Connect with us

Health

B.C. COVID-19 update: health officials announce 624 new cases, active cases drop in Island Health – CHEK

Published

 on


In Friday’s written COVID-19 update, British Columbia reports 624 new confirmed cases and 11 more deaths since Thursday.

Four of the new cases are epidemiologically linked, bringing the province’s COVID-19 total to 45,400 cases.

In the past 24 hours, five people on Vancouver Island have tested positive for the virus.

Right now, the BCCDC’s COVID-19 dashboard shows 62 active cases on the Island, a drop from yesterday’s 76 active cases.

The total active cases in B.C. is also down. Currently, there are 9,978 active cases in the province, down from 10,009 yesterday. In B.C., there are 356 people in hospital, 92 of whom are in intensive care.

So far, 33,586 people have recovered from COVID-19 in B.C. and 10,211 people are currently under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.

Of B.C.’s new cases, five are in Island Health, 106 are in the Vancouver Coastal Health Region, 406 in Fraser Health, 60 in the Interior and 47 more people have tested positive for the virus in the Northern Health region.

The ministry confirms 11 people have passed away in the past 24 hours due to COVID-19, bringing the province’s number of total deaths to 724.

There are no new healthcare facility outbreaks, but one community outbreak has been declared at the Rossdown Natural Foods.

Health Minister Adrian Dix says 1,376 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine were given to B.C. front-line health-care workers yesterday, for a total of 2,592 doses.

“The focus of our immunization program right now is to safely protect as many people as possible as efficiently as we can, but we have to remember that this is a global effort with many aspects often changing. As more vaccine arrives in the coming weeks, we all need to be patient and continue to follow public health orders to keep our communities safe,” said Dix.

There was no live update today but with the holidays approaching, our top doctor is urging everyone to connect in a virtual way this year.

“With the holiday season here, we are all looking to find creative and safe ways to connect with our families, friends and loved ones. For many, that means getting together virtually over a meal, watching holiday movie favourites or discovering new ways to connect safely from afar, such as a holiday bake-off over video conference or hosting an online games night or scavenger hunt with friends,” said provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry.

Island Health announced earlier on Friday that two of the new cases of COVID-19 are related to the outbreak at the Saanich Peninsula Hospital, one staff and one patient.

READ MORE: Two additional COVID-19 cases linked to Saanich Peninsula Hospital outbreak

This page will be updated with more information as it is released. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario reports 1,958 new coronavirus cases; 43 new deaths – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Ontario reported 1,958 new COVID-19 cases and 43 more deaths as the number of hospitalized patients held roughly steady and active infections continued to decline.

Ontario reported 2,417 cases on Sunday and 2,359 on Saturday.

“Locally, there are 727 new cases in Toronto, 365 in Peel and 157 in York Region,” Health Minister Christine Elliott wrote on Twitter.

The seven-day average of daily cases fell from 2,460 to 2,371.

Provincial labs processed about 36,000 test specimens in the past 24 hours, generating a positivity rate of at least 5.4 per cent.  

There have been 5,846 deaths and 227,494 recoveries from coronavirus infection since Jan. 25, 2020.

Another 23,620 active cases remain in Ontario, and that number is down approximately 2,000 in the past week.

Twenty-seven of the deaths reported on Monday involved residents of the long-term care system.

There were at least 1,425 patients receiving care in Ontario hospitals on Monday, according to local public health units and hospital networks, and the Critical Care Services of Ontario report from Sunday said there were 415 adult patients in intensive care across Ontario, along with one child.

ICU occupancy has held roughly steady for the past two weeks.

About 283 people were breathing with the help of a ventilator.

Michael Garron Hospital intensivist Dr. Michael Warner said that admissions to hospital appear to be stabilizing, but the situation could worsen dramatically because of the highly infectious B.1.1.7 variant from the United Kingdom.

“I think it is great that case numbers are coming down, we can’t dispute that, and ICU admissions are stable around 415 for the past week or so. I guess that is good but we can’t let our guard down. And we really have no idea how much B117 and other variants are circulating in Ontario or Canada,” he said.

On Sunday, officials in Simcoe-Muskoka said they detected what is likely to be Ontario’s 21st case of the B.1.1.7 variant, in a retail store worker who had contact with residents of a Bradford long-term care home.

“As long as planes keep on landing in Canada and as long as there is no mandatory quarantine, in some kind of federal facility the front door is still open and new variants can enter.”

Public Health Ontario is conducting a “point-prevalence study” of all positive samples collected on a given day last week to see how many cases of the UK variant are circulating in the community.

Elsewhere in the GTA, Durham Region reported 62 new cases, Hamilton reported 55 new cases, and Halton Region reported 54 new cases.

Meanwhile, supply restrictions continue to limit the number of additional COVID-19 vaccinations administered per day.

Elliott said about 6,000 more doses were administered on Sunday, bringing the total to about 292,000 injections to date.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario focuses on COVID-19 vaccines for long-term care residents amid dose delay – Toronto Star

Published

 on


TORONTO – Ontario is pausing COVID-19 vaccinations of long-term care staff and essential caregivers so that it can focus on administering the shots to all nursing home residents amid a shortage of doses.

The province announced the change of focus on its vaccination plan Monday as it deals with delays in deliveries of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, with no shots expected to arrive this week.

The government said the shift will mean some of the most vulnerable seniors will receive the first dose of the vaccine by Feb. 5.

“To reduce the risk of severe illness and death for the most vulnerable populations, health officials are accelerating the vaccination of long-term care, high-risk retirement, and First Nations elder care residents across Ontario,” the government said.

The government had initially promised to complete the vaccination of all long-term care home residents, staff and caregivers by Feb. 15.

Health-care workers who have already received their first dose will still get a second, but the province said that shot may be delayed by up to 42 days depending on supply.

The province said Monday it has administered the first dose of the vaccine in 479 long-term care homes, and 540 retirement homes.

The government said it expects 26,325 Pfizer-BioNTech doses next week, which are far fewer than the amount originally expected.

A total of 286,110 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the province so far.

The government also said it will reallocate vaccines to ensure that 14 public health units that have not yet received the vaccine can begin to immunize residents in long-term care this week.

Ontario is reporting 1,958 new cases of COVID-19 today and 43 more deaths linked to the virus.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath called on the government to give the first vaccine shot to all long-term care residents by Friday.

“We have to do far more than just wait for the vaccine in long-term care homes,” Horwath said in a statement. “Especially with the more infectious B117 variant knocking at the door of long-term care homes.”

Liberal health critic John Fraser said the government’s plan will save lives, but chided it for moving slowly on the vaccine rollout.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

“Let’s be clear though, Ontario didn’t need to be in this position,” he said in a statement. “Ontario had enough supply to vaccinate all 72,000 long-term care residents by the end of December 2020. Yet our limited vaccine supply has not been getting to those who need it most.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 25, 2021.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario Newsroom – Government of Ontario News

Published

 on


Ontario Newsroom | Salle de presse de l’Ontario

We’re sorry but Ontario Newsroom doesn’t work properly without JavaScript enabled. Please enable it to continue.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending