Connect with us

Business

B.C. UPDATE: Gas rationed to 30 litres/visit, travel restricted for 10 days, Merritt may reroute river – National Post

Published

 on


Coldwater River nearing village’s treatment infrastructure

Article content

The British Columbia government is rationing gasoline and restricting travel on Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands, southwestern parts of the province and the Sunshine Coast after this week’s unprecedented storm severed highways and cut supply lines.

Advertisement

Article content

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said a limit of 30 litres of fuel per visit to a gas station is an important step to maintaining the supply as the province works to bring in more gas by truck and barge from Alberta, Washington state, Oregon and California.

He said the order would apply for 10 to 11 days and he trusts that people won’t be greedy while keeping critical services in mind as they focus on residents whose communities have been devastated by flooding.

He says police will not be enforcing the 30-litres-per-visit rule, but will be relying on residents to “do the right thing.”

Farnworth says if people follow the restrictions, B.C.’s gas supply will hold for the next 10 to 11 days.

He says gas stations are required to ensure their supplies last until Dec. 1 in southwestern B.C., the Sea To Sky region, Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island.

Advertisement

Article content

Farnworth said non-essential travel has also been prohibited on sections of highways 99, 3 and 7 starting Friday and passage through restricted areas will be reserved for commercial transport of such goods as food, water and medical supplies.

“As roads are repaired and the backlog of essential traffic clears, restrictions on essential travel can and will be eased. We will be releasing the details on enforcement in short order,” he said.

“But my hope is that everyone understands the need for these restrictions and fully co-operates. In other words, if you don’t need to be travelling right now, don’t. Stay home. And if you can’t do that, carpool or take public transit or work from home.”

  1. Farmers and community members help to rescue stranded cattle from a farm after rainstorms caused flooding and landslides in Abbotsford, B.C., November 16, 2021.

    The desperate rush to save thousands of B.C. livestock, with trailers, ropes and Sea-Doos

  2. Damage caused by heavy rains and mudslides earlier in the week is pictured along the Coquihalla Highway near Hope, B.C.

    ‘We are not out of this by a long shot’: Up to 100mm of rain forecast for British Columbia

Advertisement

Article content

Officials in Merritt are working with the provincial Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources on what the city called the “new course” of the Coldwater River.

The city inundated by floodwaters says the river is now much closer to Merritt’s wastewater treatment infrastructure, causing problems with its operation.

An update posted on Merritt’s Facebook page on Friday says the city and the ministry are starting to investigate whether rerouting the river to its original course would be possible, though no plans exist yet.

B.C. Agriculture Minister Lana Popham says affected farmers will be eligible for the province’s disaster relief, and she has been assured by her federal counterpart that there would also be support from that jurisdiction.

Advertisement

Article content

Highways throughout the southern parts of the province saw major damage, and some, like the Coquihalla, will not be rebuilt for several months while limited access has been restored to others with single-lane traffic permitted.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming said Highway 3 from Hope to the southern interior of the province had opened for essential travel and Highway 99, which links up with Highway 97 north of Cache Creek, could be open by Sunday depending on whether crews can continue their work.

“I want to emphasize this will not be travel as we’d expect under normal conditions. Crews will be on site with heavy equipment to continue to repair the roads. And until that work is complete, the traffic is going to be slow on these routes.”

Advertisement

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Pfizer says COVID-19 booster offers protection against Omicron – CTV News

Published

 on


Pfizer said Wednesday that a booster dose of its COVID-19 vaccine may protect against the new Omicron variant even though the initial two doses appear significantly less effective.

Pfizer and its partner BioNTech said lab tests showed a booster dose increased by 25-fold the level of so-called neutralizing antibodies against omicron.

Pfizer announced the preliminary laboratory data in a press release and it hasn’t yet undergone scientific review. The companies already are working to create an omicron-specific vaccine in case it’s needed.

Scientists have speculated that the high jump in antibodies that comes with a third dose of COVID-19 vaccines might be enough to counter any decrease in effectiveness.

Antibody levels predict how well a vaccine may prevent infection with the coronavirus but they are just one layer of the immune system’s defences. Pfizer said two doses of the vaccine may still induce protection against severe disease.

“Although two doses of the vaccine may still offer protection against severe disease caused by the Omicron strain, it’s clear from these preliminary data that protection is maximized with a third dose of our vaccine,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said in a statement.

——

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Ontario COVID-19 science advisor recommends tighter restrictions in Thunder Bay – Tbnewswatch.com

Published

 on


THUNDER BAY — A leading Ontario epidemiologist believes the Thunder Bay District Health Unit should take measures immediately to mitigate the further spread of COVID-19.

“The trajectory is in the wrong direction. At this rate, they will start to be challenged” with managing the situation, says Dr. Peter Juni.

Juni is the scientific director of the province’s COVID-19 science advisory table.

The COVID-19 caseload has been rising steadily in the Thunder Bay area since mid-November, including cases at numerous schools.

The 54 new cases reported on Monday was the largest number of new cases reported since March 17, 2021.

It brought the active case count to 137, including some cases of the new Omicron variant.

The risk for TBDHU, Juni said, is that “You can’t just get contact tracing, testing and management done as efficiently as before….Omicron pops up now, and you potentially have a problem.”

He said although the challenges presented by the new variant aren’t fully known yet, it needs to be taken very seriously.

It’s why, Juni said, he recommends swift action to slow the spread of the Delta variant while simultaneously preventing Omicron from becoming dominant.

“If I were in the shoes of the local public health unit, and the medical officer of health, I would really follow the same sort of decision-making that Windsor-Essex has just had,” he told TBNewswatch on Monday.

The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit announced Sunday that it is introducing new measures that go beyond current provincial regulations.

In its service area, where the rate of COVID-19 infections is starting to put a strain on local hospitals, the following restrictions will take effect on Dec. 10:

  • social gatherings limited to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors
  • added measures for wedding receptions and for social events tied to funerals and religious services
  • limiting indoor capacity for bars and restaurants to 50 % of their usual occupancy limit
  • strict adherence to face-covering requirements in all public settings

“The virus loves indoor spaces. It hasn’t changed for Delta and it won’t change for Omicron either,” Dr. Juni said.

He said it’s also essential that people “don’t cut corners with masking.”

At sports venues specifically, he said, he would seriously consider disallowing the consumption of food and drink in order to keep masks in place.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Pandemic expert group to issue recommendations on COVID-19 rapid tests in Ontario – CTV News Toronto

Published

 on


TORONTO —
Science experts advising Ontario on the pandemic are set to release new recommendations on rapid testing, with one of the group’s leaders saying it makes sense to use the tests more often.

Dr. Peter Juni, the scientific director of Ontario’s COVID-19 Science Advisory Table, said the group plans to publish a science brief on the issue Wednesday. The group’s communications director later said it would be published in the coming days.

There have been growing calls for the tests to be made more widely available as COVID-19 cases rise. While it’s still unclear how they perform with the new Omicron variant, Juni said they are effective with the Delta variant that accounts for the bulk of Ontario’s cases.

“It makes sense from a scientific perspective to use rapid tests more frequently, for example, schools, in workplaces, in congregate settings, and to make rapid tests more available in this province,” Juni said in an interview.

Opposition legislators have been calling for the province to distribute rapid tests more broadly, particularly in schools.

Rapid tests are currently offered for free to businesses, and also sold in some pharmacies for asymptomatic people who have not been in contact with a confirmed case.

They have also been distributed in schools in areas of high transmission for students with COVID-19 symptoms or considered a close contact of a confirmed case. The government has also said it plans to send all students home with five rapid tests over the December holidays.

But aside from that holiday plan, rapid tests have not been made available to all students, though families across the province have sought access to them.

Health Minister Christine Elliott said Tuesday that Ontarians have access to some form of COVID-19 testing for free in most cases.

“The only time we’re really asking people to pay for tests is if they need it for purposes of travel, which I think is fair,” she said.

Ontario offers free PCR testing to those with COVID-19 symptoms, close contacts of a case and members of certain groups. Those tests are available at assessment centres and pharmacies, among other locations, and the province says most results are ready in 48 hours.

Results from most rapid tests are available in about 15 minutes, according to the province.

A spokeswoman for the minister said the province currently has 5.75 million rapid antigen tests in its inventory, and as of Nov. 29, has handed out 33.35 million.

Ontario has been distributing about a million tests each week and is ramping up during the holiday period, Alexandra Hilkene said. That includes 11 million tests earmarked for public and First Nation schools and tests that will be sent to pop-up sites in higher-risk areas, she said.

Ontario’s top doctor, Dr. Kieran Moore, said the province is working with the federal government to broaden its testing strategy, and expects to make an announcement on the increased availability of tests in the coming weeks.

Liberal Leader John Fraser said more rapid tests should be handed out, particularly in the winter months, which have typically seen infections rise.

“I’m still bewildered as to why millions and millions of rapid tests are sitting in warehouses unused, undistributed, when jurisdictions across the world who use rapid tests, they’re giving them to families, they’re giving them to people at airports,” he said. “It’s just another tool to protect us.”

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said Monday the tests should be free for everyone.

“Nobody should have to pay for a rapid test. That should be part of our public health-care system,” she said.

— with files from Maan Alhmidi.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 7, 2021.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending