Bauer, one of the leading manufacturers of hockey equipment, has begun making face shields for medical workers treating patients with the coronavirus.
“We’re just so fortunate to have such a talented employee base that’s also really passionate,” Mary-Kay Messier, Bauer vice president of global marketing, said Wednesday. “Protecting athletes has been in our DNA, part of our heritage, since 1927. This is an opportunity to shift gears. This is a time that none of us has ever experienced before. You think about hockey being team first and then you also think about the greater community and how connected we are, I think this felt similar in that we needed to unite in this most uncertain time and [have] everybody pick up an oar and start rowing.”
She said Bauer went from the initial brainstorming session to developing early prototypes in about four days.
“They do have the capacity to ramp up (very quickly),” said Messier, the sister of Hockey Hall of Famer Mark Messier.
“I wouldn’t say it’s easy, but it’s doable, and when you have people that are really passionate and talented, you make it happen.”
The protective shields are being made at Bauer’s research and development facility in Blainville, Quebec, and its facility in Liverpool, New York, which primarily produces Bauer’s lacrosse gear.
The first shipments will go to doctors and nurses in Canada, with future distribution planned for the United States.
“We have some contacts, through our own personal relationships,” Messier said, “but we’ve also had people reaching out to get the medical shields, and that’s what we’re working on right now, what’s the best plan to distribute and how do we get these medical shields in the hands of the people who need them as quickly as possible.”
The shields are made from some of the same components that go into helmet visors, and each costs about $3 to make, including shipping.
“We’re not expecting to make any profit on this,” Messier said. “The intention would be to get our costs covered because this is a challenging time for all companies. One of the benefits also is to be able to have some of our people in the manufacturing plants be able to work.”
Supply-line changes and maintaining proper safe working conditions have been worthwhile challenges, Messier said.
“We know these medical shields and other devices are in short supply,” Messier said. “We’ve heard different folks say, how can companies get on board and help in these efforts? We’re just really fortunate to be able to be in a position to do that and have the people that are really passionate willing and committed to making the change and doing everything they can to make a difference.”
Tokyo Olympics CEO hints Games could be in doubt even in 2021 – CBC.ca
As the coronavirus spreads in Japan, the chief executive of the Tokyo Games said Friday he can’t guarantee the postponed Olympics will be staged next year — even with the long delay.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe issued an emergency declaration this week to battle the virus, putting the country under restrictions after it seemed it had avoided a significant outbreak.
“I don’t think anyone would be able to say if it is going to be possible to get it under control by next July or not,” Tokyo organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said, speaking through an interpreter at a news conference conducted remotely. “We’re certainly are not in a position to give you a clear answer.”
The Olympics were postponed last month with a new opening set for July 23, 2021, followed by the Paralympics on Aug. 24.
WATCH | Damian Warner on bright side of Olympic postponement:
Abe has been criticized for being slow to act against the coronavirus. Opposition political leaders have suggested he downplayed the severity of the virus and have said it may have been tied to wanting to hold the Olympics this year.
“We have made the decision to postpone the Games by one year,” Muto said. “So this means that all we can do is work hard to prepare for the Games. We sincerely hope that come next year mankind will manage to overcome the coronavirus crisis.”
Muto was asked if there are alternative plans to holding the Games in 2021.
“Rather than think about alternatives plans, we should put in all of our effort,” he said. “Mankind should bring together all of its technology and wisdom to work hard so they can develop treatments, medicines and vaccines.”
WATCH | Flashback to Andre De Grasse’s 2016 showdown with Usain Bolt:
Japan has reported about 5,000 cases and 100 deaths. The country has the world’s oldest population, and COVID-19 can be especially serious for the elderly.
Muto was asked several times about the added costs of postponing, which has been estimated by Japanese media at between $2 billion and $6 billion US. He said it was too soon to know the price tag and who would pay.
He also acknowledged that Tokyo Olympic organizers had taken out insurance.
“Tokyo 2020 has taken out several insurance policies,” he said. “But whether the postponement of the Games qualifies as an event that is covered is not clear yet.”
WATCH | Simone Biles cried after learning of Olympic postponement:
He was also asked about the Olympic flame, which was taken off public display this week in Fukushima prefecture. Muto had an away-from-the-microphone talk with a spokesperson before talking about the flame.
“After the Olympic torch relay was cancelled, the Olympic flame was put under the management of Tokyo 2020,” Muto said. “Obviously in the future there is a possibility it might be put on display somewhere. However, for now it is under the management of Tokyo 2020 and I’m not going to make any further comment on the issue.”
There are suggestions the International Olympic Committee is thinking of taking the flame on a world tour, hoping to use it as a symbol of the battle against the virus. However, any tour would be impossible until travel restrictions are lifted.
Taking the flame away from Japan could also upset the hosts.
Report: MLB considering divisional realignment for 2020 season – Sportsnet.ca
In anticipation of an abbreviated 2020 season, one of many proposals MLB is reportedly considering is a major realignment that would eliminate the traditional American and National Leagues, according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale.
“The plan would have all 30 teams returning to their spring training sites in Florida and Arizona,” Nightengale writes, “playing regular-season games only in those two states and without fans in an effort to reduce travel and minimize risks in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. The divisions would be realigned based on the geography of their spring training homes.”
The clubs would first be allowed three weeks of training, adds Nightengale, including exhibition games, before opening a regular season in divisions that could look like so:
NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.
NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics.
WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.
The most significant change for the Blue Jays would be to a move out of the AL East, along with the Yankees, to play against their Grapefruit league opponents, which could mean an easier path to the playoffs for Toronto.
Nightengale elaborated on how the post-season format could potentially look under such a format.
“Baseball, even with the realignment, could still play 12 games apiece against their new divisional opponents and six games apiece against the other teams in the state. … The DH would likely be universally implemented as well. There could still be division winners and wild-card winners, perhaps adding two more wild-card teams to each league, or a postseason tournament with all 30 teams,” he wrote.
“The winner of the Cactus League in Arizona would play the winner of the Grapefruit League in Florida for the World Series championship, utilizing the domed stadiums in late November.”
No official decision has yet been made on when the league will return, or what exactly that return will look like.
Joe Rogan gushes for ‘psychotic’ Dana White following UFC 249 cancelation — ‘He’s a real man’ – MMA Mania
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White was not going to let a silly little thing like a global pandemic stop him from staging mixed martial arts (MMA) events, even if it meant taking his promotion to west coast tribal grounds or remote tropical islands to bypass local and federal quarantines.
So was he a hero … or an idiot?
That depends on who you ask. For longtime color commentator Joe Rogan, still on the fence about attending when word came in that UFC 249 was canceled, White is a “real man” who deserves praise for his dogged persistence in trying to make the “Ferguson vs. Gaethje” pay-per-view (PPV) event a reality.
“He’s a psychotic driving force for the most exciting organization in the world and I don’t think the organization gets where it is without Dana White,” Rogan said on his official podcast. “I think you have to have a crazy person at the wheel. You have a guy who doesn’t give a fuck. He’s a real man. He doesn’t give a fuck, he’ll talk shit, he’ll insult people, he’ll go back with you.”
White helped convince casino magnates Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta to purchase UFC back in 2001 for a paltry $2 million — which they later sold for $4 billion — and no question his drive and longterm vision helped shape the future of combat sports. The promotion would be nothing without the fighters, obviously, and White had a couple of big breaks along the way, but his contributions to MMA cannot be overstated.
“Imagine being the president of the UFC,” Rogan continued. “Imagine having all these fights that you have to make and having all this pressure on you, and you’re also a famous guy like Dana is. Imagine being that guy. Fuck that job. President of the UFC is second only to President of the United States. Bro, he’s under ridiculous amounts of pressure.”
White is also on the hook for the $750 million check from ESPN and parent company Disney, which requires 42 live events in 2020 to cash. Expect a very busy fight schedule once the promotion gets up and running later this year, though we’re at the mercy of coronavirus as far as that timeline is concerned.
Animal Crossing removed from Chinese stores after Hong Kong protests: report – Polygon
'Dynamic' physical distancing could help balance COVID-19 fight, economy: study – northeastNOW
Celebrate Yuri's Night 2020 online with Bill Nye, astronauts and more this weekend! – Space.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Popular Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours after man collapses outside restaurant – Vancouver Is Awesome
Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver reports January housing sales up 42.4 percent
- Media20 hours ago
French ruling against Google on paying media for content prompts call for Canada to follow suit – TheChronicleHerald.ca
- Media10 hours ago
French ruling against Google on paying media for content prompts call for Canada to follow suit – The Telegram
- Science20 hours ago
Massive, deep-sea ‘entity’ leaves ocean scientists ‘blown away’ – Global News
- Economy16 hours ago
Quebec preparing plan to reopen economy, as infection rate stabilizes – The Globe and Mail
- Media16 hours ago
COVID-19: Bell Media cuts hours of some staff, including at TSN 1040 – The Province
- Media12 hours ago
French ruling against Google on paying media for content prompts call for Canada to follow suit – Financial Post
- Sports21 hours ago
NBA's HORSE Challenge Airing Sunday, April 12th, Finals On April 16th – RealGM.com
- Tech21 hours ago
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Has Long Physical Install Time On Disc – GameSpot