Connect with us

Sports

About Last Night: Carey Price deserved better – Montreal Gazette

Published

 on


The Canadiens goalie made 29 saves in a losing effort against the Canucks on Monday night

Article content

It’s been well over a year since Carey Price recorded a shutout in a regular season game. If you’re counting playoffs, Price hasn’t had a shutout since last August against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Yes, victories matter more to the Montreal Canadiens and Price. Shutouts are pretty much style points that don’t count in the standings. When teams clinch playoff berths, the NHL doesn’t give them half points for the number of shutouts they obtain in a season.

But considering Price’s up-and-down 2021 campaign where he’s struggled to get through mental roadblocks, a shutout might have been nice for his confidence. If nothing else, perhaps his spirit. He had done his part throughout much of the contest.

“He made some good saves for us to keep it 1-0 and give us a chance to extend the lead,” Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry said.

In fact, Price was 40.5 seconds away from blanking an opponent and giving his team a 1-0 win over the Vancouver Canucks. Who cares if the Canadiens didn’t get a second or a third goal? The Canadiens would walk away with another win over the Canucks and Price would win his third consecutive start. Price has allowed one goal in each of his last two starts. Montreal could wipe the sweat from their brow and move on to Tuesday. 

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Vancouver’s Adam Gaudette then fired a puck past Price to tie the game, putting an end to that reality.

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Okay fine, so the Canadiens would have to find a way to win in overtime. Price had already made 27 saves after 60 minutes.

Fortunately, he didn’t have to work that hard in the extra period. He only had to make two saves.

Here’s one of them.

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

“It’s just desperation, just trying to get a piece of it,” Price said of his save on Brock Boeser in overtime.

See? Two saves. Not THAT difficult. Minus the theatrics of the save above, of course.

One problem, the Canadiens were unable to add another goal to their tally. To make matters worse, playing more hockey beyond regulation has proven to be a problem for Montreal. The Canadiens have yet to win a game in overtime or through the shootout all season long. An extra period, or a shootout, has served as a form of kryptonite to the Canadiens.

What could this team do differently to change their fortunes?

“Score first, probably,” Price said, in jest following the game. “We’re trying out there. It’s not like we’re going out there to lose. The other team is trying to win too and we’re just trying to find a way to do it.”

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Price could only hold the fort for so long without his team scoring. Bo Horvat scored the game’s lone shootout goal and after Tomas Tatar’s between-the-legs shot attempt was stopped by Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko, the Canadiens left the ice with just one point to show for it.

If you’re a Canadiens fan, however, you have to love how Price played Monday night’s game with his 29-save performance. You might also feel some comfort in him saying that he ‘feels better’ with his team playing ‘solid hockey’ in front of him, and he’s trying his best to take guidance from interim goalie coach Marco Marciano and whatever he can get from the team’s Director of Goaltending Sean Burke.

“They’re sending positive messages my way and I’m just trying to apply everything and be a sponge,” Price said.

Price gave his team every chance to win against a team they’ve had their way with all season. The Canadiens didn’t win and it might be fair to say that they could have done better for their netminder Monday night.

But the fact that he’s looked better on the ice and he’s vocalized that same sentiment has to be a positive step in the right direction for Price and the Canadiens, especially with so much riding on this season being a success.


  1. Canadiens fail to slam the door and let one slip away in Vancouver

  2. Canadiens forward Paul Byron crashes into Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko during the first period at Rogers Arena.

    In the Habs’ Room: ‘We have to be more opportunistic’

The best of last night’s liveblog

Good call playing Price. — Mick Chow

That one hurts. Chiarot blew it on the tying goal and they were not even close in OT and shootout. Feel bad for Price, he deserved better — James Toth

We need to come out and play 20 minutes of fast, solid hockey. First two periods don’t matter anymore. I’m sure that’s what DD is telling them right now. Everybody has to do their job ! 20 Minutes ……. GO HABS GO! — Carin Latzel

Feel bad for price played so well only a perfect shot beats him — Billy Chilli shoulda kept a couple goals from the other night — dom gotye

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

UEFA threaten to ban breakaway clubs from all competitions

Published

 on

By Simon Evans

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – European soccer‘s governing body UEFA has warned clubs linked to a breakaway Super League that they face being banned from domestic and international competitions if they set up a rival to the Champions League.

In a joint statement https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-12121411400e-7897186e699a-1000–statement-by-uefa-english-fa-rfef-figc-premier-league-laliga-le with Spanish, English and Italian leagues and federations, UEFA said it will consider “all measures”, including the courts and bans from domestic leagues, in opposition to plans for a breakaway competition.

UEFA said it had learnt that clubs from those countries “may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League”.

“If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we….(and) also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever,” UEFA said.

“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way,” the statement added.

In January, FIFA had said that a breakaway league would not be recognised and that “any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation” – meaning players would be banned from the World Cup.

Sunday’s UEFA statement said: “The clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

“We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.”

 

(Reporting by Simon Evans, editing by Ed Osmond and Christian Radnedge)

Continue Reading

Sports

Netherlands and Poland seal narrow Billie Jean King Cup playoff wins

Published

 on

(Reuters) – The Netherlands and Poland both needed deciding doubles wins to battle through their Billie Jean King Cup playoffs on Saturday but Britain, Italy and Canada all enjoyed easier passages.

In Den Bosch, the Dutch were without world number 11 Kiki Bertens for the second day because of injury and found themselves trailing China 2-1 after Wang Xiyu beat Lesley Kerkhove in Saturday’s opening singles.

But Aranxta Rus beat Wang Xinyu to level the tie and then teamed up with Demi Schuurs to defeat Zhang Shuai and Zu Yifan to send the hosts through.

It was equally tight in Poland where the hosts were pushed to the brink by Brazil.

Brazil’s Carolina Meligeni Alves took the tie into a deciding doubles with a win over Katarzyna Kawa but the Poles prevailed 3-2 as Kawa and Magdalena Frech came back from a set down to beat Meligeni Alves and Luisa Stefani.

Kazakhstan also won a deciding rubber to see off Argentina.

Britain led 2-0 overnight against Mexico in London but Marcela Zacarias beat Heather Watson to keep alive the tie.

Katie Boulter proved too strong for Giuliana Olmos though to clinch the tie for the hosts.

Italy beat Romania 3-1 while Canada‘s teenager Leylah Annie Fernandez sealed her country’s path as she gave her side an unassailable 3-0 lead over Serbia thanks to a three-set win over Nina Stojanovic.

Ukraine eased past Japan 4-0 while Anastasija Sevastova secured Latvia’s 3-1 victory over India.

The eight winners move forward to next year’s qualifying round where they will hope to reach the 2022 Billie Jean King Cup Finals.

The old Fed Cup was re-branded last year and named after the American great and 12-times Grand Slam singles champion who won the inaugural tournament nearly 60 years ago.

This year’s 12-team Finals were postponed because of the pandemic and a new date has yet to be finalised.

 

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; editing by Clare Fallon)

Continue Reading

Sports

Motor racing-Canadian Grand Prix cancelled for second year

Published

 on

(Reuters) -The Canadian Grand Prix scheduled for June 13 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal has been cancelled for the second year in a row, CBC Radio reported on Thursday although Formula One said discussions remained ongoing.

With the spread of new COVID-19 variants and Canada battling to contain a third wave of the virus, Montreal public health authorities concluded that even if run behind closed doors without spectators the risks were too high, reported the CBC.

F1 officials, according to the CBC, wanted to bypass the mandatory 14-day quarantine for the hundreds of staff, crew members and drivers and rely on private medical staff and have the entire operation run in a bubble.

The race is scheduled to follow on immediately from Azerbaijan, whose grand prix is scheduled for June 6 in Baku and is due to go ahead after also being cancelled last year.

“We are continuing our discussions with the promoter in Canada and have no further comment,” an F1 spokesperson told Reuters.

The Autosport website quoted a spokesperson for the Canadian promoter as saying the radio report referred to “a document of recommendations from public health.

“We as an organisation have not had confirmation from our public health officials and won’t comment until we get an official confirmation.”

Canada, with some of the world’s toughest travel rules, obliges its citizens and residents arriving from abroad to self-isolate for 14 days.

International arrivals are required to quarantine for up to three days in a hotel.

One of Canada‘s biggest sporting events, it would mark the second consecutive year the grand prix has been removed from the F1 schedule due to the spread of COVID-19.

Media reports have suggested Turkey is on standby to be slotted in as Canada‘s replacement.

The Istanbul circuit is logistically convenient for freight coming from Baku and was brought in last year also at short notice to bolster a calendar ravaged by the pandemic.

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto/Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Continue Reading

Trending