Connect with us

Business

'A grave disappointment': Premier, First Nations Chief shocked over Teck's withdrawal of Frontier project – Calgary Herald

Published

on



Alberta Premier Jason Kenney speaks to media in Calgary on Tuesday, February 11, 2020. Jim Wells/Postmedia


Less than a week before the federal government’s deadline to determine the future of a $20.6-billion oilsands project in northern Alberta, Teck Resources Ltd., the company behind the project, has withdrawn its application.

Earlier in the day, the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation (ACFN) reached an agreement with the province on several environmental areas of concern. That agreement meant that all 14 affected First Nations and Métis organizations in the area had granted their support for the project that would have been about 110 kilometres north of Fort McMurray and would have covered roughly 10,000 hectares of the boreal forest.

But just hours after sharing the news of the agreement, ACFN Chief Allan Adam was shocked to hear of Teck’s decision.

“It’s a shame, because we worked so hard with the province and did everything we can to make sure the project was going to get the green light,” he said Sunday night. “To me, it’s shocking news . . . What went wrong?”

Sunday evening, Teck CEO Don Lindsay released a statement sent to federal Environment and Climate Change Minister Johnathan Wilkinson, stating the Vancouver-based company’s desire to “withdraw our regulatory application for the Frontier oilsands project from the federal environmental assessment process.”

“It is now evident that there is no constructive path forward for the project,” he wrote.


Teck Resources CEO Don Lindsay

Carla Gottgens /

Bloomberg

“The promise of Canada’s potential will not be realized until governments can reach agreement around how climate policy considerations will be addressed in the context of future responsible energy sector development.

“Without clarity on this critical question, the situation that has faced Frontier will be faced by future projects and it will be very difficult to attract future investment, either domestic or foreign.”

ACFN had previously reached deals with Teck Resources Ltd. for the Frontier mine in 2018, but at the time were still negotiating with the province over environmental and cultural concerns.

The project would have created an estimated 7,000 construction jobs, 2,500 operating jobs and about $12 billion in federal income and capital taxes. But it was also expected to produce about four megatonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per year over 40 years.

As a result of the decision, Teck will write down the $1.13-billion carrying value of the Frontier Project.

Despite his disappointment, Adam said he’s pleased with how the process went overall.

“You have to give Teck a hand because they did everything right in regards to mitigating their project with ACFN,” he said. “We never had any oil company do what Teck has done and it’s too bad if they do pull their application but we can’t do anything about it.”

In a statement, Premier Jason Kenney called the decision “a grave disappointment to Albertans,” in particular to the two First Nations who in the past 48 hours had reached agreements with the province in regards to the project.

“The Mikisew Cree First Nation and the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation both signed historic agreements with the Government of Alberta, which would have made them partners in the prosperity of the Frontier project, bringing hundreds of jobs and tens of millions of dollars to their remote communities,” Kenney said.

“The factors that led to today’s decision further weaken national unity. The Government of Alberta agreed to every request and condition raised by the federal government for approving the Frontier project, including protecting bison and caribou habitat, regulation of oilsands emissions and securing full Indigenous support,” he continued. “The Government of Alberta repeatedly asked what more we could do to smooth the approval process. We did our part, but the federal government’s inability to convey a clear or unified position let us, and Teck, down.”

Municipal and industry leaders in Alberta were stunned by the news.

“It’s going to be real blow to the region,” said Fort McMurray Mayor Don Scott. “It was going to be a catalyst for the future.”

Scott hopes the prime minister and premier reach out to Teck to see if there’s any way the venture can be revived. But if the project doesn’t proceed, it’s not sending a positive message to investors, he noted.

“If not this project, then what project could possibly be approved? This one, they had worked so hard to get approvals and Indigenous agreements, consultations across the board. This is the one that made perfect sense. And it still does,” he said.

“Teck had worked hard. We were just days, literally, away from a decision. I think we collectively feel a punch in the gut.”

Ron Quintal, president of the Fort McKay Métis, one of the 14 Indigenous communities who signed on to the Frontier project, said Teck’s decision “is understandable, if devastating.”

“This decision is damaging to the Alberta and Canadian economies and to the economies of Aboriginal Peoples around the project area who would have seen enormous long-term, sustainable benefit,” he said Sunday night. “I fully understand Teck’s reasoning, but it is deeply regrettable. This is a black eye for Canada.”

In a statement, NDP Opposition Leader Rachel Notley said the “heated rhetoric and constant conflict generated by Jason Kenney is the primary reason for withdrawal of Teck’s application.” 

“We worked to unify our economic and environmental efforts, not pit them against each other,” she said. “(Kenney) intentionally reduced the Teck project to a political football.” 

Energy Minister Sonya Savage said in a tweet the news was “devastating” for the province. 

“Teck’s withdrawal falls squarely at the feet of the Trudeau government. They’ve undermined national unity, investor confidence and our economic interests all at the same time. This is not only regulatory dysfunction, it is national disgrace.” 

Kevin Birn, oilsands analyst with energy consultancy IHS Markit in Calgary, said the project was unique given its size and scale, coming as spending in the islands has fallen in recent years.

“It is unfortunate, but not particularly surprising, given recent tensions in Canada, to see Teck cite uncertainty of Canadian energy and climate policy as a key source of uncertainty effecting their decision to withdraw this project,” he said. “The unfortunate bit from the Teck statement is they also seemed intent on only advancing a project that could meet the appropriate environmental and economic bars.”

Tristan Goodman, president the Explorers and Producers Association of Canada, believes the ongoing blockades tied to the Coastal GasLink project and protests against energy projects likely had a role in the Frontier project application being withdrawn, and he’s concerned about the broader signal it sends to investors and all Canadians.

“It’s dramatically disappointing and really unfortunate for the entire country,” he said.

“Unfortunately, we have this small, militant vocal minority that is really shutting down the future economic prosperity for everybody in this country, including the Indigenous community. This is really getting quite out of hand and at some point, we are going to lose a generation of economic prosperity from east to west to the north here if we can’t get our house in order.”

‘Precedent’ for negotiations

A few hours earlier, Adam said he was looking forward to the future working relationship with the province, federal government and Teck on the project.

“We’re quite pleased with everything that happened because it’s a win-win for both parties,” Adam said. “ACFN is satisfied because we got our engagement tables and we’re moving forward.”


Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation Chief Allan Adam is pictured outside Government House in Edmonton on Feb. 12, 2020. Jeff Labine/Postmedia

Edmonton

Adam said that they were able to negotiate on some key areas of concerns and developed a list of environmental priorities including the Ronald Lake bison herd, the Richardson Backcountry caribou herds, migratory birds, waterfowl and navigational rights to the waterways.

Jason Nixon, provincial minister of environment and parks, said before the news broke that even if the project was rejected by the federal government, the province will honour any and all environmental partnerships made in negotiations with the ACFN.

Adam said the negotiations between his Nation and the provincial government have been beneficial for all involved and can serve as an example for others.

“This is a model that should set precedent right across the country in regards to how First Nations and government should sit down with engagement tables and mitigation in regards to major developments,” he said.

Earlier this month, Alberta’s Indigenous Relations Minister Rick Wilson expressed concern that a public spat over the negotiations with Adam, who also called for a share of tax revenue from resource projects, could give the federal government a reason to reject the project.

A federal-provincial review last summer determined that the mine would be in the public interest, even though it would be likely to harm the environment and the land, resources and culture of Indigenous people.

Last week, author Alice Munro and dozens of other Nobel Prize winners urged Trudeau to reject the project, calling fossil-fuel expansion an affront to the climate emergency and incompatible with Canada’s pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The federal government had until the end of the month to make a decision on the project and Nixon said that if it’s rejected, it would send negative messages to Alberta.

“It would add to concerns that we’ve been raising for weeks, which is that clearly the federal government has no intention of letting us develop our resources and does not see a future for the oil and gas industry in this country and that’s not acceptable to Alberta,” said Nixon. “If you can’t approve a project that has been through this much environmental regulation and has this much support, then you can’t approve any project, which is not acceptable to us.

The second message, according to Nixon, would be dismissing the First Nations communities that are depending on this project for “wealth, jobs and prosperity.”

“So if the federal Liberals are truly serious about wanting to work with First Nation communities on reconciliation and moving forward in positive ways, they should not reject this project because it would be a direct rejection of both those for all 14 of those First Nation communities.”

— With files from Chris Varcoe

ocondon@postmedia.com
Twitter: @oliviacondon

sbabych@postmedia.com
Twitter: @BabychStephanie

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Amazon removes racist messages after they appear on some product listings on its U.K. website – The Globe and Mail

Published

on


Amazon.com Inc said it was removing certain images after messages using extremely strong racist abuse appeared on some listings on its U.K. website when users searched for Apple’s AirPods and other similar products.

The message sparked outrage on Twitter, with the topic “AirPods” trending in the United Kingdom.

“We are removing the images in question and have taken action on the bad actor,” an Amazon spokeswoman told Reuters on Sunday. She did not elaborate more on the “bad actor.”

Story continues below advertisement

Screenshots and video grabs of the messages were trending on Twitter, with users sharing the images.

The listings with the abusive messages were no longer visible on the Amazon U.K. website and it was not clear how long they were there for.

In April, several of Amazon’s foreign websites, including the U.K. domain, were added to the U.S. trade regulator’s “notorious markets” report on marketplaces known for counterfeiting and piracy concerns.

Amazon strongly disagreed with the report at that time, describing it as a “purely political act.”

Be smart with your money. Get the latest investing insights delivered right to your inbox three times a week, with the Globe Investor newsletter. Sign up today.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Alberta records 18 new COVID-19 cases and no new deaths – CBC.ca

Published

on


Alberta recorded 18 new COVID-19 cases and no additional deaths from the illness on Sunday.

The number of active cases in the province continued to drop, sitting at 584 as of Sunday. Hospitalization rates also remained low with 52 people in hospital and six in intensive care.

In total, 6,283 people have recovered from the illness in Alberta. The total number of deaths was 143. 

Most active COVID-19 cases continue to be found in the Calgary zone. Here’s a regional breakdown of cases:

  • Calgary zone: 440 active cases and 4,330 recovered;
  • South zone: 42 active cases and 1,184 recovered;
  • Edmonton zone: 69 active cases and 464 recovered;
  • North zone: 28 active cases and 202 recovered;
  • Central zone: two active cases and 95 recovered;
  • Three active cases and eight recovered cases in zones to be confirmed.

To date, 658 cases have an unknown exposure.

So far, 235,415 Albertans have been tested and labs have performed 260,365 tests, with 3,138 tests completed in the last 24 hours. Testing has been made available to any person without symptoms who wants to be tested.

Starting in early June, Albertans will also be able to get four free non-medical masks per person at all A&W, McDonald’s and Tim Hortons drive-thru locations in the province, while supplies last. They can ask for masks without having to purchase anything. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

As May comes to a close, Alberta has 584 active cases of COVID-19 and 143 people have died – CTV News

Published

on


EDMONTON —
Alberta reported 18 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of active cases to 584.

No additional deaths were reported.

There are currently 52 people in hospital; six of them are in intensive care.

The case breakdown across the province is as follows:

  • Calgary zone: 440 active cases and 4,330 recovered
  • South zone: 42 active cases and 1,184 recovered
  • Edmonton zone: 69 active cases and 464 recovered
  • North zone: 28 active cases and 202 recovered
  • Central zone: two active cases and 95 recovered
  • Three active cases and eight recovered cases in zones to be confirmed

There are currently 61 active cases in continuing care facilities in the province, and 659 people have recovered. A total of 109 residents have died.

In total, there have been 143 deaths in Alberta.

In the last 24 hours, there have been 3,138 tests completed.

As of May 31, 6,283 Albertans have recovered from COVID-19. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending