Connect with us

Health

32 new cases of COVID-19 announced in Manitoba on Friday – CBC.ca

Published

 on


There are 32 more cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba on Friday, health officials say in a news release, with 18 of them in southwestern Manitoba’s Prairie Mountain Health region.

There are seven in the Winnipeg health region, six in the Southern Health region and one in the Interlake-Eastern health region, the release says.

Initial investigations suggest 14 of the new cases are close contacts of previously announced cases in the province, the release says. Investigations continue, and information about the new cases will be updated once it’s available.

There are now five people in hospital with the illness, one of whom is in intensive care, the release says.

One patient lives in the Interlake-Eastern Health region, one lives in the Prairie Mountain Health region and three live in the Southern Health region, including the person in intensive care, the province’s COVID-19 data portal says.

Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate, a rolling average of COVID-19 tests that come back positive, is now 2.3 per cent, a drop from three per cent on Thursday.

The new cases bring Manitoba’s active caseload to 418, the highest since the beginning of the pandemic, according to data on that portal.

More than half of those cases — 223 — are in the Prairie Mountain Health region, data on that portal says.

People in that region had to start following new rules as of Monday — masks are now mandatory in public and gatherings must be limited to 10 — after being moved to the restricted level under the province’s pandemic response system.

To date, 1,096 cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Manitoba, and 664 people have recovered from the illness, the news release says.

New public health orders also came into effect Friday, allowing the province to immediately fine people $486 a day for not self-isolating properly. That came in response to some people not following self-isolation rules, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said Thursday.

Roussin also announced Thursday that a woman in her 90s who had COVID-19 had died.

It was the province’s 14th fatality linked to the illness caused by the new coronavirus, and the second stemming from an outbreak at the Bethesda Place care home in Steinbach, Man.

As of Thursday, eight people connected to that site had tested positive for COVID-19. That number includes five workers, at least one of whom is a nurse. The other three were residents: the woman whose death was announced Thursday, another whose death was announced Tuesday and one other person.

Also on Thursday, an outbreak of the illness was declared at a second care home, in Brandon, Man. As of Thursday, a worker at Rideau Park Personal Care Home was the only person there to test positive for COVID-19.

No new cases at either care home were announced on Friday.

There were 1,252 more COVID-19 tests done in Manitoba on Thursday, bringing the total completed in the province since early February to 132,085.

Because of upgrades being made to the province’s data system this weekend, the number of people in hospital and intensive care with COVID-19 in Manitoba won’t be updated again until Sunday, the release says.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 outbreak declared at Lester B. Pearson high school – Newstalk 1010 (iHeartRadio)

Published

 on


A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at a ninth school in Ottawa.

Officials have declared an outbreak at Lester B. Pearson Catholic High School in Gloucester, with two cases at the school.

There is conflicting information about the nature of the cases. Ottawa Public Health says one student and one staff member tested positive. The Ottawa Catholic School Board is reporting two student cases and zero staff cases.

The board says four classes have been closed as a result of the outbreak.

Ottawa Public Health defines an outbreak in a school as two COVID-19 cases with a proven link between them.

The school is the ninth in Ottawa to have an outbreak since classes resumed. Only one—Monsignor Paul Baxter school in Barrhaven—has been forced to close entirely for at least two weeks.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Hospitals call for new COVID-19 restrictions – Cambridge Times

Published

 on


TORONTO — Ontario’s premier says the province is experiencing a second wave of COVID-19 and all options are on the table to combat a surge in cases.

Doug Ford says the 700 new cases reported in Ontario today — the highest recorded daily increase since the start of the pandemic — are very concerning.

He says the second wave has the potential to be worse than the first experienced in the spring.


Ford is urging people to follow public health rules to limit the wave’s severity.

Ontario’s chief medical officer of health says the province must work to flatten the curve of the virus again to allow hospitals to respond without being overwhelmed.

Dr. David Williams says people became too casual as virus numbers had improved in late August and must now be more vigilant.

Ford has also announced an additional $52 million to hire 3,700 more nurses and personal support workers to help address the virus.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 28, 2020.

By Shawn Jeffords, The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Another person dies of COVID-19 in Manitoba – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Another person has died after contracting COVID-19, bringing the number of deaths linked to the virus up to 20 in Manitoba.

The person who died was a man in his 70s from the Prairie Mountain Health region, the province says.

Another 39 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Manitoba on Monday.

There are 22 new known cases in the Winnipeg health region, seven cases each in the Interlake-Eastern and Northern health regions and three in the Southern Health region.

The cases found in northern Manitoba are from a First Nation and they are all close contacts, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said.

There are 618 known active cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba, with 13 people in hospital, including seven in intensive care.

The province is advising the public of more places where people may have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

A second confirmed case of COVID-19 was found at St. Maurice School in Winnipeg.

The person may have been at the school while infectious on Sept. 17 and 18.

So far, contact tracing investigators do not believe the new case is linked to the first case reported at the school.

Further exposures may have happened at: 

  • Denny’s, at 4100 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg, on Sept. 18 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sept. 20 from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • XXI Lounge, at 1011 Pembina Highway in Winnipeg, on Sept. 18 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Sept. 19 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

The five-day test positivity rate in Manitoba is still at 2.2 per cent.

There were 2,647 COVID-19 tests performed on Friday, 2,196 on Saturday and 1,596 on Sunday.

The total number of COVID-19 tests done in Manitoba since February is 180,750.

Monday marks the first day code orange restrictions are in effect in Winnipeg and 17 surrounding communities.

Masks must be worn in all indoor public places, and all gatherings — taking place inside or outside — have a 10-person limit.

“We know that all of these actions not only protect ourselves, they protect the people around us, people we love and our community,” he said.

“We encourage Manitobans to step up once again to reduce the transmission of this virus.” 

Roussin told reporters on Monday that the 10-person cap on private gatherings is in addition to the people who live at a residence.

If six people live in a home, an additional 10 people can visit at one time, Roussin said, although he stressed a couple of times that people should try to limit their number of close contacts.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending