Connect with us

Health

Aug. 28: Two more COVID-19 cases identified in Nova Scotia's northern zone – The Guardian

Published

on





 Nova Scotia is reporting two new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, which are connected to previously reported cases in the province’s northern zone.

There are currently five active cases of COVID-19 in the province.

On Wednesday, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health said at a briefing that there had been three unlinked clusters in the northern zone in the past two weeks.

One involved someone who travelled from outside the Atlantic bubble but did not self-isolate. Another cluster was made up of two foreign workers who had been self-isolating and had not exposed anyone else to the virus.

The third cluster is linked to someone who came to Nova Scotia for work and tested positive when they returned to their home province. Four Nova Scotians contracted COVID-19 in relation to this case. 

The Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs completed 1,058 Nova Scotia tests on Thursday.

So far, Nova Scotia has 73,837 negative test results, 1,083 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths, the province said in its daily COVID-19 update.

No one is currently in hospital and cases range in age from under 10 to over 90. A total of 1,013 cases, which have been identified in all part of the province, are now resolved.

Anyone with any of the following symptoms is asked to visit 811.novascotia.ca to determine if they should call 811 for further assessment:

  • fever (chills, sweats)
  • cough or worsening of a previous cough
  • sore throat
  • headache
  • shortness of breath
  • muscle aches
  • sneezing
  • nasal congestion/runny nose
  • hoarse voice
  • diarrhea
  • unusual fatigue
  • loss of sense of smell or taste
  • red, purple or bluish lesions on the feet, toes or fingers without clear cause

When a new case is confirmed, public health works to identify and test people who may have come in close contact with that person. Those who have been confirmed are being directed to self-isolate at home for 14 days.

For more information, go to https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/.

RELATED:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

19 new coronavirus cases reported in Saskatchewan, hits single-day testing record – Global News

Published

on


Winnipeg police say a woman has died and several other people have been injured in a collision involving a vehicle that was fleeing police.

The crash happened at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday in the area of Salter Street and Boyd Avenue, police said in a statement.

According to police, officers tried to pull over a vehicle for a traffic stop but the driver “took off at a high rate of speed.”

Read more:
Vehicle-pedestrian collision on Portage Ave. leaves one person in critical condition

Seconds later, the vehicle hit another car in the nearby intersection of Andrews Street and Boyd Avenue.

Four people in the vehicle that was struck — including an infant and a child — were sent to hospital.  A woman who was in that vehicle has died from her injuries, police said.

Story continues below advertisement

Two people from the vehicle that had fled police were also transported to hospital.






0:24
No injuries reported after school bus crashes into hydro pole in downtown Winnipeg


No injuries reported after school bus crashes into hydro pole in downtown Winnipeg

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba, which investigates serious incidents involving police, has been called to investigate.

In a press conference Saturday evening, Winnipeg Police Const. Rob Carver said that almost everyone in the collision was in either serious or critical condition.

“Incredibly tragic, we’ve got an infant in the vehicle, a child in the vehicle, a woman who was killed in this crash, tragic all around,” said Carver, who also stressed that the incident was not a result of a police pursuit.

A photo of the crash scene near Salter Street and Boyd Avenue.


A photo of the crash scene near Salter Street and Boyd Avenue.


Global News

“We pulled up, we attempted to have this vehicle spoken to, and the vehicle fled. We did not pursue it.”

Story continues below advertisement

For the two people in the fleeing vehicle, Carver said he does not have an idea on their injuries, but that they will at some point be taken into custody “when their medical condition allows for that.”

“In the space of less than half a minute … what started out as a routine incident ended up with multiple people in the hospital and a woman killed, and these people were not connected at all.”

— With files from Global News’ David Lao

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses: SHA – CTV News Saskatoon

Published

on


SASKATOON —
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is warning of a possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses in the last week. 

The SHA said a person or persons attended the following locations while likely infectious:

• Sept. 19 – Walmart Supercentre at 225 Betts Ave. in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 22 – Planet Fitness at Market Mall on 2325 Preston Ave. S in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 23 – KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive in Saskatoon from 5 to 10 p.m.

The SHA is advising anyone who was at these locations on the specified dates and times to self monitor for 14 days or immediately self isolate and call HealthLine 811 if they develop symptoms of COVID-19. 

People may develop symptoms between two and 14 days after getting exposed to the virus, according to the SHA.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: 7 people linked to Toronto restaurant test positive, around 1,700 possibly exposed – Global News

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) officials say seven people linked to a downtown restaurant have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and officials are now asking approximately 1,700 people to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.

Officials said five staff members and two patrons of Yonge Street Warehouse — located near Yonge and Dundas streets — are confirmed to have contracted the virus.

All known close contacts of those individuals have been reached by TPH, officials said, adding that anyone who hasn’t been contacted is considered low risk.

TPH said the period for potential exposure is from Sept. 10 to 17 — it’s estimated around 1,700 people may have attended the restaurant during that time.

Story continues below advertisement

Anyone who was at the establishment during that period is being asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days since their last visit “as a precaution.”

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“If symptoms develop, please contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate,” officials said.

“Please wear a mask when going for testing.”






1:12
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school


COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending