Canadian military bans sexually explicit - Canadanewsmedia
Connect with us

News

Canadian military bans sexually explicit

Published

on

Canadian military

Canadian military members are being warned against getting certain tattoos, including those that could be deemed discriminatory or sexually explicit, as the armed forces tries to crack down on misconduct and intolerance in the ranks.

The warning is contained in a new order issued Monday by Gen. Jonathan Vance, Canada’s chief of the defence staff, that provides the most specific guidance yet around what tattoos are considered acceptable – and which ones could result in disciplinary measures.

The directive happens to follow a recent incident in Halifax in which a sailor was criticized for sporting a tattoo featuring the word “infidel”’ in the shape of a rifle. Work on the new rules predated that controversy, said Canadian Armed Forces spokeswoman 2nd Lt. Stephany Duval.

Following an investigation, the Royal Canadian Navy said there was no ill intent on the sailor’s part but that he had nonetheless agreed to change his tattoo.

The military’s guidelines previously banned tattoos that were “visible either in military uniform or in civilian clothing that could be deemed to be offensive (e.g., pornographic, blasphemous, racist or containing vulgar language or design) or otherwise reflect discredit on the CAF.”

The new rules, which apply whether a tattoo is visible or not, lay out in much more detail what images are forbidden. In his directive, Vance said the aim was to maintain the military’s positive reputation, “which prioritizes the promotion of diversity, respect and inclusion.”




Tattoos connected to criminal activities such as criminal gangs are now unacceptable as are those that promote or express discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act, including hatred, violence, discrimination or harassment.

Military personnel are also forbidden from sporting ink that they know -“or ought to know” – is racist, sexist, misogynistic, xenophobic, homophobic, discriminatory against the disabled or sexually explicit.

While Duval said the new guidelines were intended to provide more clarity for service members, some have nonetheless expressed confusion and concern on social media over whether they will be forced to change their tattoos.

Much of the discussion centred around whether all tattoos of women such as pictures of pin-up girls, which were often painted on military vehicles during the Second World War and remain popular with many soldiers today, are now completely banned.

Service members who are unsure whether their tattoos pass muster can check with a commanding officer, Duval said. If a design is deemed over the line, they will be required to remove or alter the images – at their own cost – or risk being punished.

The new guidelines comes as senior commanders fight sexual misconduct in the ranks, an effort that has generated mixed results over the past four years – many soldiers, sailors and air force members have continued to report such incidents.

They also follow concerns about some military personnel associating with motorcycle gangs and white-supremacist groups, with military intelligence officials saying in a report last year that 30 were part of a hate group or had made statements that were discriminatory or racist.

The report, obtained by The Canadian Press through the Access to Information Act, also said current and former military members “find that their skills are valued, giving structure to these groups and allowing them to gain positions of leadership.”

“I’d say that’s what it’s really about: a ready way to keep extremists and serious gang members out of the (Canadian Armed Forces),” said Royal Military College professor Christian Leuprecht of the new rules on tattoos.

Defence analyst David Perry of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute said the new rules could nonetheless be difficult to police, given the personal nature of tattoos and their meanings, which aren’t always immediately obvious.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading

News

Liberals block ethics commissioner from testifying about SNC-Lavalin report

Published

on

By

The Liberal majority on the House ethics committee voted down an opposition motion to have Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion testify about his report which found that Justin Trudeau violated the Conflict of Interest Act over the SNC-Lavalin affair. Vassy Kapelos gets reaction from MPs on the committee. Plus, the Power Panel breaks down the Ford government’s changes to Ontario’s sex-education curriculum.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading

News

Joshua Boyle worried about what his wife might tell police

Published

on

By

Joshua Boyle

After calling 911 to report that his wife was missing and suicidal, Joshua Boyle told an Ottawa police sergeant that he was also worried what she might tell authorities when she was found.

“He told me he was concerned, as any husband would be, with what Caitlan (Coleman) would say to us when we found her,” Sgt. Shane Henderson told court Tuesday.

Henderson was one of the first officers to respond to Boyle’s 911 emergency call late on the night of Dec. 30, 2017. A recording of that call was played in court Tuesday.

The 911 call was made at 11:47 p.m. from a Centretown address.

Boyle told the dispatcher that his wife was threatening to kill herself. He said she was alone in her room then ran outside, and was “screaming at the top of her lungs that she was going to kill herself.”

He said she had borderline personality disorder, PTSD, “extreme mental instability” and other issues.

“I am very worried for her right now,” he said in the telephone recording, played in court.

Related

Boyle told police his wife was wearing a hijab scarf on her head, but did not have a coat and may not have shoes.

Before she left the apartment, Boyle said they had an argument that “turned into rabid self-loathing, a panic attack, something, I’m not sure.”

“I had asked her to stay in her room,” he said.

“It shouldn’t be long,” the dispatcher told Boyle. “We’ll get some officers to see you there, OK?”

“OK,” Boyle replied. “Just try to be gentle with her: She is really going through a rough time.”

Sgt. Henderson was the first officer on scene, and went to Boyle’s apartment at 12:05 a.m.

Boyle repeated what he had told the dispatcher, and said his wife had initially raced up the stairs towards another apartment in the three-storey apartment block. Henderson testified: “He told me that he did not want to drag Caitlan back into the apartment or did not want to hit her.”

Henderson and another officer went to the second apartment and interviewed the young man who lived there. The tenant said he had heard someone banging on his back door 20 minutes earlier, but did not answer it.

Court heard that the officers searched the back staircase and yard but could not locate Coleman so they returned to Boyle’s apartment for more information.

According to Henderson, Boyle said Coleman was particularly stressed because her mother was in town, and she was worried about the state of their apartment. They had also argued, Boyle told Henderson, about drawing on walls and “Caitlan, as a wife, not performing her roles and responsibilities as a mother.”

Boyle told Henderson that he wanted Coleman to stay in her room and calm down. “He told me he kept the door open and at no time prevented her from leaving,” Henderson testified.

“He said he offered to have sex with Caitlan if she wanted to.”

When Henderson asked if Coleman had a cellphone, Boyle reached on top of the fridge and retrieved a flip phone.

Henderson asked what it was doing there. “Boyle said he took the phone away to make sure she did not break the phone as she had broken phones in the past,” Henderson testified.

Boyle is on trial on 19 charges, including assault, sexual assault and forcible confinement.

His wife Caitlan Coleman, with whom he was held hostage in Afghanistan, is the principal complainant in the case. She’s expected to testify Wednesday.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading

News

Tanker crash kills one, injures nine near Cereal Alberta

Published

on

By

Tanker crash

“One of the semi trucks was hauling fuel and that fuel ignited,” said RCMP Cpl. Laurel Scott. “So, that caused other vehicles in the collision to catch fire. A second semi was hauling butane and that’s caused a concern.”

A release from RCMP also confirmed the collision area is “consumed with flames.”

As a result of the second truck hauling butane, a preliminary evacuation order had been issued for the hamlet of Chinook.

By 9:00 pm, Alberta Emergency Alert officially rescinded the evacuation order for the community.

STARS Air Ambulance has flown one person to hospital in Calgary in serious, potentially life-threatening condition while HALO transported another individual in serious condition.

Brideaux also confirmed to Global News that six people have been treated at the scene and are likely to be released.

RCMP are also reaching out to anyone who was a part of or was witness to the domino crash, asking them to meet with officers in nearby Oyen.

“We’re asking those people to attend the Legion in Oyen,” said Scott. “Right now the Legion has been opened, food is available at the Legion, our Victims Services Unit members are at the Legion, and we have an RCMP member or members at the Legion. So, anybody who was a part of this collision, witness or needing some assistance in relation to the collision, is asked to go to the Legion.”

There is no word yet on the original cause of the fatal crash, as Scott added it will be several hours before a collision analyst is able to attend the scene.

“We will have a collision analyst attending,” she said. “But, I can tell you that collision analyst is not able and has not been able to look at the scene to do any examination or investigation.”

Traffic has since been rerouted from Highway 9 to Highway 884 eastbound and Highway 41 westbound.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Continue Reading

Trending