" >Aurora Cannabis reports $80 million Q2 loss following layoffs, CEO departure, writedown - Global News | Canada News Media
Connect with us

Business

Aurora Cannabis reports $80 million Q2 loss following layoffs, CEO departure, writedown – Global News

Published

on


Aurora Cannabis Inc.’s second quarter earnings were weighed down by a drop in cannabis production and the costs associated with ramping up efforts to roll out cannabis edibles and vapes.

The Edmonton-based company revealed Thursday that it incurred a loss in its second quarter and that its net revenue for the three months ended Dec. 31 was $56 million, up from $54.2 million a year earlier but down from roughly $75 million in the prior quarter ended Sept. 30.

The company says its net loss for the quarter amounted to $1.3 billion or $1.18 per share, compared with a loss of $239.6 million or 25 cents per share a year earlier. It earned $10.3 million in the first quarter.

The loss came as Aurora has faced troubled times. A week ago it announced it was taking $1 billion in writedowns and would lay off 500 employees as part of a restructuring of its spending plans. The company also said its chief executive Terry Booth was retiring and a search was underway for his successor.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: More cannabis industry layoffs likely after 500 positions cut at Aurora: experts

“The past year has been challenging for the broader cannabis industry with issues of retail constraints, evolving consumer demand and provincial distributor inventory management adjustments,” said Michael Singer, Aurora’s interim chief executive, on a call with analysts.

“It is important to remind ourselves that the Canadian consumer market is just over a year old and will take time to develop, but we remain extremely bullish on the long-term potential of the Canadian medical and consumer markets as well as established international medical markets.”

Aurora said it was hampered because it produced 30,691 kilograms of cannabis compared with 41,436 kilograms in the first quarter as it changed its cultivation strategies to accommodate more high-value and high-potency strains.






2:13
Cannabis takes a tumble on the stock market


Cannabis takes a tumble on the stock market

Meanwhile, the cost of production increased to 88 cents a gram in the latest quarter. The company hopes to keep that rate below a dollar for the foreseeable future.

Aurora – the maker of brands Aurora Drift, San Rafael ’71, Daily Special, AltaVie, MedReleaf, CanniMed, Whistler and ROAR Sports – said it faced further struggles as it worked to release vapes, concentrates, gummies, chocolates, mints and cookies in time for Cannabis 2.0, which legalized edibles and vapes in Canada a few weeks ago.

Story continues below advertisement

Aurora had to invest in consumer education for the 2.0 launch and incurred campaign expenses for its rollout of the Aurora Drift brand, executives said.

READ MORE: Aurora Cannabis stock still sliding as it reveals executive Battley was asked to leave

Those moves combined with revenue declines caused the company to report its adjusted EBITDA loss for the third quarter widened to $80.2 million from $44.7 million a year earlier and a loss of $39.7 million in the first quarter.

Aurora expects larger-scale production lines that are on their way and a “more prudent” use of capital to help in the future.

“I want to stress that we recognize the importance of reducing our cost structure,” said Glen Ibbott, Aurora’s chief financial officer, on call. “We have taken decisive action to make change immediately.”

Ibbott was referencing the detailed evaluation of all capital projects underway that the company was undertaking after making its cuts last week. Aurora says the move will result in a restructuring of spending plans related to technology, sales and marketing, travel and entertainment, professional services and non-revenue generating third-party costs.

The dramatic changes mean Aurora is now expecting its revenues in the next quarter to be impacted by similar headwinds. The company said it now anticipates that it will experience either modest or no growth.

Story continues below advertisement

Aurora’s stock gained 6.5 cents or 3.4 per cent at $1.985 in midday trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

READ MORE: ‘Marijuana is the new Oxycontin’: Should we be concerned with how docs are learning about pot?

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Pension giant Caisse to sell one-third of its malls in Canada amid e-commerce hit – Financial Post

Published

on


Canada’s second-biggest pension manager is preparing to sell a third of the shopping centres it owns in its home market as e-commerce finally starts to bite the country’s brick-and-mortar retailers.

Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, says it will look for an array of solutions for its 25 Canadian malls after their problems contributed to a 2.7 per cent decline in the value of its real estate portfolio in 2019. Besides a sale, the Caisse’s real-estate unit, Ivanhoe Cambridge, will consider transforming malls with everything from residential housing to logistics space.

“Canada had been relatively protected but global trends are accelerating and are hitting us too,” Ivanhoe’s President Nathalie Palladitcheff told reporters Thursday. “When you have 25 shopping centres, it’s a big amount — even if it changes just a little bit, it has a great impact immediately in terms of figures.”

Ivanhoe Cambridge held $39.7-billion (US$29.9 bililion) worth of real estate at the end of 2019, about 12 per cent of the total funds under Caisse management. Its shopping centres include the Eaton Centrein Montreal and Metropolis at Metrotown I and II in Burnaby, a suburb of Vancouver.

“One can’t be satisfied with the 2019 returns,” Palladitcheff said. The division will reduce traditional assets, which she described as malls and offices.

The investment shift comes as real-estate funds in the U.S. and Europe struggle to meet a surge in investor requests to get their money back, driven by mounting concerns about the health of malls at a time of rapid growth e-commerce.

As store closures and bankruptcies pile up for retailers, malls are trying to find ways to draw foot traffic and keep their properties full of rent-paying tenants.

Metrotown illustrates the changing landscape, Palladitcheff said. Five years ago, a contract with Target Corp. was considered the best outcome, she said.

“As you well imagine, things have changed,” she said. “Today when we discuss a residential development for Metrotown, we see that is the best possible transaction.”

Target closed its Canadian stores in 2015 after losing billions.

Bloomberg.com

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Victoria is the only property market in Canada still flashing high vulnerability – Financial Post

Published

on


Victoria is the only real estate market in the country still showing high vulnerability, but the overall risk of a housing crash in the country remains moderate, according to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

“The evidence of overvaluation remains low as housing prices remain close to the levels supported by housing market fundamentals,” Bob Dugan, the CMHC’s chief economist told media as the agency released its latest quarterly report Thursday.

The Canadian Real Estate Association’s home price index rose 0.8 per cent in January compared to December, marking its eighth consecutive monthly gain. The benchmark index is now up 5.5 per cent from last year’s lowest point in May, CREA said in a report last week.

Victoria, capital of British Columbia, “continues to show a high degree of overall vulnerability,” but CMHC added that the imbalances are easing.

“Moderate evidence remains for overvaluation, however, declining inflation-adjusted home prices combined with growing personal disposable income and population have further narrowed the imbalances between observed and fundamental prices in the third quarter of 2019.”

Average Victoria home prices rose 1.4 per cent in January to $858,500, compared to the same period last year, according to the Victoria Real Estate Board.

Vancouver, another major real estate market that has seen sky-high prices in recent years, is also showing signs of easing, amid government tightening.

In Toronto price acceleration and overheating indicators are currently below their critical thresholds, but “market activity continues to rise, displayed by the sales-to-new listings ratio trending towards a sellers’ market and the accompanying stronger price growth,” the CMHC said.

In fact, the risks in the Toronto housing market remained moderate for the second quarter in a row, after being consistently classified as high risk for the previous three years. But Dugan cautioned that overheating and price increases remained a concern to watch for.

Earlier this week, the federal government said it is setting up a new benchmark interest rate for determining if people qualify for an insured mortgage using actual borrowing costs rather than advertised rates. Home buyers will need to qualify at the contract rate or a new benchmark based on 5-year fixed insured mortgage rates, plus 2 percentage points in both cases, the government said Tuesday. Those changes come into effect April 6.

Dugan said the corporation is aware of the possible impact of the federal government’s recent changes to mortgage stress tests and is watching the situation closely.

“It’s something that we’ll obviously monitor,” Dugan said. “The adjusted stress test for mortgages remains an important measure to ensure that Canadians, especially first-time home buyers, take on mortgages that they can afford.”

Markets in Quebec and Atlantic Canada were also considered low-risk, but the report said there was some froth on new construction in Montreal and Moncton.

The risk of a housing crash in the Prairies also remains low, CMHC said. Most markets in the three western provinces saw vacancy rates fall or stay flat, said Dugan, easing the regulator’s concerns about a possible oversupply of new construction.

“The rental market vacancy rates remain below critical thresholds,” Dugan said.

The only market in the west where CMHC kept its moderate risk assessment was Regina, where the vacancy rate for rental apartments is 7.8 per cent, a level which raised the CMHC’s concerns about oversupply.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Police deliver injunction to demonstrators blocking rail tracks in Saint-Lambert – CTV News

Published

on


MONTREAL —
Police have served protesters blocking rail tracks south of Montreal, in St-Lambert, with an injunction demanding they dismantle their barricades.

CN police just before 7 p.m. on Thursday approached the barricades with a box full of paper, delivering copies of the injunction to the protesters. Officers said they would give the protesters time to read it. It was unclear as of Thursday evening if police would move in against them.

Longueuil Police had tweeted just before 7 p.m., warning motorists to stay away from the area to allow the demonstrators to leave. 

The protesters, however, showed no signs of leaving.

Canadian National earlier had obtained the injunction to end the blockade of its railway line in Saint-Lambert that had snarled commuter rail traffic to Mont-St-Hilaire and Via Rail service to Quebec City.

Quebec Premier François Legault had said that the barricade would be dismantled by municipal police on the South Shore when the injunction was issued. Longueuil police had asked for the Surete du Quebec’s assistance to remove the barricades, should officers attempt to intervene.

Early Thursday afternoon the protesters were reluctant to speak to the media, though some locals had engaged with them. “I support you, but it’s enough,” St-Lambert resident David Skitt told the protesters, urging them to get off the tracks. After his conversation, where he expressed his frustration with their methods, he shook hands with one of the demonstrators and left.

Temperatures overnight Thursday were predicted to dip as low as -16 C with a windchill of -22 C, according to Environment Canada. The demonstrators had lit a fire inside of a tent and asked their supporters for wood, supplies and blankets.

The blockade of the railway line by supporters of Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs has delayed the planned resumption of Via Rail service between Montreal and Quebec City. Service on the busy corridor was set to resume Thursday, but Via Rail announced that the resumption has been postponed until at least the end of the day Friday. The new blockade gave Via Rail “no other option” to push back the resumption of service, the company said in a statement.

Service between Montreal and Ottawa is scheduled to resume Saturday. Service on the complete Windsor-Quebec City corridor is currently expected to resume Sunday.

On Wednesday, Via Rail announced that it was temporarily laying off some 1,000 employees due to the impact of blockades across the country.

Blockades of railway lines across the country have caused widespread passenger and cargo train delays and cancellations.

The blockades are being set up in solidarity with the hereditary chiefs of Wet’suwet’en First Nation of northern British Columbia, who are opposing the construction of a new pipeline through their territory.

– With reporting by The Canadian Press.

This is a developing story that will be updated.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending