Connect with us

Health

B.C.'s community COVID-19 spread continues with 90 new cases – Surrey Now-Leader – Surrey Now-Leader

Published

on


B.C. recorded 90 more COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total active cases to 824 as the province attempts to deal with unregulated gatherings and parties believed to be fuelling the spread of the coronavirus.

The number of people hospitalized due to COVID-19 continues to be low, with 13 people in hospital and five in intensive care as of Aug. 21. The new cases are predominantly in younger age groups, which have lower risk of developing severe coronavirus ailments but can spread the infection as easily.

There were two more deaths reported in the Fraser health region, bringing the B.C. total to 202 since the pandemic began early in 2020.

The rise of daily cases comes as the province prepares to reopen schools and more people return to work. B.C. Ferries has made masks mandatory on its coastal sailings, and the same rule applies to public transit as of next week.

“COVID-19 prevention looks different in different places,” Dr. Réka Gustafson, B.C.’s deputy provincial health officer, and Health Minister Adrian Dix said in a statement. “In public, around people we do not know, we focus on giving people more space. In workplaces and classrooms where we interact with people we know, keeping our groups smaller, staying home when sick and reducing very close face-to-face contact is the goal.”

RELATED: B.C. imposes $2,000 fines for uncontrolled parties

RELATED: Ottawa extends CERB payments one more month

The province has announced new fines of up to $2,000 for people hosting or organizing parties without following public health orders, including restricting guests in vacation rentals to five, and recording contact information for people attending gatherings. Police and other enforcement officers can issue $200 fines for those who refuse to leave an event or are abusive to those enforcing public health orders.

Elderly people with chronic conditions are at greatest risk from COVID-19. Outbreak procedures are currently in place at six senior care centres in Fraser Health: Maple Ridge Seniors Village assisted living facility, Czorny Alzheimer Centre, Derby Manor, George Derby Centre and New Vista Care Home, as well as Arbutus Care Centre and Holy Family Hospital in the Vancouver Coastal Health region.


@tomfletcherbc
tfletcher@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

BC legislatureCoronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses: SHA – CTV News Saskatoon

Published

on


SASKATOON —
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is warning of a possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses in the last week. 

The SHA said a person or persons attended the following locations while likely infectious:

• Sept. 19 – Walmart Supercentre at 225 Betts Ave. in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 22 – Planet Fitness at Market Mall on 2325 Preston Ave. S in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 23 – KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive in Saskatoon from 5 to 10 p.m.

The SHA is advising anyone who was at these locations on the specified dates and times to self monitor for 14 days or immediately self isolate and call HealthLine 811 if they develop symptoms of COVID-19. 

People may develop symptoms between two and 14 days after getting exposed to the virus, according to the SHA.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: 7 people linked to Toronto restaurant test positive, around 1,700 possibly exposed – Global News

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) officials say seven people linked to a downtown restaurant have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and officials are now asking approximately 1,700 people to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.

Officials said five staff members and two patrons of Yonge Street Warehouse — located near Yonge and Dundas streets — are confirmed to have contracted the virus.

All known close contacts of those individuals have been reached by TPH, officials said, adding that anyone who hasn’t been contacted is considered low risk.

TPH said the period for potential exposure is from Sept. 10 to 17 — it’s estimated around 1,700 people may have attended the restaurant during that time.

Story continues below advertisement

Anyone who was at the establishment during that period is being asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days since their last visit “as a precaution.”

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“If symptoms develop, please contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate,” officials said.

“Please wear a mask when going for testing.”






1:12
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school


COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

7 COVID-19 cases linked to Yonge Street Warehouse – CBC.ca

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) says seven people who have tested positive for COVID-19 went to a Yonge Street restaurant within the last month.

Of the seven, five are staff members and two are patrons. All of which attended Yonge Street Warehouse, at 336 Yonge St., between Sept. 10 and Sept. 17.

The health agency wants to notify staff and patrons who visited the restaurant during the 8-day period about a potential exposure to the virus. 

TPH said they have followed up with all known close contacts and those individuals have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days and go for testing. 

Around 1,700 people may have been at the venue during this time, TPH said, however, people not already contacted are viewed as low risk.

“If you were at the Yonge Street Warehouse between September 10 to 17 but have not been contacted by TPH, you are not identified as a close contact,” read a statement released on Saturday.

Nevertheless, the health agency is still urging anyone who was there during the exposure time to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after their last visit. 

If symptoms develop, the agency asks you to contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending