


TORONTO —
Ontario reported a rise in the number of patients battling COVID-19 in the province’s intensive care units Thursday, as it also marked a single-day increase in the number of new cases.

Health officials confirmed 1,824 new cases of the novel coronavirus after several days of case numbers above the 1,700 mark, but clarified that the number might be slightly skewed due to a data processing error.

The province suggested that today’s case total might have been smaller if the data processing error had not occurred. Due to the error, officials said the province’s case total on Thursday included 127 cases from Middlesex-London Health Unit, which counted infections reported over the past three days.

On Thursday, officials also reported that 14 more people have died due to COVID-19. Just the day before, the province stated that 35 more people died due to the disease. Most of the patients who died were residents of long-term care homes.

More than 600 people are battling the disease in hospitals across the province with 195 patients now in intensive care. Of those patients, 107 are on ventilators.

The province has said that once the number of COVID-19 patients in Ontario’s intensive care units surpasses 150, it becomes more difficult for hospitals to support medical needs not related to the disease. Once that number surpasses 300, the government says it becomes nearly impossible.

Latest modelling data presented by health officials on Nov. 26 predicted that more than 200 COVID-19 patients would need to receive care in ICUs in Ontario “under any circumstance” in December. The data suggested that the number might climb over the 300 mark by mid-December.

The total number of lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ontario now stands at 121,746, including 3,712 deaths and the 103,239 recoveries.

Where are the COVID-19 cases in Ontario?

The three COVID-19 hot spots continue to be the most impacted regions in the province. Locally, Peel Region confirmed 592 new cases, Toronto confirmed 396 new cases and York Region confirmed 187 new cases.

Toronto and Peel Region are currently in lockdown in order to curb the spread of the disease. The province closed non-essential businesses in these regions, including shopping malls, personal care services and gyms, for 28 days.

Several other regions in Ontario reported COVID-19 case numbers in the triple and double digits on Thursday.

Waterloo reported 87 new cases, Halton Region reported 68 new cases, Windsor-Essex reported 62 new cases, Durham Region reported 57 new cases, Hamilton reported 56 new cases and Ottawa reported 42 new cases.

Most of the new cases of COVID-19 reported on Thursday involve people under the age of 80. Seventy-eight infections involved people over the age of 80.

There were 728 cases in people between the ages of 20 and 39, at least 499 in people between the ages of 40 and 59 and 251 in people between the ages of 60 and 79. There were 261 cases in people under the age of 19.

COVID-19 testing in Ontario

The province marked an increase in testing numbers on Thursday, saying they completed 52,873 tests over a 24-hour period. Ontario’s COVID-19 positivity rate now stands at 4.4 per cent.

For a number of days now, the province had been reporting testing numbers below their daily goal of 50,000.

In total, Ontario has processed more than 6.4 million tests since the pandemic began in January. There are 58,320 COVID-19 tests still under investigation. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Lack of raw materials blamed for slashed supply target of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A lack of raw materials used in the manufacture of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine played a role in the company’s decision to slash its 2020 production target, a spokeswoman told Reuters.

Pfizer has said in recent weeks that it anticipates producing 50 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine this year. That is down from an earlier target of 100 million doses. Pfizer’s vaccine relies on a two-dose regimen, meaning 50 million doses is enough to inoculate 25 million people.

A company spokeswoman said the “scale-up of the raw material supply chain took longer than expected.” She also cited later-than-expected results from Pfizer’s clinical trial as a reason for the smaller number of doses expected to be produced by the end of 2020.

The spokeswoman added that the modifications to Pfizer’s production lines are now complete and finished doses are being made at a rapid pace.

The Wall Street Journal was the first to report the news. It reported that an unnamed person directly involved in the development of the Pfizer vaccine said “some early batches of the raw materials failed to meet the standards,” which caused production delays.

Pfizer applied in November for emergency authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine from U.S. regulators. U.S. officials said they expect its vaccine to get regulatory clearance this month. The U.S. government expects its first allocation of the vaccine to include 6.4 million doses, with more to follow.

Regulators in the U.K. have already authorized Pfizer’s vaccine for use in that country.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Pfizer slashing COVID-19 vaccine doses from 100M to 50M due to ‘production quality issues’ – 680 News

Published

 on


Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer is now expecting to ship only half of its COVID-19 vaccines it originally planned for by the end of this year because of supply-chain problems.

A company spokesperson tells the Wall Street Journal that the scaling up of the raw material supply chain took longer than expected.

Pfizer and it’s German-based partner hoped to roll out 100 million vaccines world-wide by December 31; that plan has now been reduced to 50 million.

The company still expects to ship more than a billion doses in 2021.

In mid-November, Ontario’s Health Minister Christine Elliott said that Canada is expected to receive millions of doses in the coming months.

The country is expected to receive four million doses of Pfizer’s vaccine and two million doses of Moderna’s between January and March.

Subsequently, Elliott said that Ontario will get roughly 1.6 million doses of Pfizer’s vaccine and around 800,000 of Moderna’s for proper distribution.

On Wednesday, Pfizer and BioNTech won permission for emergency use of their COVID-19 vaccine in Britain. The move allowed Britain to become one of the first countries to begin vaccinating its population.

In a series of tweets, Canada’s Health Minister, Patty Hajdu, described the United Kingdom’s decision to authorize the Pfizer’s vaccine as “encouraging.”

The federal government has been facing criticism on vaccines since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau admitted last week that other countries with domestic vaccine production are likely to inoculate their citizens first before shipping doses to Canada.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending