A St. John’s man says he’s happy with the actions taken by a mining company with operations in Newfoundland and Labrador after he reported an employee’s racist and homophobic posts.
Earlier this month, Devon Bryan noticed anti-Black Lives Matter posts on Facebook that a former classmate had responded to by commenting, “White Lives Matter.”
The posts read “BLM is now known as Burn, Loot & Murder (pass it on)” and “F**k BLM bullshit.” Bryan decided to call out his former classmate’s comments, he told CBC News, and received an aggressive response.
“It turned into body shaming and it turned into homophobic slurs, racial slurs. And he really ticked off all of the boxes for discrimination,” said Bryan.
The classmate did not respond to CBC’s requests for comment. CBC News is not identifying him.
Bryan, a member of the LGBT community, noticed his former classmate listed his employer as Anaconda Mining, which operates in Baie Verte, N.L., so he tagged the company in a response to his classmate’s posts, and followed up with a phone call.
“You can’t expect to represent your professional life and hold these extreme opinions and express them freely without repercussion, because once you represent your place of work on social media, it’s no longer a completely private page anymore,” said Bryan.
Satisfied with company’s response
Bryan said the company was prompt and courteous in its response. And while, due to privacy regulations, the company would not tell him what happened, Bryan said he learned later his former classmate was no longer with the company.
Anaconda Mining declined to confirm to CBC News the employee had been let go, saying the company would not comment on matters “regarding private employment relationships.
In a statement, Lynn Hammond, the company’s vice-president of corporate affairs, said the company has a comprehensive respectful workplace policy and harassment prevention plan and that their employees are required to participate in training specifically related to the policy.
Employees are also required to sign a document to acknowledge that they understand and will adhere to the policy and failure to comply with any part of this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In the aftermath of Bryan’s interactions with him, members of the former employee’s family posted on Facebook that the situation had caused financial and emotional stress.
Bryan said his former classmate should have thought of the consequences before making the comments he made.
“I do feel terribly that, you know, I’m causing a whole family stress,” said Bryan. “But at the bottom line, that’s completely on him.”
Xinjiang firms seek damages from foreign researcher over forced labour reports: media – TheChronicleHerald.ca
BEIJING (Reuters) – The official news outlet of the Communist Party of China’s Xinjiang region said unidentified companies from the area have filed a domestic civil lawsuit seeking unspecified compensation from a U.S.-based human rights researcher whose reports alleged forced labour is used in the region’s cotton industry.
The companies said researcher Adrian Zenz’s reports were untrue, damaged the reputation of the industry and led to economic losses after the United States banned cotton imports from Xinjiang, according to a report on by the Xinjiang Communist Party website on Monday evening.
Monday’s report on the lawsuit did not include details of which companies were behind the civil action nor how much they were seeking in compensation and Reuters was not immediately able to review a copy of any legal filing.
The report said the suit was filed in what it called a local Xinjiang court, but didn’t say when the filing was made. The Xinjiang government did not immediately respond to a request for more details on the case on Tuesday.
Experts said if it the suit would be the first known instance of a foreign researcher facing civil action in China over human rights research that has contributed to pressure for economic sanctions, and comes as Beijing has been stepping up its defence against foreign accusations of human rights abuses, which it denies.
The administration of former U.S. President Donald Trump in December banned imports of cotton from Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps (XPCC), which produces around 30% of China’s cotton. In January it announced an import ban on all cotton and tomato products from Xinjiang over allegations that they were made with forced labour, without citing the source of the allegations.
XPCC could not be reached for comment by Reuters on Tuesday.
“It (the suit) would seem to be a tactic to try to raise the costs for those doing research on these kinds of severe human rights abuses,” said Sarah Cook, New York-based Research Director for China at U.S. non-profit Freedom House.
“It could set a worrisome precedent … it could send a signal to foreign companies or others who might be considering being more outspoken or changing business practices due to what is happening in Xinjiang,” she said.
Zenz is a senior fellow in China studies at the U.S.-based Victims of Communism Foundation, a non-profit that researches human rights in communist countries, and a critic of China’s ethnic policy in Xinjiang and Tibet whose research has been widely cited in western media, including Reuters.
Zenz said the lawsuit shows that his research is having an impact, although he believes the case is symbolic. He said he had last been in China more than a decade ago and has no intention of returning to China in the immediate future.
“That’s probably the most direct statement that some of these companies are incurring economic losses as the result of my publication,” he told Reuters on Tuesday. He said he had no knowledge of the contents of the suit.
Zen in December published a report that estimated around half a million people from ethnic minority groups in Xinjiang are employed in cotton picking through coercive labour transfer programmes. The research was based on an analysis of Chinese government documents and state media.
Last July, state media reported that Beijing was considering suing Zenz for libelling China, though no public information has since been released on any potential case and Zenz has not heard of any suit.
On Monday, China’s parliament said it will speed up lawmaking aimed at countering foreign sanctions and “long-arm jurisdiction” amid increasing pressure from Western countries over issues ranging from Xinjiang to civil rights in Hong Kong.
(Reporting by Cate Cadell; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)
Indian non-profit challenges new content regulation rules for news media – TheChronicleHerald.ca
NEW DELHI (Reuters) – An Indian non-profit which runs an independent news website on Tuesday challenged in court the country’s new rules that seek to regulate content on digital news media.
The so-called Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code was announced by New Delhi last month and is legally enforceable.
It also regulates big social media firms such as Facebook and Twitter.
In its petition in the Delhi High Court, the Foundation for Independent Journalism, which publishes ‘The Wire’ news portal, argued the rules formulated under India’s Information Technology Act should not govern online news media.
The rules lay a three-tier regulatory structure for news media including an oversight mechanism by the federal government, sparking concerns that it will curb the freedom of press to report independently.
The case will next be heard on April 16.
(Reporting by Sankalp Phartiyal; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)
Myanmar: protesters allowed to leave apartments after being trapped by military – The Guardian
Winchcombe meteorite is first UK find in 30 years – BBC News
Defence committee expands inquiry to include allegations against Admiral Art McDonald – CBC.ca
B.C.’s top doctor hints at gradual easing of COVID-19 restrictions in coming weeks – Global News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
Economy12 hours ago
Canada Dollar dips as short-covering propels greenback broadly higher
Business10 hours ago
Ontario reports 1,631 new COVID-19 cases, but official says data issues put count likely closer to 1,300 – CBC.ca
Art15 hours ago
‘I paint for healing’: Indigenous art in the time of COVID-19 – TVO
Health20 hours ago
B.C. call centres open to book COVID-19 vaccine appointments for elderly, Indigenous – Delta-Optimist
Health9 hours ago
COVID-19 vaccine call centres flooded with 1.7 million calls on first day – Vancouver Is Awesome
Health12 hours ago
Proof of pre-existing illness not required for COVID-19 shot, health minister says – 680 News
News22 hours ago
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada – Richmond News
Health21 hours ago
B.C. announces vaccines sites ahead of booking COVID-19 shots appointments Monday – The Tri-City News