24-year-old credits free Ontario program for helping her overcome anxiety and depression - CTV News - Canada News Media
Connect with us

Business

24-year-old credits free Ontario program for helping her overcome anxiety and depression – CTV News

Published

on


TORONTO —
Time and money – along with stigma – are often cited as barriers to getting treatment for mental health. But, a program called BounceBack addresses all those concerns.

For 24-year old Shealyn Ivany, it turned out to be the only formal type of mental health treatment she needed after she graduated from the University of Toronto in 2017.

“A lot of my anxiety and depression was situational at that time, because of the uncertainty that I felt in my life and within myself.”

She had always been a high achiever in school but was unable to find a fulfilling job after university and fell into depression.

A solo trip to Banff, Alta. gave her time for introspection and confidence that she could succeed with some help.

Her physician referred her to BounceBack, a phone-based service for anyone above the age of 15.

BounceBack helps people with mild to moderate anxiety or depression, or even those having difficulty with stress. Clients can be referred by a doctor or be self-referred. The program began in British Columbia and was brought to Ontario five years ago.

banff

Rebecca Shields, CEO of the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) in York Region said “this is a program that they can access over the phone and they get connected to a coach who can help them work through an individualized program.”

Clients call in and set up an appointment to talk with their own personal “coach,” who will teach them CBT – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

CBT is a method of modifying one’s thinking and behaviour to reduce anxiety. To attend an in-person session on this method can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, which is money Ivany didn’t have as a newly graduated student. Furthermore, she was concerned about the amount of time and travel that might be involved in seeking treatment.

BounceBack is free – managed by the CMHA. Coaches are available between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on weekdays and between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on weekends. As well, since it is done over the phone, it’s discreet and there’s no travel time involved.

Clients are given a series of workbooks, chosen specifically to address their own individual problems, such as difficulty sleeping or being assertive.

workbook

“I like to think of it as guided self-help” Ivany said. “So you check in with your BounceBack coach every month but for the majority of the time it’s just you with these worksbooks that address areas you want to work on.”

She spent five months doing the BounceBack program and says she’s doing fine now. She writes and speaks about mental health to groups and she’s started her own website – livingembrace.ca – to give hope to others.

As she contemplates the importance of Bell Let’s Talk Day, she says “I love how these initiatives bring attention to the topic in such a widespread way on days like Bell Let’s Talk Day but for me, I really believe this is something we need to talk about every other day of the year as well.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

CN Rail Q4 earnings drop following week-long strike, weaker freight demand – BNNBloomberg.ca

Published

on


MONTREAL – Canadian National Railway Co. saw its profits plunge last quarter with a week-long strike and thinner freight demand denting revenues, though CEO JJ Ruest expressed cautious optimism about the second half of 2020.

“The trade environment, when you look at how negative it was last year and how things seem to be at least turning, in the quarters to come we will start to see some of the positives of that. I know at the same time nothing is guaranteed,” he said Tuesday during a conference call with analysts.

The pending ratification of the new North American free trade pact “can only be positive – it’s not going to be a huge positive, but rather than going backwards we’re going to be moving forwards,” Ruest added.

The country’s largest railway says net income dropped 24 per cent to $873 million in the quarter ended Dec. 31, compared with $1.14 billion in the same period in 2018.

“We continued to witness weaker volumes driven by softness in the general economy and were also impacted by the conductors’ strike in the quarter,” chief financial officer Ghislain Houle said on a conference call with analysts Tuesday.

The eight-day strike by 3,200 conductors and yard workers last November – the longest rail strike since 2012 – brought the railway to a near halt, stopping shipments, triggering layoffs and disrupting industries across the country.

Keith Reardon, who oversees the company’s consumer product supply chain, said the work stoppage “impacted our domestic business for close to a month.”

With the exception of container shipping, the company suffered lower revenues across the board. Its two biggest bulk products took a significant hit, as revenue from petroleum and chemicals dropped seven per cent and grain and fertilizers fell six per cent.

The wind-down of the GM car plant in Oshawa, Ont., did little to bolster volume in the automotive category, where revenue fell eight per cent.

Revenue from containers, which accounts for more than a quarter of all freight income, rose by four per cent, however.

“Efficiency measures all worsened, which we attribute largely to the strike,” said analyst Jim Corridore of CFRA Research in a note.

Ruest said CN will scale down its capital program, but still aims to invest $3 billion in capital expenditures this year versus a total of $7.4 billion over the past two years.

“We need to grow the pie. Just exchanging pieces of pie – that’s not a long-term solution,” he said, citing a “turbulent economic environment.”

“We’ll have to do quite a bit of self-help,” he said on the conference call.

Fourth-quarter revenue fell six per cent to $3.58 billion versus $3.81 billion the year before, CN said.

On an adjusted basis, diluted earnings decreased to $1.25 per share, 16 per cent lower than $1.49 per share 12 months prior.

The result notched above analyst expectations of $1.20 per share – which came following a revised forecast from CN in December – according to financial markets data firm Refinitiv.

Full-year revenues rose four per cent to $14.92 billion and profits dipped three per cent to $4.22 billion.

The board of directors approved a seven per cent increase in the 2020 dividend on the Montreal-based company’s common shares.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

In ride-hailing dispute with the province, Doug McCallum can win even if he loses – CBC.ca

Published

on


People hoping for a quick dispute in Surrey’s ride-hailing standoff may be waiting much longer than it takes to hail a cab from YVR.

“The province’s role is really to establish the framework for ride-hailing and make sure that it gets up and running,” said Transportation Minister Claire Trevena, when asked if the government would take immediate steps to stop Surrey from issuing $500 fines to Uber drivers, as Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum has threatened.

“We’re aware that Surrey is denying issuing business licenses to try to block ride-hailing. We hope that they can sort out their business licenses with the others in the region.”

In other words, the province is content — at least in the short-term — to see how potential legal battles, and talks between municipalities to create a regional business licence, go. 

The group overseeing those negotiations is the TransLink Mayors’ Council. While they’re meeting on Thursday, any proposed bylaw isn’t expected until late February or March, and there’s no guarantee Surrey will even participate in the process. 

And while the stalemate continues, and Uber turns to the courts, the opposition party wants the government to intervene.

“It’s government’s obligation now to ensure that the laws are being followed,” said B.C. Liberal MLA Stephanie Cadieux, who represents the riding of Surrey-Panorama.

“The citizens of Surrey have been waiting for this … and it’s time for government to step in and ensure that they have that opportunity.”

Cities governed by the province

In any dispute between a province and a city, the province tends to holds the upper hand. 

“Usually a local government official will huff and puff, but be pretty careful not to dare the provincial government,” said Frank Leonard, the former President of the Union of B.C. Municipalities and longtime Mayor of Saanich.

While municipalities have many powers, they are constitutionally creatures of the province. In B.C., they’re governed via the Community Charter — which the government amended months ago to prevent cities from putting in a veto around ride-hailing. 

Doug McCallum speaks with Stephen Quinn about the decision to bar Uber and Lyft from entering the Surrey transportation market. 15:06

Leonard recalled plenty of disputes during his time in government where a city tried to press a dispute with the province, including debates over the proposed Canada Line. 

But they usually ended the same way.  

“The first thing a local government says is ‘well, we are independent within our jurisdiction. This is our jurisdiction. Go away,'” said Leonard.

“But the rulebook is owned by the provincial government.” 

Uber has been operating in Surrey, B.C., since receiving approval last week from B.C.’s independent Passenger Transportation Board. McCallum says the company is operating illegally without a city business licence. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

Politics matter as much as policy

However, these sorts of disputes are about more than just what’s in the rules.

“We can talk legal logistics and legislation, but at the same time can’t ignore the politics of the situation,” said Leonard.

While one can question how people in Surrey feel about ride-hailing, all six NDP MLAs from Surrey did not respond to requests for comment from CBC News on Tuesday.

Perhaps another reason why Trevena suggested Uber consider legal action instead of waiting for direct action from her government. 

“If one of the companies … [with] a license for operating ride hailing feels they are being blocked, there is a law in place which says that no municipality can block ride-hailing, and the aggrieved party can test that law,” she said. 

Two hours after she said that, Uber announced they had filed to apply for an injunction in the B.C. Supreme Court. 

Of course, lawsuits can take time to manifest and be ruled on by judges. In the meantime, McCallum can tell people against ride-hailing that he’s fought for them, and Uber drivers could choose to wait until the situation is resolved before risking a $500 fine.   

A frustrating situation for some. But likely not for McCallum. 

“He may not lose if he loses,” said Leonard.

“If … his position is overriden, he doesn’t lose politically because he still fought for his base. That’s sometimes the sorry side of politics. You look to blame somebody else for an outcome.” 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Airlines cut service, suspend flights to China over coronavirus fears – Global News

Published

on


British Airways and Asian budget carriers Lion Air and Seoul Air are suspending flights to China as fears spread about the outbreak of a new virus that has killed more than 130 people.

Several other airlines including Finnair, Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific and Singapore-based Jetstar Asia are reducing the number of flights to the country as demand for travel drops because of the outbreak.

British Airways said Wednesday it is immediately suspending all flights to and from mainland China after the U.K. government warned against unnecessary travel to the country amid a virus outbreak.

READ MORE: Health ministry says 4 Japanese evacuees from Wuhan taken to hospital with cough, fever

The airline operates daily flights from London’s Heathrow Airport to Shanghai and Beijing. It took the measure a day after Britain’s Foreign Office updated its travel advice on China, warning against “all but essential travel” to the mainland, not including Hong Kong and Macao.

Story continues below advertisement

Air Canada said on Jan. 28 it was cancelling select flights to China to better match capacity with expected demand.

Air Seoul, a budget airline, became the first South Korean airline to suspend its fights to mainland Chinese destinations that wasn’t Wuhan, stopping its flights to the cities of Zhangjiajie and Linyi.

Lion Air said it has cancelled more than 50 flights to China well into February. The flights are from five international airports in Denpasar, Manado, Surabaya, Jakarta and Batam to 15 airports in China.






2:00
Ontario confirms first presumptive case of corona virus in Canada


Ontario confirms first presumptive case of corona virus in Canada

Lion Group spokesman Danang Mandala Prihantor said the suspension would be phased in gradually and would continue until further notice.

China has cut off access to Wuhan and 16 other cities to prevent people from leaving and spreading the virus further. The outbreak has infected more than 6,000 on the mainland and abroad.

Hong Kong airlines are cutting the number of their flights to the mainland by about half through the end of March in response to government virus-control efforts.

Cathay Pacific Group said flights to 24 mainland destinations would be reduced to 240 weekly. The company owns Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong Airlines, Cathay Dragon and Hong Kong Express.


READ MORE:
Too early to know if China lockdown effective in limiting coronavirus spread: experts

Story continues below advertisement

Helsinki, Finland-based Finnair, which has actively promoted its position linking Asian and Western destinations, said it was cancelling three weekly flights to Beijing Daxing International Airport through late March, as well as its twice-weekly flights to Nanjing. It will continue operating flights to four other mainland Chinese destinations, including Beijing Capital Airport.

Jetstar Asia said it will temporarily suspend flights to the Chinese cities of Hefei, Guiyang and Xuzhou starting Thursday through the end of March due to a drop in demand.






1:30
Travelers in U.S. don face masks to protest against novel corona virus, though officials say risk of illness in country low


Travelers in U.S. don face masks to protest against novel corona virus, though officials say risk of illness in country low

South Korea’s second-largest carrier, Asiana Airlines, said it will temporarily suspend flights to the Chinese cities of Guilin, Changsha and Haikou starting next month.

Korean Air, South Korea’s biggest airline, said it is also considering grounding some of its flights to mainland China as passenger demand drops. Korean Air had operated four flights a week to the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, before suspending them on Jan. 23.

Taiwan’s Eva Air announced a partial cancellation of flights to and from mainland China for two weeks starting Feb. 2. In addition, the airline also has stopped providing towels, magazines, table clothes, and is limiting blanket and pillow in flight.

— with a file from Reuters

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending