Autopsies complete on bodies of B.C. Murder Suspect - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us


Autopsies complete on bodies of B.C. Murder Suspect



Autopsies on two bodies found by police in northern Manitoba during a search for B.C. fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod are complete, an RCMP spokesperson confirmed Sunday.

Sgt. Paul Manaigre said RCMP have formalities to complete before they can officially identify the bodies. However, he said it’s believed the bodies are those of the suspects.

More details could be released as soon as Monday by RCMP in B.C., Manaigre said, adding it will ultimately be up to Mounties in that province to release any information.

“Under the Fatality Inquiries Act, there’s a few procedures that need to be carried out in order for us to … say with absolute certainty that these are the two people,” Manaigre said.

“So we’re just kind of waiting on those formalities to be done and then that information will be shared.”

Police said on Aug. 7 they believed they’d found the bodies of McLeod, 19, and Schmegelsky, whose 19th birthday was Aug. 4, ending a lengthy cross-Canada search that made headlines around the world.

Police scoured more than 11,000 square kilometres in northern Manitoba — an area about twice the size of P.E.I. (Gilbert Rowan/CBC)

The two men are charged with second-degree murder in the death of botanist Leonard Dyck. The 64-year-old was found dead July 19 at a highway pullout about two kilometres from a burnt-out camper truck — believed to be driven by McLeod and Schmegelsky — south of the B.C.’s Stikine River Bridge on Highway 37.

The pair is also suspected in the killings of a young couple, Lucas Fowler, 23, an Australian, and Chynna Deese, 24, an American. Their bodies were found on Alaska Highway, south of Liard Hot Springs, B.C., on July 15.

13-day search in northern Manitoba

Police scoured more than 11,000 square kilometres in northern Manitoba — an area about twice the size of P.E.I. — and logged more than 4,500 hours during the 13-day search for the two B.C. fugitives, after a burned-out Toyota RAV4 was found near Fox Lake Cree Nation on July 22. Police believe the suspects had been driving the vehicle and confirmed it belonged to Dyck.

Police announced they were scaling down the search on July 31, after nine days of unsuccessful searching. But two days later, on Aug. 2, a damaged boat and several personal items linked to the fugitives were found along the Nelson River, which flows between Gillam, Man., and Fox Lake.

A still taken from surveillance footage released by the RCMP shows Kam McLeod, left, and Bryer Schmegelsky leaving a store in Meadow Lake, Sask., on July 21. (RCMP)

The bodies were found on Aug. 7 in dense brush, eight kilometres northeast of where the vehicle was found and one kilometre from where the personal items were located.

Manaigre said Manitoba RCMP remain in the area in case more leads develop to assist B.C. homicide investigators.

“We think we’re kind of closing in on the end,” he said. “Until we’re certain that we’re done here we’ve got to keep some resources in play in case they’re needed.”

Manaigre, who participated in police searches after the bodies were found, said the search was gruelling.

“We were describing it over the last couple of weeks as being some pretty dense bush and some pretty remarkable terrain — in my opinion that’s almost an understatement,” he said.

“It was incredible. The steep hills, you’ve got a fast moving river with very little riverbank. … It’s unimaginable how … you could traverse that type of area.”

Manaigre said there is still no indication of a motive in the B.C. killings.

That’s going to be the biggest puzzle to solve in this investigation,” he said. “And we hope we can get some answers on that question.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading


Liberals block ethics commissioner from testifying about SNC-Lavalin report




The Liberal majority on the House ethics committee voted down an opposition motion to have Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion testify about his report which found that Justin Trudeau violated the Conflict of Interest Act over the SNC-Lavalin affair. Vassy Kapelos gets reaction from MPs on the committee. Plus, the Power Panel breaks down the Ford government’s changes to Ontario’s sex-education curriculum.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading


Joshua Boyle worried about what his wife might tell police




Joshua Boyle

After calling 911 to report that his wife was missing and suicidal, Joshua Boyle told an Ottawa police sergeant that he was also worried what she might tell authorities when she was found.

“He told me he was concerned, as any husband would be, with what Caitlan (Coleman) would say to us when we found her,” Sgt. Shane Henderson told court Tuesday.

Henderson was one of the first officers to respond to Boyle’s 911 emergency call late on the night of Dec. 30, 2017. A recording of that call was played in court Tuesday.

The 911 call was made at 11:47 p.m. from a Centretown address.

Boyle told the dispatcher that his wife was threatening to kill herself. He said she was alone in her room then ran outside, and was “screaming at the top of her lungs that she was going to kill herself.”

He said she had borderline personality disorder, PTSD, “extreme mental instability” and other issues.

“I am very worried for her right now,” he said in the telephone recording, played in court.


Boyle told police his wife was wearing a hijab scarf on her head, but did not have a coat and may not have shoes.

Before she left the apartment, Boyle said they had an argument that “turned into rabid self-loathing, a panic attack, something, I’m not sure.”

“I had asked her to stay in her room,” he said.

“It shouldn’t be long,” the dispatcher told Boyle. “We’ll get some officers to see you there, OK?”

“OK,” Boyle replied. “Just try to be gentle with her: She is really going through a rough time.”

Sgt. Henderson was the first officer on scene, and went to Boyle’s apartment at 12:05 a.m.

Boyle repeated what he had told the dispatcher, and said his wife had initially raced up the stairs towards another apartment in the three-storey apartment block. Henderson testified: “He told me that he did not want to drag Caitlan back into the apartment or did not want to hit her.”

Henderson and another officer went to the second apartment and interviewed the young man who lived there. The tenant said he had heard someone banging on his back door 20 minutes earlier, but did not answer it.

Court heard that the officers searched the back staircase and yard but could not locate Coleman so they returned to Boyle’s apartment for more information.

According to Henderson, Boyle said Coleman was particularly stressed because her mother was in town, and she was worried about the state of their apartment. They had also argued, Boyle told Henderson, about drawing on walls and “Caitlan, as a wife, not performing her roles and responsibilities as a mother.”

Boyle told Henderson that he wanted Coleman to stay in her room and calm down. “He told me he kept the door open and at no time prevented her from leaving,” Henderson testified.

“He said he offered to have sex with Caitlan if she wanted to.”

When Henderson asked if Coleman had a cellphone, Boyle reached on top of the fridge and retrieved a flip phone.

Henderson asked what it was doing there. “Boyle said he took the phone away to make sure she did not break the phone as she had broken phones in the past,” Henderson testified.

Boyle is on trial on 19 charges, including assault, sexual assault and forcible confinement.

His wife Caitlan Coleman, with whom he was held hostage in Afghanistan, is the principal complainant in the case. She’s expected to testify Wednesday.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading


Tanker crash kills one, injures nine near Cereal Alberta




Tanker crash

“One of the semi trucks was hauling fuel and that fuel ignited,” said RCMP Cpl. Laurel Scott. “So, that caused other vehicles in the collision to catch fire. A second semi was hauling butane and that’s caused a concern.”

A release from RCMP also confirmed the collision area is “consumed with flames.”

As a result of the second truck hauling butane, a preliminary evacuation order had been issued for the hamlet of Chinook.

By 9:00 pm, Alberta Emergency Alert officially rescinded the evacuation order for the community.

STARS Air Ambulance has flown one person to hospital in Calgary in serious, potentially life-threatening condition while HALO transported another individual in serious condition.

Brideaux also confirmed to Global News that six people have been treated at the scene and are likely to be released.

RCMP are also reaching out to anyone who was a part of or was witness to the domino crash, asking them to meet with officers in nearby Oyen.

“We’re asking those people to attend the Legion in Oyen,” said Scott. “Right now the Legion has been opened, food is available at the Legion, our Victims Services Unit members are at the Legion, and we have an RCMP member or members at the Legion. So, anybody who was a part of this collision, witness or needing some assistance in relation to the collision, is asked to go to the Legion.”

There is no word yet on the original cause of the fatal crash, as Scott added it will be several hours before a collision analyst is able to attend the scene.

“We will have a collision analyst attending,” she said. “But, I can tell you that collision analyst is not able and has not been able to look at the scene to do any examination or investigation.”

Traffic has since been rerouted from Highway 9 to Highway 884 eastbound and Highway 41 westbound.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading