Connect with us

Science

Back-to-back launch scrubs frustrate Musk

Published

 on

WASHINGTON — Back-to-back last-second launch scrubs by two SpaceX Falcon 9 rockets 36 hours apart led Elon Musk to vow to undertake a “broad review” of launch operations in Florida in order to increase its launch rate.

The launch of a Falcon 9 carrying a GPS 3 satellite was scrubbed just two seconds before liftoff on the evening of Oct. 2 at Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The company didn’t disclose the cause of the scrub during its webcast, but Musk later tweeted that the countdown stopped because of an “unexpected pressure rise in the turbomachinery gas generator.”

A day and a half earlier, the launch of another Falcon 9 carrying a set of Starlink satellites was stopped 18 seconds before liftoff at Launch Complex 39A at the Kennedy Space Center. The company said an “out-of-family ground sensor reading” prompted that abort. That launch has been rescheduled for the morning of Oct. 5, while SpaceX has not yet rescheduled the GPS 3 satellite launch.

The two scrubs clearly frustrated Musk. “We will need to make a lot of improvements to have a chance of completing 48 launches next year!” he wrote in a series of tweets a few hours after the second launch scrub.

He said the company would review all aspects of its operations to address those problems. “We’re doing a broad review of launch site, propulsion, structures, avionics, range & regulatory constraints this weekend,” he wrote. “I will also be at the Cape next week to review hardware in person.”

SpaceX hadn’t previously disclosed a goal of 48 launches a year in 2021, which would be roughly double the target set for this year. “You can probably look forward to two or so launches a month from us,” said Gwynne Shotwell, president of SpaceX, during a panel discussion at the Satellite 2020 conference in March. That total included both launches it performed for government and commercial customers as well as those for the company itself carrying Starlink satellites.

Forty-eight launches a year was also the target set several years ago by the U.S. Air Force for all users of the Eastern Range. That goal, dubbed “Drive to 48,” was intended to allow one launch a week as well as a pair of two-week maintenance periods.

“We continue to keep trying to increase our capacity,” said Maj. Gen. DeAnna M. Burt, director of operations and communications for the U.S. Space Force, at a Sept. 14 meeting of the Federal Aviation Administration’s Commercial Space Transportation Advisory Committee. That means moving away from what she called “old legacy systems” currently used for range operations to new approaches.

One such new approach is autonomous flight safety systems (AFSS) on vehicles that eliminate the need for many tracking and communications systems. SpaceX has implemented AFSS on its rockets, which has allowed it to schedule launches close together. On Aug. 30, SpaceX was prepared to perform two Falcon 9 launches the same day, one from each pad, although weather postponed one of the launches.

“Users like SpaceX have been leading the way on AFSS,” Burt said. All range users have to move to AFSS by October 2025 “or they need to find a way to fund the legacy range capabilities that will remain on the range if they require them.”

Earlier this year, SpaceX hinted at plans for a far higher launch rate from Florida. An environmental assessment published by the FAA in February projected the company performing up to 70 launches a year by 2023 from its two Florida launch sites. That included 10 Falcon Heavy launches.

Shotwell, though, asked about those figures at Satellite 2020, suggested that was an upper bound and not a forecast of actual launch activity. “We don’t have 10 Falcon Heavy missions to fly every year,” she said, noting the company picked a high number to encompass all possibilities for the environmental review. “We want to make sure we’re not cutting ourselves short.”

She hesitated to make predictions on launch rates in general, including for this year. “I don’t want to make predictions on how many launches we’re going to do this year, customer versus Starlink, because I’m always wrong,” she said. “But we’re busy.” SpaceX, though the first nine months of 2020, has completed 16 launches.

 

Source: – SpaceNews

Source link

Continue Reading

Science

COVID-19: Okanagan resort closes temporarily after staffer tests positive – Revelstoke Review

Published

 on


Sparkling Hill Resort is closing for 11 days Friday after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19.

The popular tourist destination said its immediate closure effective Friday, Oct. 30, is a proactive and precautionary measure.

“Due to the extensive COVID-19 plan in place at the resort, Interior Health confirmed there is no concern for any guests that stayed recently,” the resort said in a statement.

The individual contracted the novel coronavirus outside the resort and immediately self-isolated. Any other staff members who were in close contact with the affected member of staff have been identified and contacted by the regional health agency with information and advice.

The resort will resume operations Monday, Nov. 9.

Any guests who have upcoming reservations will be contacted and provided with options.

“The health and safety of our staff, guests and community are a top priority,” the statement reads. “While the closure is not required by Interior Health, the immediate actions are taken to ensure there is no further spread of the virus.”

In September, the resort was notified a guest that had recently visited had tested positive for COVID-19 (Sept. 3).

READ MORE: COVID-19 case confirmed at Vernon’s Sparkling Hill Resort

READ MORE: Hunters free themselves from rollover on Westside


@caitleerach
Caitlin.clow@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Science

COVID-19: Okanagan resort closes temporarily after staffer tests positive – Summerland Review

Published

 on


Sparkling Hill Resort is closing for 11 days Friday after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19.

The popular tourist destination said its immediate closure effective Friday, Oct. 30, is a proactive and precautionary measure.

“Due to the extensive COVID-19 plan in place at the resort, Interior Health confirmed there is no concern for any guests that stayed recently,” the resort said in a statement.

The individual contracted the novel coronavirus outside the resort and immediately self-isolated. Any other staff members who were in close contact with the affected member of staff have been identified and contacted by the regional health agency with information and advice.

The resort will resume operations Monday, Nov. 9.

Any guests who have upcoming reservations will be contacted and provided with options.

“The health and safety of our staff, guests and community are a top priority,” the statement reads. “While the closure is not required by Interior Health, the immediate actions are taken to ensure there is no further spread of the virus.”

In September, the resort was notified a guest that had recently visited had tested positive for COVID-19 (Sept. 3).

READ MORE: COVID-19 case confirmed at Vernon’s Sparkling Hill Resort

READ MORE: Hunters free themselves from rollover on Westside


@caitleerach
Caitlin.clow@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Science

Well-known Okanagan resort voluntarily closes following positive COVID-19 test – Global News

Published

 on


One of the Okanagan’s better-known resorts has temporarily closed its doors following a positive COVID-19 test.

In a statement issued Friday, Sparkling Hill Resort in Vernon said it was closing for 11 days following a positive test by a staff member.

The closure was effective immediately, Friday, Oct. 30, and was being called a “proactive and precautionary measure” for the continued safety of its guests, staff and vendors.

Read more:
B.C. adds 272 new COVID-19 cases, grants powers for region-specific health orders

“The precaution comes as a result of Interior Health informing the resort on Oct. 30 of a confirmed case of COVID-19 with one staff member,” the resort said.

According to the resort, the staff member contracted COVID-19 outside of the resort and started self-isolating immediately.

Story continues below advertisement

It added that “due to the extensive COVID-19 plan in place at the resort, Interior Health confirmed there is no concern for any guests that stayed recently.”


Click to play video 'Regional orders a ‘possibility’ amid surge in B.C. coronavirus cases'



4:49
Regional orders a ‘possibility’ amid surge in B.C. coronavirus cases


Regional orders a ‘possibility’ amid surge in B.C. coronavirus cases

The resort also said staff members who had been in close contact with the affected staff member have been identified and contacted by Interior Health.

The resort expects to resume operations on Monday, Nov. 9, adding that the closure was voluntary and not required by Interior Health.

Contacted by Global News, Interior Health said that it has not ordered any businesses to close, adding they may choose to close on their own.


Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Toronto businesses say provincial data proves they were unfairly targeted'



2:00
Coronavirus: Toronto businesses say provincial data proves they were unfairly targeted


Coronavirus: Toronto businesses say provincial data proves they were unfairly targeted

Advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending