Officials with 7-Eleven Canada say anyone who went to a location in southwest Calgary during mid-April may have come into contact with an employee who contracted COVID-19.
The company says any customers who shopped at the 7-Eleven at 615 Shawcliffe Gate S.W. between April 11 and April 25 may be at risk.
Anyone who visited the store during these times is advised to complete the COVID-19 online assessment on the province’s website.
In the meantime, all staff at the location are self-isolating, with pay, for a period of 14 days.
The store has also been closed so it can be cleaned and sanitized.
“As a neighbourhood store and convenient delivery provider in so many communities, 7-Eleven Canada has taken steps to prioritize the health of our customers and employees across our 636 stores in Canada. We have enhanced our standards and procedures for hygiene, handwashing, sanitation, food handling and preparation in stores, and increased the frequency of cleaning high-touch surfaces,” the company writes in a release.
The store is scheduled to reopen on May 9.
Another death in the Calgary zone
Alberta Health says another patient with COVID-19 has died of complications from the illness Saturday.
The province released the daily numbers at 3:30 p.m., with 216 new cases recorded in the past 24 hours, bringing the province’s total number of cases to 4,233.
The vast majority of cases (2,964) are in the Calgary zone, where 46 patients have died from the illness.
Irving to buy North Atlantic Refining including refinery in Come By Chance, NL – BNNBloomberg.ca
SAINT JOHN, N.B. — Irving Oil has signed a deal to buy North Atlantic Refining Corp., including a refinery in Come By Chance, N.L., from U.S. investment firm Silverpeak.
Financial terms of the agreement, which includes a network of gas stations and other marketing assets, were not disclosed.
North Atlantic provides fuel products to businesses and consumers across Newfoundland.
The refinery has capacity of 130,000 barrels per day.
Production at the refinery was stopped on March 30 due to the pandemic.
The sale is subject to regulatory review and other conditions.
Number of Americans on jobless benefits inches down for 1st time since pandemic began – CBC.ca
The number of Americans continuing to receive government jobless benefits declined in the week ending May 16 for the first time since COVID-19 struck, even as millions of people continue to join the unemployment rolls.
The U.S. Department of Labour said 21.052 million people continued to receive benefits that week. That’s down from the record 24.912 million seen the previous week.
“The number of Americans who remain on UI is still uncomfortably high,” Bank of Montreal economist Jennifer Lee said, “but it is not at a record anymore and that is a start.”
The initial claims figure — which represents the number of people filling out applications for jobless benefits for the first time — held above two million last week for a 10th straight week amid second-wave layoffs in the private sector, such as the 12,000 announced this week by plane manufacturer Boeing.
Initial claims for state unemployment benefits totalled a seasonally adjusted 2.123 million for the week ended May 23, from a revised 2.446 million in the prior week. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast initial claims falling to 2.1 million in the latest week from the previously reported 2.438 million.
Though claims have declined steadily since hitting a record 6.867 million in late March, they have not registered below two million since mid-March. The astonishingly high level of claims has persisted even as non-essential businesses are starting to reopen after shuttering in mid-March to control the spread of COVID-19, an indication it could take a while for the economy to dig out of the coronavirus-induced slump.
“I am concerned that we are seeing a second round of private sector layoffs that, coupled with a rising number of public sector cutbacks, is driving up the number of people unemployed,” said Joel Naroff, chief economist at Naroff Economics in Holland, Pennsylvania.
“If that is the case, given the pace of reopening, we could be in for an extended period of extraordinary high unemployment. And that means the recovery will be slower and will take a lot longer.”
Profit falls at TD and CIBC as loan loss provisions soar – CBC.ca
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) and TD Bank Group missed quarterly earnings expectations on Thursday, as they set aside billions to cover future loan losses due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The massive jump in provisions took the total amount set aside by Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Montreal , Bank of Nova Scotia, National Bank of Canada , CIBC and TD Bank to $10.93 billion.
The money set aside for credit losses on both performing and impaired loans as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and continued pressure on oil prices has added to pressure on Canada’s biggest lenders from decade-low interest rates.
Canadian banks have grown their oil and gas loan books faster than total lending in recent quarters, and their business loan books overall expanded during the second quarter as borrowers unable to access debt markets drew down credit lines.
CIBC posted an adjusted profit of 94 Canadian cents per share for the quarter ended April, compared with analysts’ expectations of $1.58 per share.
TD Bank, Canada’s second-biggest lender, reported an adjusted profit of 85 Canadian cents per share, missing estimates of 89 Canadian cents.
Net income was $1.5 billion at TD, down 52 per cent from last year. Net income was $392 million at CIBC, down 70 per cent from last year.
CIBC also reported lower net income across divisions and higher expenses. Controlling costs is particularly vital for CIBC, which has already said it expects expenses to grow this year at about double the rate of its rivals.
It flagged layoffs earlier this year to aid its efforts to cut costs and become more efficient.
CIBC set aside $1.41 billion in the quarter for future loan losses, compared with $255 million a year earlier, while total provisions for TD Bank jumped to $3.22 billion, compared with $633 million a year earlier.
Trump signs executive order aimed at social media companies – CBC.ca
A statistical look at the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Columbus Blue Jackets play-in series – TSN
Now you can buy puzzles of Toronto businesses – NOW Magazine
- Sports13 hours ago
How Street Fighter helped lay the foundations for the esports boom
- Business18 hours ago
CMHC offers dire predictions for house-price drops in B.C.
- Media17 hours ago
‘The wrong message’: Vancouver cuts sanitation funding, hires $95K social media staffer – Globalnews.ca
- Sports15 hours ago
Maple Leafs’ Dubas on winning with an asterisk
- Tech14 hours ago
Apple Buys Canadian Inductiv Inc To Help Improve Machine-Learning And AI
- Tech13 hours ago
Apple Acquired Canadian Machine Learning Company 'Inductive' in April for their AI Technology – Patently Apple
- Health14 hours ago
New maps show the location of Toronto COVID-19 hot spots; Ontario posts fewer than 400 COVID-19 cases for second day in a row – Toronto Star
- Real eState14 hours ago
The State of Canada Real Estate