Connect with us

Health

21 new COVID-19 cases reported in Manitoba Saturday – Global News

Published

on


Manitoba public health officials have identified 21 new cases of COVID-19 in the province as of Saturday morning.

This brings the total number of cases in Manitoba to 1,294.

The new cases occurred in the following areas:

• three in the Interlake-Eastern health region
• four in the Prairie Mountain Health region
• four in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region
• ten cases in the Winnipeg health region

The province says preliminary investigations indicate that eight of the cases are related to close contacts adding that investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 1.4 per cent.

Read more:
COVID-19 vaccine task force members have declared 18 conflicts of interests so far

Story continues below advertisement

There are also 426 known active cases and 852 people have recovered from COVID-19.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 16.

Currently, in the province there are 13 people in hospital and two people in intensive care.

Read more:
COVID-19 in three Manitoba care homes

The Manitoba government says case investigations indicate a previously identified case in a health-care worker in the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority is linked to the Concordia Place personal care home.

Health officials say while the risk is assessed to be low, Concordia Place has initiated outbreak protocols in an abundance of caution.

That means the location has put additional measures in place to further reduce the risk to residents and staff, and are restricting visitation. Concordia Place has moved to Critical (red) on the pandemic response system.






3:03
Tips for wearing a face mask and glasses


Tips for wearing a face mask and glasses

Preliminary laboratory testing numbers show an additional 1,494 tests were completed on Friday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 144,212.

Story continues below advertisement

Manitobans are being asked to not go out while you feel ill, practice proper hand hygiene, covering your cough and physical distancing when you are with people outside your household.

The province adds that if you cannot physically distance, you should wear a mask.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Sask. police visiting recent travellers to check compliance with mandatory self-isolation – CBC.ca

Published

on


Police in Saskatchewan are checking-up on people who are in mandatory self-isolation after returning from international travel.

Regina Police Service spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich said Tuesday that police receive a daily list from the Saskatchewan Health Authority of people who have recently travelled. 

“We dispatch a police car to the home address to ensure that the person is in fact doing that mandatory 14-day isolation,” said Popowich. 

“And if they’re not, then we refer it back to the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) for further action as per the public health order.” 

Saskatoon police and the RCMP are also doing visits to check on compliance with the provincial order, which states anyone who has travelled internationally must isolate for two weeks. 

People who are isolating are allowed to be outside on their own property, such as a backyard or balcony, and they can take solitary walks if they do not have symptoms. 

Non-compliance referred back to health authority

Popowich said police do not issue immediate fines if a person does not open the door. Instead, they report back to the SHA to follow up. 

CBC has contacted the SHA for more information about the police visits and who initiated them.

Regina and Saskatoon police have both been doing check-ups since April.

‘There are consequences’ 

Police could issue a fine if someone is found to be repeatedly violating isolation after multiple checkups, but Popowich said she is not aware of any such fines being issued so far.

She said there are some instances where people may not receive a visit from police, for example if there is a mistake in the address or if police receive the information late in the quarantine period.

“Don’t risk getting a fine. Certainly don’t risk potentially carrying an infection to someone who is not as easily able to handle the illness,” she said.

“Treat it as though you could be paid a visit if you’ve been out of the country and you’re not self-isolating. If you’re not, then there are consequences.”

Popowich said Regina police have enough resources to take on the role of checking compliance. 

“Those calls get dispatched at a time when typically our other call loads are lower,” she said. 

In April, a Regina woman who had been diagnosed with COVID-19 was fined $2,800 for allegedly not complying with the order to self-isolate.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Sask. Party first to 61 candidates – Prince Albert Daily Herald

Published

on


With its last nominee acclaimed Saturday, the Saskatchewan Party became the province’s first this election cycle to nominate a full slate of candidates.

There are 61 constituencies in Saskatchewan. The opposition NDP has 45 candidates listed on its website so far. The progressive conservatives are next, with 15, while the Saskatchewan Green Party has at least 13 — 11 listed on its website and another two by Elections Saskatchewan. This election’s newcomer, the Buffalo Party (formerly Wexit Saskatchewan) has nominated five and the Saskatchewan Liberals four.

Three independent candidates have also been listed by Elections Saskatchewan — Nestor Mryglod in Regina Wascana Plains, Trevor Wowk in Regina Lakeview and Rolf Hartloff in Regina Elphinstone-Centre.

Information about becoming an independent candidate is available on the Elections Saskatchewan Website.

The latest Sask. Party candidate — and the 61st to be nominated ahead of October’s provincial election, is Darren Deschambeault in Cumberland.

In a press release, he said he is looking forward to having representation from the region in Scott Moe’s government.

“Providing strong leadership and a real voice for the people of Cumberland in the legislature will help with a strong recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.

Deschambeault was born and raised in Cumberland House, and currently works as a communications consultant for an oil and gas company.  He disclosed a 2001 impaired driving conviction that he has since received a pardon for.

Deschambeault will go up against incumbent NDP MLA Doyle Vermette and Saskatchewan progressive conservative candidate Dean Foster.

“With a full slate of 61 candidates nominated, Premier Scott Moe and the Saskatchewan Party team will be meeting voters in every part of the province to present their plan for a strong Saskatchewan and a strong economic recovery from the pandemic,” the Sask. Party said.

Locally, nominees are as follows:

Rosthern-Shellbrook

• Scott Moe, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

Saskatchewan Rivers

• Nadine Wilson, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Lyle Whitefish, NDP

• Shaun Harris, Progressive Conservative

Melfort

• Todd Goudy , Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Lorne Schroeder, NDP

• Dave Waldner, Buffalo

Batoche

• Delbert Kirsch, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Lon Borgerson (NDP)

Prince Albert Carlton

• Joe Hargrave, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Troy Parenteau, NDP

Prince Albert Northcote

• Nicole Rancourt, NDP (incumbent)

• Alanna Ross, Saskatchewan Party

• Sarah Kraynick, Green Party

The provincial election is set for October 26.

-Advertisement-

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Active COVID-19 cases up slightly in Red Deer and Central zone – rdnewsnow.com

Published

on


By Sheldon Spackman

Tuesday Update

Sep 22, 2020 5:06 PM

Alberta is reporting 150 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday.

The latest numbers released by the province show 16,889 cases of coronavirus identified in the province since the pandemic began, with the number of active cases now at 1,565 – up 106 from Monday.

The number of people in hospital with the virus is 51 with nine in intensive care and two more deaths, bringing the death toll to 258. Recovered cases now stand at 15,066.

In the Central zone, the number of active cases is up four to 24, while 629 have recovered. There are currently no hospitalizations due to COVID-19 in the Central Zone.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending