Connect with us

Health

30% of British Columbians would ‘wait and see’ before taking COVID vaccine: poll – Arrow Lakes News

Published

on


Nearly one-third of British Columbians would take a “wait and see” approach to a COVID-19 vaccine, a poll from the Angus Reid Institute suggests.

The poll, released Tuesday (Aug. 4), took an overall look at how Canadians feel about a vaccine against the novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 117,000 people and killed nearly 9,000 across the country. Quebec and Ontario have been hardest hit by the virus, with Alberta seeing recent spikes in cases and B.C. reaching 3,641 cases.

Pollsters found that 30 per cent of British Columbians would wait to see how the vaccine worked, or what its side effects were, before getting the shot. That number was similar Canada-wide at 32 per cent, with Ontario and the Atlantic provinces the most likely to wait at 35 per cent and 34 per cent, respectively, and Quebecers the least likely to wait at 29 per cent. Alberta was equal to B.C. at 30 per cent.

British Columbians were the most likely to get the vaccine right away at 52 per cent, above the country’s average at 46 per cent. Residents of Saskatchewan were the least likely to get the vaccine immediately at 33 per cent, with Alberta next at 41 per cent.

About 61 per cent of Canadians overall said they would be concerned about side effects from a vaccine, while 23 per cent each said they would be concerned about getting infected from taking it, its effectiveness or that COVID-19 is not as serious as people say it is.

Canadians who voted Conservative in 2019 were by far the most likely to think the outbreak was not as serious as others say, at 43 per cent compared to eight per cent for Liberal voters and five per cent for NDP.

Across the country, 14 per cent said they won’t get the vaccine when it becomes available, with Alberta and Saskatchewan least likely to get it at 22 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively. Men were less likely than women to agree to the vaccine, and men between 35 and 54 years old were the least likely overall at 21 per cent.

Health officials worldwide largely believe a vaccine could begin to be distributed as early as January 2021, although according to a Russian state news agency, the country said it will begin a national vaccination campaign in October.

Elsewhere, frontrunner Moderna began phase three trials at the end of July, while several other vaccines made by China and by Britain’s Oxford University, based on different vaccine technologies, began smaller final-stage tests in Brazil and other hard-hit countries earlier this month.

Poll results came from an online survey of 1,519 Canadian adults between July 23 and 24, 2020.

READ MORE: Canada urged to avoid ‘vaccine nationalism’ in race for COVID-19 cure

– With files from The Associated Press


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Students to go into isolation after 1st COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto school – CBC.ca

Published

on


Toronto Public Health has asked two classes of elementary students to go into isolation after it declared an outbreak of COVID-19 at the school this week.

Two students have tested positive for the virus at Glen Park Public School, 101 Englemount Ave., near Lawrence Avenue West and Bathurst Street, in North York. The school runs from kindergarten to grade six.

The two infected students have been isolated to recover from their illness.

Of the classes that have been asked to go into isolation, one has 17 students while the other has 18 students, Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city’s medical officer of health told reporters at a city hall briefing on Friday.

All of the students have been asked to go home as they remain in isolation for 14 days. A teacher is isolating as well.

Ryan Bird, spokesperson for the Toronto District School Board, said in an email to CBC Toronto on Saturday that the students are in split grade 5/6 classes.

“At this point, Glen Park is the only outbreak at the TDSB,” Bird said.

According to De Villa, an school outbreak is defined by the province as at least two confirmed cases of COVID-19 within a 14-day period and with a link to a school setting.

“One of the realities of living in a world with COVID-19 is that there will be cases in schools,” de Villa said on Friday.

“Today’s news is expected. I expect there will be similar announcements in the future and you can be confident the steps developed to manage the situation and reduce the risk of spread will be followed.”

Parents have been notified in writing.

De Villa said the school is following all infection prevention and control measures closely. These measures include requiring students and staff to wear masks and enhanced cleaning of the school.

For a complete list of COVID-19 cases at TDSB schools, the board has created a COVID-19 Advisories webpage.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

SHA warns of COVID-19 exposure at 3 Saskatoon businesses – CKOM News Talk Sports

Published

on


The Saskatchewan Health Authority is warning people in Saskatoon about a potential COVID-19 exposure at three businesses.

A person or group of people were likely infectious with the coronavirus while being at Walmart Supercentre on 225 Betts Avenue on Sept. 19 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., Planet Fitness at Market Mall on Sept. 22 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. and KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive on Sept. 23 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Health officials are asking anyone who was at these locations during the noted dates and times to monitor for symptoms for 14 days and call HealthLine 811 to arrange for testing if symptoms develop.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Protest being held to ‘end the lockdown’ in downtown Toronto – 680 News

Published

on


Over a hundred people gathered at Yonge-Dundas Square Saturday afternoon, many without masks and with little social distancing, calling for an end to the lockdown.

A group on Facebook called “The Line” appeared to be the organizers of the event, which they called the “March for Freedom.”

The protesters are currently walking up Yonge Street towards Bloor Street.

Police are assisting in directing traffic elsewhere to allow for them to pass safely.

Ontario is currently in Stage 3 of their COVID-19 reopening plan, with most businesses allowed to be open.

However, the province has recently introduced new restrictions for bars and restaurants and social gatherings have also been limited to 25 people outdoors and 10 people indoors.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending