Connect with us

Tech

Apple says 'no evidence' iPhone mail flaw used against customers – The Globe and Mail

Published

on


Apple on Wednesday acknowledged the vulnerability existed in its software for email on iPhones and iPads, known as the Mail app.

Mark Schiefelbein/The Associated Press

Apple Inc said on Thursday it has found “no evidence” of a flaw in its e-mail app for iPhones and iPads has been used against customers, and that it believes the flaw does “not pose an immediate risk to our users.”

San Francisco-based cybersecurity firm ZecOps on Wednesday detailed a flaw that it said may have left more than half a billion iPhones vulnerable to hackers.

Zuk Avraham, ZecOps’ chief executive, told Reuters he found evidence the vulnerability was exploited in at least six cybersecurity break-ins.

Story continues below advertisement

Avraham said he found evidence that an attacker was taking advantage of the vulnerability as far back as January 2018, but that he could not determine who the hackers were.

Reuters was unable to independently verify his claim.

Apple on Wednesday acknowledged the vulnerability existed in its software for email on iPhones and iPads, known as the Mail app, and said the company had developed a fix that will be introduced in a forthcoming update to millions of devices it has sold globally.

On Thursday, Apple disputed Avraham’s evidence that the hack had been used against users.

“We have thoroughly investigated the researcher’s report and, based on the information provided, have concluded these issues do not pose an immediate risk to our users,” Apple said in a statement. “The researcher identified three issues in Mail, but alone they are insufficient to bypass iPhone and iPad security protections, and we have found no evidence they were used against customers.”

In response to Apple’s statement, ZecOps said it found evidence of related hacks against “a few organizations” and that it would share additional technical information once Apple released its software update to the public.

Be smart with your money. Get the latest investing insights delivered right to your inbox three times a week, with the Globe Investor newsletter. Sign up today.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Safari in iOS and iPadOS 14 Might Include Built-In Translator, Full Apple Pencil Support – MacRumors

Published

on


Apple is planning to add a built-in language translation feature and full Apple Pencil support to Safari in iOS and iPadOS 14, according to details found in a leaked version of iOS 14 by 9to5Mac.


Safari’s built-in translation feature would allow users to translate web pages without using a third-party app or service. If such a feature comes to ‌iOS 14‌, we can probably also count on it coming to the next-generation version of macOS as well.

The code suggests the translation option will be available for each website that’s visited, but an automatic translation feature will also be able to be turned on, similar to Chrome’s automatic translation. Apple also appears to be testing translation options for other apps, such as the App Store, allowing users to do things like read reviews in other languages.

Apple’s translations are powered by the Neural Engine and may work with or without an internet connection.

As for the ‌Apple Pencil‌, Apple may be planning to add full support for ‌Apple Pencil‌ input on websites, which would allow it to be used for drawing and marking up. This feature would be limited to ‌iPadOS‌ 14 as the ‌Apple Pencil‌ does not work on iPhones.

Earlier this year, MacRumors discovered new PencilKit features that will allow users to handwrite text in any text input field using the ‌Apple Pencil‌, with the handwritten content then converted into standard text.

The code also indicates Apple is working on a kind of “Magic Fill” feature that will let users draw a general shape in an app and have it filled in by the operating system.

The leaked version of ‌iOS 14‌ that’s been floating around the internet is an early version of the software and it’s not clear if Apple’s development plans have changed or if some features might be delayed due to the global health crisis.

We’ll find out what we can expect in ‌iOS 14‌ on June 22, which is when Apple’s virtual WWDC event is set to kick off.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Judge tosses former Maryland basketball players' Fortnite dance lawsuit – ESPN

Published

on


A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit in which two former University of Maryland men’s basketball players accused makers of the Fortnite video game of misappropriating a dance move that the ex-teammates popularized.

U.S. District Judge Paul Grimm in Maryland ruled Friday that the Copyright Act preempts claims that Jared Nickens and Jaylen Brantley filed in February 2019 against Epic Games Inc., creator of the wildly popular online shooting game.

Nickens and Brantley claimed the Cary, North Carolina-based company misappropriated their identities by digitally copying the “Running Man Challenge” dance that they performed in social media videos and on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in 2016.

Their copyright infringement lawsuit claimed the “Running Man” emote — a celebratory dance in Fortnite — that players can purchase for their characters is identical to the dance that Nickens and Brantley took credit for creating.

The judge said the key question is whether plaintiffs have a claim that is “qualitatively different” from the rights protected by the Copyright Act.

“And here Plaintiffs claim is based on Epic Games allegedly ‘capturing and digitally copying’ the Running Man dance to create the Fortnite emote that ‘allows the player’s avatars to execute the Running Man identically to Plaintiffs’ version. This is squarely within the rights protected by the Copyright Act,'” he wrote.

Brantley, of Springfield, Massachusetts, and Nickens, of Monmouth Junction, New Jersey, were seeking more than $5 million in damages.

Epic Games spokesman Nick Chester declined to comment Monday on the judge’s ruling.

While the game itself is free to play, players can purchase emotes and other character customizations.

Other artists, including Brooklyn-based rapper 2 Milly and “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star Alfonso Ribeiro, also have sued Epic Games over other dances depicted in the shooting game. Ribeiro dropped his lawsuit against Epic Games last year after the U.S. Copyright Office denied him a copyright for the “Carlton” dance that his character performed on the 1990s sitcom.

Nickens and Brantley appeared on DeGeneres’ talk show alongside two New Jersey high school students who were posting videos of the dance online before the two University of Maryland basketball players filmed their own version. Brantley told DeGeneres that Nickens first showed him the dance in a video on Instagram.

“We dance every day for our teammates in the locker room,” Brantley said. “We were like, ‘Hey, let’s make a video and make everybody laugh.'”

One of their dance videos has millions of views on Instagram, YouTube and Facebook, their lawsuit said.

The judge dismissed their lawsuit’s claims for invasion of privacy, unfair competition and unjust enrichment based on preemption under the Copyright Act. He also threw out their trademark claims and claims accusing the company of unfair competition and “false designation of origin” under the Lanham Act.

“Plaintiffs seek to place the same square peg into eight round holes in search of a cause of action against Epic Games for its use of the Running Man dance in its game Fortnite. But Plaintiffs’ claims that Epic Games copied the dance do not support any of their theories,” the judge wrote.

Plaintiffs’ attorney Richard Jaklitsch said his clients may not be able to afford the costs of appealing the judge’s ruling. He said it seems “un-American” for the company to “profit off the backs of” Nickens and Brantley.

“Epic can still step up and do the right thing. Epic can still step up and acknowledge what these kids did,” he said.

Nickens was playing professional basketball in Canada and Brantley was working as a sports agent when they sued last year, according to Jaklitsch.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

BMW's all-new 2021 4 Series Coupe is wider, taller, longer, and bolder – Driving

Published

on


BMW unveiled the all-new 2021 BMW 4 Series early June, the second generation of its two-door coupe, in a world premiere shown online instead of at a conventional show, due to pandemic restrictions.

The 430i xDrive and M440i xDrive – the “xDrive” designation is for all-wheel-drive – will go on sale in Canada in October, with prices yet to be announced.

A convertible version and top-performance M4 are expected to follow as well.

During the Munich-based presentation, BMW also briefly showed an all-electric version, the i4, but it doesn’t look like Canadian buyers will have a crack at that one, at least not right away.

The 430xi xDrive uses an updated 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder, making 255 horsepower and 294 lb-ft of torque, an increase of 7 horses and 36 lb-ft over the outgoing generation. BMW claims zero to 100 km/h in 5.6 seconds, with a top speed of 240 km/h.

The M440i xDrive uses a 3.0L turbocharged inline-six and makes 382 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque, an increase of 62 horsepower and 39 lb-ft. Its zero-to-100-km/h sprint happens in 4.5 seconds.

The six-cylinder also includes a new 48-volt mild hybrid system, which grabs its energy from recuperative braking and uses it to add up to 11 horsepower during hard acceleration. It also smoothly restarts the engine after it’s been shut off by the auto start/stop function, which now also shuts it down when the driver is braking for a stop and the car drops below 15 km/h.

Save-the-manual fans are left out; both engines mate to an eight-speed automatic transmission with launch control. The M440i adds a rear M Sport differential for improved traction on acceleration.

Compared to the outgoing 4 Series Coupe, the new one is wider, longer, and taller, with a longer wheelbase and wider front and rear tracks. It shares its wheelbase with its recently-redesigned 3 Series Sedan cousin, but it’s lower and larger.

Other changes include a definitely-polarizing nose with a massive grille, which BMW said “accommodates the greater cooling requirements of the more powerful engines.” The rest of the design is handsome, though, with a sweeping roofline and uncluttered rear styling. The M440i is differentiated by a rear spoiler and grey accents on the grille, front intake, mirrors and exhaust tips.

Inside, the new model retains much of BMW’s customary cabin styling but adds new sport seats and steering wheel, while the M440i adds an M Sport steering wheel and M-branded sill plates.

Along with standard blind-spot monitoring and lane-keeping assist, and the addition of Android Auto alongside Apple CarPlay, the 4 Series offers active cruise control with extended hands-free operation, a self-parking feature, and an adaptive drive mode that uses the navigation system’s map data to anticipate upcoming curves.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending