Nearly one-third of British Columbians would take a “wait and see” approach to a COVID-19 vaccine, a poll from the Angus Reid Institute suggests.
The poll, released Tuesday (Aug. 4), took an overall look at how Canadians feel about a vaccine against the novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 117,000 people and killed nearly 9,000 across the country. Quebec and Ontario have been hardest hit by the virus, with Alberta seeing recent spikes in cases and B.C. reaching 3,641 cases.
Pollsters found that 30 per cent of British Columbians would wait to see how the vaccine worked, or what its side effects were, before getting the shot. That number was similar Canada-wide at 32 per cent, with Ontario and the Atlantic provinces the most likely to wait at 35 per cent and 34 per cent, respectively, and Quebecers the least likely to wait at 29 per cent. Alberta was equal to B.C. at 30 per cent.
British Columbians were the most likely to get the vaccine right away at 52 per cent, above the country’s average at 46 per cent. Residents of Saskatchewan were the least likely to get the vaccine immediately at 33 per cent, with Alberta next at 41 per cent.
About 61 per cent of Canadians overall said they would be concerned about side effects from a vaccine, while 23 per cent each said they would be concerned about getting infected from taking it, its effectiveness or that COVID-19 is not as serious as people say it is.
Canadians who voted Conservative in 2019 were by far the most likely to think the outbreak was not as serious as others say, at 43 per cent compared to eight per cent for Liberal voters and five per cent for NDP.
Across the country, 14 per cent said they won’t get the vaccine when it becomes available, with Alberta and Saskatchewan least likely to get it at 22 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively. Men were less likely than women to agree to the vaccine, and men between 35 and 54 years old were the least likely overall at 21 per cent.
Health officials worldwide largely believe a vaccine could begin to be distributed as early as January 2021, although according to a Russian state news agency, the country said it will begin a national vaccination campaign in October.
Elsewhere, frontrunner Moderna began phase three trials at the end of July, while several other vaccines made by China and by Britain’s Oxford University, based on different vaccine technologies, began smaller final-stage tests in Brazil and other hard-hit countries earlier this month.
Poll results came from an online survey of 1,519 Canadian adults between July 23 and 24, 2020.
– With files from The Associated Press
Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.
SHA warns of COVID-19 exposure at 3 Saskatoon businesses – CKOM News Talk Sports
The Saskatchewan Health Authority is warning people in Saskatoon about a potential COVID-19 exposure at three businesses.
A person or group of people were likely infectious with the coronavirus while being at Walmart Supercentre on 225 Betts Avenue on Sept. 19 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., Planet Fitness at Market Mall on Sept. 22 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. and KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive on Sept. 23 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Health officials are asking anyone who was at these locations during the noted dates and times to monitor for symptoms for 14 days and call HealthLine 811 to arrange for testing if symptoms develop.
Protest being held to ‘end the lockdown’ in downtown Toronto – 680 News
Over a hundred people gathered at Yonge-Dundas Square Saturday afternoon, many without masks and with little social distancing, calling for an end to the lockdown.
A group on Facebook called “The Line” appeared to be the organizers of the event, which they called the “March for Freedom.”
The protesters are currently walking up Yonge Street towards Bloor Street.
Police are assisting in directing traffic elsewhere to allow for them to pass safely.
– demonstrators assembling at Yonge/Dundas Square
– officers are aware of a demonstration, and are currently o/s
– everyone has the lawful right to peacefully protest and officers will be in the area for the safety of everyone#GO1827719
— Toronto Police Operations (@TPSOperations) September 26, 2020
Ontario is currently in Stage 3 of their COVID-19 reopening plan, with most businesses allowed to be open.
However, the province has recently introduced new restrictions for bars and restaurants and social gatherings have also been limited to 25 people outdoors and 10 people indoors.
Manitoba reports 2nd-highest single-day jump in COVID-19 cases, with 65 Saturday – CBC.ca
There are 65 new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba on Saturday, the province said in a news release, including 56 in the Winnipeg health region.
The update is the second-highest single-day increase in cases in the province.
On Aug. 25, 72 new cases of the illness were announced in Manitoba. Twenty-four cases were later retroactively added to that total, bringing that day’s official case count to 96.
The Prairie Mountain, Interlake-Eastern and Southern health regions each have three new cases on Saturday.
There are now 545 active cases in the province, including 456 in the Winnipeg region, according to provincial data.
Twelve people are now hospitalized with the illness in Manitoba, including six in intensive care.
Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate — a rolling average of the COVID-19 tests that come back positive — is down slightly to 2.3 per cent.
To date, there have been 1,829 COVID-19 cases detected in Manitoba; 1,265 people have recovered and 19 have died.
People in and around Winnipeg will have to wear face masks in indoor public places and keep gatherings to a maximum of 10 people starting Monday, officials announced on Friday.
The new rules come as the capital city and 17 nearby communities are moved to the orange, or “restricted,” level under the province’s colour-coded pandemic response system.
The restrictions will stay in place for at least four weeks, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said Friday.
That timeframe includes Thanksgiving, which is on Oct. 12 this year.
Other measures may still be brought in for bars and restaurants in the region, Roussin said, following consultation with people in that industry about how they can reduce the risk of people in those spaces spreading COVID-19.
Organizers of Nuit Blanche Winnipeg pulled the plug on art activities and installations scheduled for Saturday evening.
Instead, those events will be rescheduled throughout the month, between Sept. 25 and Oct. 25.
School, restaurant exposures
On Saturday, the province also announced an outbreak has been declared at the Heritage Lodge Long Term Care Home in Winnipeg, though a government spokesperson said that declaration actually happened on Thursday. The site has been moved to the red, or “critical,” level under the pandemic response system.
Possible exposures were also announced Saturday at three more schools and two more restaurants.
Someone with COVID-19 was at John W. Gunn Middle School in Winnipeg from Sept. 16 to Sept. 18, the release says, though public health investigations suggest that risk is low and the person did not get sick at school.
A spokesperson said the River East Transcona School Division learned about the exposure Friday evening.
Classes at the school will continue on Monday, but any areas the person may have used were closed and will be sanitized, said Amanda Gaudes, the senior communications co-ordinator for the division.
A case of the illness has also been linked to R.J. Waugh Elementary School in Carberry on Sept. 21. That case involves someone who was on a school bus, the release says.
A person with COVID-19 in the southwestern Manitoba town was also at Carberry Collegiate on Sept. 21. One grade at that school is being sent home to learn remotely for up to 14 days starting Monday, the release says.
A case of the illness has also been linked to Del Rios restaurant on Main Street in Winkler. The sick person was at the restaurant on Sept. 16 from 6 to 7 p.m.
A case has also been connected to P.F. Chang’s restaurant on St. James Street in Winnipeg. A person with COVID-19 was at the restaurant on Sept. 12, 16 and 17 from 5 to 10 p.m.
Meanwhile, the province is still looking into ways to alleviate pressure and cut wait times at COVID-19 test sites, as increasing case numbers in the Winnipeg area have caused the demand for tests to spike.
Another 2,234 COVID-19 tests were done in the province on Friday, bringing Manitoba’s total to 175,867.
Fourth patient dies as Foothills hospital outbreaks continue to grow – Calgary Herald
Meet the Socialists Keeping Alive Working-Class Politics in Melbourne – Jacobin magazine
SHA warns of COVID-19 exposure at 3 Saskatoon businesses – CKOM News Talk Sports
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Health18 hours ago
Toronto’s top doctor issues ‘warning to the entire city’ as new cases surpass 200 in single day
- Tech19 hours ago
Ring’s Flying In-Home Camera Drone Escalates Privacy Worries
- Science20 hours ago
Covid-19 Newmarket, York Region, and Ontario update
- Sports20 hours ago
Steven Stamkos ruled out for Game 4 of Stanley Cup final – CBC.ca
- News23 hours ago
Ontario tightens rules on bars and restaurants, closes strip clubs – CBC.ca
- Science22 hours ago
Dozens of McGill students living in student neighbourhood test positive for COVID-19 – Yahoo News Canada
- Investment15 hours ago
Why Canada Continues to Attract Real Estate Investors
- News8 hours ago
B.C. university launches 1st peace and reconciliation centre in Canada – CBC.ca