Connect with us

Health

Army apologizes after Nova Scotia residents receive fake letter warning of wolves – Similkameen Spotlight

Published

 on


The Canadian Armed Forces is apologizing after some residents of Kings County, N.S., received a phoney letter warning of wolves in the area.

The letter, dated Sept. 19, said a pack of eight grey wolves had been released in northern Nova Scotia in August to reintroduce the species into the ecosystem.

Written on what looks like provincial Department of Lands and Forestry letterhead and signed by someone identified as a “large mammal biologist,” the letter advised anyone encountering a wolf to “back away slowly while remaining calm — do not turn and run.”

Lt. Lance Wade, a public affairs officer with the36 Canadian Brigade Group, acknowledged in an interview Tuesday that the letter came from an army reserve training session at Camp Aldershot outside Kentville, N.S.

“We’re sincerely apologetic,” Wade said, adding the incident was a first for reservists. “Any inconvenience we’ve caused to the public and the Department of Lands and Forestry, we deeply regret.”

He said he doesn’t know why the training required the false note or how it got into civilian mailboxes. He said an investigation is ongoing.

“It seems relatively innocuous,” he said. “Once we have all the facts, we’ll be happy to explain a little bit further on why that was chosen.”

The letter had the appearance of an official Lands and Forestry notice, but in a Twitter “alert” last week, the department confirmed the letter was a hoax and stressed that the government had not released any wolves into the wild.

“This letter has been showing up in some mailboxes,” the tweet said. “It’s fake. We do not know who circulated it or why.” The Department of Lands and Forestry had no further comment on the incident Tuesday.

According to the Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park, grey wolves no longer inhabit Nova Scotia, but they can still be found in other areas across Canada thanks to conservation efforts.

As for the actual release of wolves into the province, Dalhousie University professor Karen Beazley cautions against it.

Beazley, a professor in Dalhousie’s School for Resource and Environmental Studies, completed a study on the feasibility of wolf introduction in the province in 2016. She concluded “insufficiently connected habitat, insufficient prey, and insufficient public/social support or tolerance” made actual wolf introduction in the province a difficult task.

She said, however, that future reintroduction of wolves could be supported by compensation for livestock losses, education to increase public’s awareness and better land management across the province.

ALSO READ: COVID-19 won’t spook away trick-or-treating if safety rules followed: health officers

———

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

Danielle Edwards, The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

Canadian Armed ForcesNova Scotia

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 Official Update by the Chief Public Health Officer Read more Skip – eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News

Published

 on


Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement today:

“As the resurgence of COVID-19 activity continues in Canada, we are tracking a range of epidemiological indicators to monitor where the disease is most active, where it is spreading and how it is impacting the health of Canadians and public health, laboratory and healthcare capacity. The following is the latest summary on national numbers and trends, and the actions we all need to be taking to maintain COVID-19 at manageable levels across the country. 

Since the first cases were reported in March 2020, there have been 213,959 cases of COVID-19, including 9,922 deaths reported in Canada; these cumulative numbers tell us about the overall burden of COVID-19 illness to date. Though the cumulative number is high and continues to increase, it is important to remember that the vast majority of Canadians remain susceptible to COVID-19. This is why it is important for everyone to continue with individual precautions that will keep ourselves, our families and our communities safer.  

At this time, there are 24,401 active cases across the country. The latest national-level data indicate daily averages of 2,488 new cases (Oct 16-22) and 74,719 people tested, with 3.1% testing positive (Oct 11-17). Outbreaks continue to contribute to COVID-19 spread in Canada. These vary in size from just a few cases to larger clusters occurring in a range of settings including long term care and assisted living facilities, schools, congregate living settings, industrial work settings and large social gatherings. Larger clusters tell us that closed and crowded settings and/or not sufficiently maintaining public health practises, such as physical distancing and mask wearing, can amplify spread of the virus.

While I know keeping physically apart is difficult, particularly when we want to mark life’s important moments like weddings and funerals, now is not the time for hosting large in-person gatherings. Right now, doing the best thing to keep our family, friends and community safer means keeping safely apart, connecting virtually, and finding safer ways to care and support each other.

The number of people experiencing severe illness continues to increase. Provincial and territorial data, indicate that an average of 1,010 people with COVID-19 were being treated in Canadian hospitals each day during the most recent 7-day period (Oct 16-22), including 209 of whom were being treated in intensive care units. During the same period, there were an average of 23 COVID-19-related deaths reported daily. 

As hospitalisations and deaths tend to lag behind increased disease activity by one to several weeks, the concern is that we have yet to see the extent of severe impacts associated with the ongoing increase in COVID-19 disease activity. As well, influenza and respiratory infections typically increase during the Fall and Winter, placing increased demands on hospitals. This is why it is so important for people of all ages to maintain public health practises that keep respiratory infection rates low.

Canada needs a collective effort to sustain the public health response through to the end of the pandemic, while balancing the health, social and economic consequences. We can all do our part by keeping our number of in-person close contacts low and committing to proven effective public health practises; stay home/self-isolate if you have any symptoms, maintain physical distancing, wear a face mask as appropriate, and keep up with hand, cough and surface hygiene. Canadians can also go the extra mile by sharing credible information on COVID-19 risks and prevention practises and measures to reduce COVID-19 in communities and by downloading the COVID Alert app to help limit the spread of COVID-19. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus cases surpass 100,000 in Quebec – CTV News Montreal

Published

 on


MONTREAL —
The number of confirmed COVID-19 positive cases in Quebec surpassed 100,000 Sunday, as the province reported reported that 879 more people have tested positive in the past 24 hours. 

The total number of positive cases in Quebec is now 100,114 since the start of the pandemic.

Authorities are reporting that five more people have died due to the disease since Saturday. Additionally, five deaths occurred between Oct. 18 and Oct. 23, and one who died at an unknown date.

Four of the deaths were reported in Monteregie (687 total), three in Chaudiere-Appalaches (57 total) and one in Estrie (36 total), Montreal (3,515 total), Outaouais (39 total) and Laval (707 total).

The vast majority (92 per cent) of those who have died due to the disease were over 70, according to Quebec.

The total number of deaths due to COVID-19 in the province is now 6,143.

Montreal reported its lowest daily increase since Sept. 21 with 146 new positive tests (40,869 total), and was lower than Monteregie which reported 162 new positive cases (14,657 total). Quebec City reported 116 new cases (8,233 total), while Chaudiere-Appalaches with 90 new cases (3,139 total) and Lanaudiere with 89 new cases (6,705 total) also had significant increases.

Authorities also announced that two more people are receiving treatment for COVID-19 in Quebec hospitals for a total of 551. Of those, 97 people are in the intensive care ward, an increase of four.

The National Institute of Public Health also reported that 1,009 more people have recovered from the disease bringing that total to 84,828.

Health-care professionals analyzed 25,378 samples Oct. 23. (Quebec releases testing data from two days prior to its daily updates.

ACROSS CANADA

Across Canada, 216,043 cases of COVID-19 have been reported since the start of the pandemic, including 9,946 deaths.

The authorities remain concerned about the situation.

“Given that hospitalizations and deaths tend to occur one to several weeks after increased transmission of the disease, it is concerning that we have yet to experience the magnitude of the severe impact associated with the continued increase in transmission of COVID-19,” said Canadian director of public health Dr. Theresa Tam.

Here is the distribution of cases across the country since the start of the pandemic, according to the most recent provincial and territorial reports:

  • Quebec: 100,114 confirmed (including 6,143 deaths, 84,828 resolved)
  • Ontario: 70,373 confirmed (including 3,093 deaths, 60,160 resolved)
  • Alberta: 24,261 confirmed (including 300 deaths, 20,310 resolved)
  • British Columbia: 12,554 confirmed (including 256 deaths, 10,247 resolved)
  • Manitoba: 4,249 confirmed (including 54 deaths, 2,142 resolved)
  • Saskatchewan: 2,669 confirmed (including 25 deaths, 2,070 resolved)
  • Nova Scotia: 1,100 confirmed (including 65 deaths, 1,029 resolved)
  • New Brunswick: 328 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 257 resolved)
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: 290 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 275 resolved)
  • Prince Edward Island: 64 confirmed (including 63 resolved)
  • Yukon: 20 confirmed (including 15 resolved)
  • Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed (including 13 resolved)
  • Northwest Territories: 5 confirmed (including 5 resolved), 3 presumptive
  • Nunavut: No confirmed cases

— with reporting from The Canadian Press.

 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

News Releases | COVID-19 Bulletin #232 – news.gov.mb.ca

Published

 on


Need More Info?

Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.

Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.

Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-794-0732.

Twitter Feed

Quick Links

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending