Connect with us

Tech

Apple defends controversial plans to scan iPhones for child abuse photos after backlash – Euronews

Published

 on


Apple has responded to criticism that its new anti-child abuse measures will infringe on users’ privacy.

The backlash follows the company’s announcement last week that it plans to introduce a new means of scanning for child abuse in images uploaded to iCloud.

More than 5,000 people and organisations – including whistleblower Edward Snowden and the Center for Democracy and Technology – signed an open letter calling on Apple to repeal its decision, arguing that it opened a “backdoor” to spying on people, particularly by authoritarian governments.

The company has been forced to defend the new technology and pledged to not “expand it” further.

“Let us be clear, this technology is limited to detecting CSAM [child sexual abuse material] stored in iCloud,” the company said in a new FAQ on its website.

“We will not accede to any government’s request to expand it. Furthermore, Apple conducts human review before making a report”.

How does the controversial system work?

Law enforcement officials maintain a database of known child sexual abuse images and translate those images into “hashes” – numerical codes that positively identify the image but cannot be used to reconstruct them.

Apple will implement a similar database using a technology called “NeuralHash,” designed to also catch edited images similar to the originals. That database will be stored on iPhones.

When a user uploads an image to Apple’s iCloud storage service, the iPhone will create a hash of the image to be uploaded and compare it against the database.

The company claims that the system is designed to reduce false positives to one in a trillion.

Why has there been criticism?

Critics of the plan say that it is an intrusion of users’ privacy and could set a dangerous precedent “where our personal devices become a radical new tool for invasive surveillance, with little oversight to prevent eventual abuse and unreasonable expansion of the scope of surveillance”.

In an open letter published on Friday, critics voiced concerns that the tech giant’s plans would “undermine fundamental privacy protections” on Apple products.

“While child exploitation is a serious problem, and while efforts to combat it are almost unquestionably well-intentioned, Apple’s proposal introduces a backdoor that threatens to undermine fundamental privacy protections for all users of Apple products,” they wrote.

They also implored that “Apple Inc.’s’ deployment of its proposed content monitoring technology is halted immediately” and that the company “issue a statement reaffirming their commitment to end-to-end encryption and to user privacy”.

Apple’s response to its critics

However, in Apple’s new FAQ document, the company claims that CSAM detection in iCloud Photos does not send information to Apple about “any photos other than those that match known CSAM images”.

The company also reiterated that the system does not work for users who have iCloud photos disabled and that it does not work on your private iPhone photo library on your device.

Despite the company’s assurances that it will now bow to pressure from governments to expand the technology, Apple has made concessions to governments in the past.

In Saudi Arabia, Apple sells iPhones with FaceTime disabled as the country does not allow encrypted phone calls. In January 2020, Reuters reported that the company had scrapped plans for encrypting data backups after pressure from the FBI.

Dr Nadim Kobeissi, a researcher in security and privacy issues, is critical of Apple’s response to the concerns.

“Asking people to disable iCloud Photos in 2021 is not realistic, and Apple knows this,” he said.

“Everyone depends strongly on iCloud Photos not just for sync, but as a critical backup feature for what is often years and years of important photos”.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

European Union could force all smartphone manufacturers to use USB-C charging – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


Europe could soon require all smartphone manufacturers to use USB-C charging, according to a new EU Commission ruling proposal.

The commission says the proposal aims to reduce e-waste and the “consumer inconvenience” resulting from different chargers. The commission also mentions that it wants manufacturers to stop selling chargers alongside electronic devices to minimize e-waste further.

“With today’s proposal… USB-C will become the standard port for all smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogame consoles,” reads the report.

The report then says that it has reduced the number of mobile chargers in Europe from 30 to just three, with Apple’s proprietary Lightning port part of the smaller list. The report states that roughly 20 percent of devices sold in Europe feature the Lightning port, but that the EU wants to change this — possibly by forcing Apple to adopt USB-C.

EU executive vice president Margrethe Vestager made the following statement in the report:

“European consumers were frustrated long enough about incompatible chargers piling up in their drawers. We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions.”

As you may have already guessed, Apple has resisted the shift to USB-C in the past concerning the EU’s efforts. For example, last year, when the organization voted on the concept of a standard charger, Apple released a statement stating that adopting USB-C would “stifle innovation.”

In a statement to the BBC, Apple said, “We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world.”

With the release of the iPhone 12, Apple stopped including a charging brick in the box of its smartphones, citing environmental concerns related to materials and shipping costs. This move also likely saved the tech giant a lot of money. The company has also shifted to USB-C charging with several of its other devices, including Macs, most iPad models and its accompanying ecosystem of accessories. Some Android devices from companies like Samsung, for example, also no longer include chargers in their boxes.

It’s unclear if this law will go through, given it’s still in the proposal stages and must first be passed by lawmakers and several governments. However, it’s possible that in a few years, Apple could be forced to adopt USB-C for the iPhones it sells in Europe.

Source: European Union, BBC Via: Engadget

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan – Video Games Chronicle

Published

 on


Nintendo [2,050 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/”>Nintendo has announced that Nintendo 64 [151 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/nintendo-64/”>Nintendo 64 and Mega Drive / Genesis games will be added to Nintendo Switch [1,941 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/switch/”>Switch Online in late October.

A new membership tier called the Expansion Pack will be introduced that adds selections of games from each system.

Special controllers for each system will also be released at $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 each.

The Japanese Mega Drive controller will have six buttons, whereas the North American and European version will be the 3-button controller released alongside the console when it originally launched.

Nintendo Switch OLED Model Trailer

The full list of games at launch will be:

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan

Mega Drive

Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan
Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan
Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan
Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan

Nintendo has also confirmed some of the Nintendo 64 games that will be added after launch, including:

There was no mention, however, of Game Boy and Game Boy Color games on Switch Online, which had been reported in the past few weeks.

Nintendo discussed expanding the Switch Online library with other platforms as far back as 2019, 12 months after it launched.

During a 2019 shareholder meeting, president Shuntaro Furukawa [145 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/people/shuntaro-furukawa/”>Shuntaro Furukawa was asked specifically if the company had plans to re-release Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube [174 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/nintendo-gamecube/”>GameCube software.

“At this place we cannot tell new information about future classic hardware among others, but we are thinking about providing an extension of the online service which is currently providing Famicom [NES] software, as well as other methods of providing them,” he said.

“We also recognise that there are opinions wanting to play past titles.”

.cls-1fill:url(#linear-gradient).cls-2fill:#fff

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

U.S. social audio app Clubhouse launches ‘wave’ feature for private chats

Published

 on

U.S. social audio app Clubhouse launched a feature on Thursday to let users virtually wave at friends inside its audio-only chat app to show they are open to a private chat, in a move to expand beyond public rooms that can have thousands of listeners.

Clubhouse, which pioneered the “social audio” feature that has since been copied by Facebook and Twitter, wants to enable users to have private chats, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Paul Davison told Reuters.

“A lot of people know us for bigger conversations, but the reason people stay so long is they’re finding their friends and meeting new people,” he said in an interview.

Users of Clubhouse, which is backed by venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, can “wave” at friends online in the app and a private audio chat room will open when a person accepts the wave. The user can then invite more contacts into the private room, or choose to open the chat to the public, Clubhouse said.

 

(Reporting by Sheila Dang in Dallas; Editing by Edmund Blair)

Continue Reading

Trending