Connect with us

Health

64.4 per cent compliance rate found during inspection blitz at distribution centres in Peel Region – CTV Toronto

Published

 on


TORONTO —
A COVID-19 inspection blitz specifically targeting distribution centres in Peel Region found a 64.4 per cent compliance rate among nearly 60 warehouses, the Ontario government said.

The 59 places of business were visited between Feb. 10 and Feb. 15.

Amid the inspections, officials issued 10 tickets and one order, the Ministry of Labour confirmed Wednesday.

The ministry added that the most common violations found were inadequate screening for COVID-19 or none at all, no masking and physical distancing, and a lack of safety plans put in place.

Overall, a compliance rate of 64.4 per cent was found as a result of the six-day blitz.

While announcing the targeted blitz one week ago, Minister of Labour Monte McNaughton said inspectors would be looking at break rooms and back officers at the distribution centres.

“Just to be clear, we’ve been visiting these businesses all along,” McNaughton said at the time. “We’ve carried out more than 430 visits in this sector already.”

“We know these workers have been especially hard hit. Businesses in this sector also employ a high percentage of temporary workers. We want to make sure the virus isn’t traveling with them back home to their loved ones.”

On Feb. 10, McNaughton said 218 tickets had already been issued to Ontario businesses found to be violating COVID-19 protocols since the beginning of the year.

Individuals found to be violating the Occupational Health and Safety Act can be fined up to $100,000 and imprisoned for as long as one year, while corporations can be fined up to $1.5 million per charge.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

From lockdowns to spring break, provinces split on next steps in COVID-19 fight – rdnewsnow.com

Published

 on


By Canadian Press

Feb 28, 2021 4:20 PM

Canada’s pandemic hotspots are taking diverging approaches to handling the COVID-19 crisis, as Ontario prepares to trigger new lockdown measures in two public health units and Quebec enters a week of spring break.

Ontario passed the 300,000 case mark today, as the province prepares to hit a so-called ’emergency brake’ in the Thunder Bay and Simcoe-Muskoka District health units on Monday in order interrupt transmission of COVID-19 at a time when new variants are gaining steam.

The province has also pushed back its spring break until April in an effort to limit community spread.

Prince Edward Island also implemented tighter health measures, barring indoor dining and halving retail and gym capacity as part of “circuit breaker” measures meant to stop a new outbreak in its tracks.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

From lockdowns to spring break, provinces split on next steps in COVID-19 fight – Chilliwack Progress – Chilliwack Progress

Published

 on


Canada’s pandemic hotspots are taking diverging approaches to handling the COVID-19 crisis, as Ontario prepares to trigger new lockdown measures in two public health units and Quebec enters a week of spring break.

Ontario passed the 300,000 case mark today, as the province prepares to hit a so-called ‘emergency brake’ in the Thunder Bay and Simcoe-Muskoka District health units on Monday in order interrupt transmission of COVID-19 at a time when new variants are gaining steam.

The province has also pushed back its spring break until April in an effort to limit community spread.

Prince Edward Island also implemented tighter health measures, barring indoor dining and halving retail and gym capacity as part of “circuit breaker” measures meant to stop a new outbreak in its tracks.

Quebec, meanwhile, has allowed movie theatres, pools and arenas to open with restrictions in place to give families something to do as the traditional winter break kicks off, even as most other health rules remain in place.

Premier Francois Legault has said he’s worried about the week off and the threat posed by new more contagious variants, but says he’s optimistic about the province’s mass vaccination campaign which will begin inoculating older members of the general public on Monday.

Ontario reported 1,062 new infections linked to the pandemic today to push it over the 300,000 mark, while Quebec’s health minister said the situation in the province is stable with 737 new cases and nine additional deaths.

ALSO READ: Vaccine tourism is both unethical and bad for business, experts say

The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

A look at coronavirus measures across Canada as spring break approaches – Global News

Published

 on


Canada’s pandemic hotspots are taking diverging approaches to handling the COVID-19 crisis, as Ontario prepares to trigger new lockdown measures in two public health units and Quebec enters a week of spring break.

Ontario passed the 300,000 case mark today, as the province prepares to hit a so-called ’emergency brake’ in the Thunder Bay and Simcoe-Muskoka District health units on Monday in order interrupt transmission of COVID-19 at a time when new variants are gaining steam.

Read more:
mRNA vaccine technology could be used to protect against other deadly diseases: experts

The province has also pushed back its spring break until April in an effort to limit community spread.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Prince Edward Island also implemented tighter health measures, barring indoor dining and halving retail and gym capacity as part of “circuit breaker” measures meant to stop a new outbreak in its tracks.

Story continues below advertisement

Quebec, meanwhile, has allowed movie theatres, pools and arenas to open with restrictions in place to give families something to do as the traditional winter break kicks off, even as most other health rules remain in place.






1:45
Advice for what B.C. parents should do for March Break 2021?


Advice for what B.C. parents should do for March Break 2021?

Premier Francois Legault has said he’s worried about the week off and the threat posed by new more contagious variants, but says he’s optimistic about the province’s mass vaccination campaign which will begin inoculating older members of the general public on Monday.

Ontario reported 1,062 new infections linked to the pandemic today to push it over the 300,000 mark, while Quebec’s health minister said the situation in the province is stable with 737 new cases and nine additional deaths.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending