Connect with us

Media

Bell Media President Randy Lennox departing in 2021, Bell Group President Wade Oosterman to lead Bell Media forward – Canada NewsWire

Published

 on


MONTRÉAL, Oct. 19, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ – BCE Inc. (TSX: BCE) (NYSE: BCE) today announced that Bell Group President and Vice Chair Wade Oosterman will assume operational leadership of Bell Media in 2021 following the departure of Bell Media President Randy Lennox on January 4.

“On behalf of everyone at Bell, I would like to thank Randy for his leadership at Bell Media and his support of a smooth leadership transition in 2021,” said Mirko Bibic, President and CEO of BCE and Bell Canada. “A renowned executive in Canadian music and media, Randy joined Bell Media in 2015 and has transformed the company with a focus on content leadership and digital innovation. He reignited Crave and our other digital platforms, accelerated Canadian content creation with strategic investments, including the Noovo network in Québec and Pinewood Studios Toronto, and built exclusive partnerships with top international content brands like HBO Max, Starz and iHeartRadio. In a rapidly evolving media industry, Randy solidified Bell Media’s position as Canada’s #1 multimedia brand.”

“I look forward to working with Wade as he leads the Bell Media team in executing our imperatives to deliver the most compelling content to Canadians across every platform, while operating with agility and cost efficiency in a competitive and fast-changing marketplace,” said Mr. Bibic. “Already guiding overall Media strategy as Group President, Wade is known for building outstanding teams and delivering results across every segment of communications. Having also led our Mobility and Residential Services teams in his 14 years at Bell, Wade is exceptionally well positioned to leverage all of Bell’s assets to accelerate our leadership in media and TV.”

Devorah Lithwick
Mr. Oosterman has also served as Bell’s Chief Brand Officer since he joined the company. As he focuses fully on his role at Media, Bell today announced that Senior Vice President Brand Devorah Lithwick has been appointed SVP & Chief Brand Officer, effective January 2021.

“A seasoned executive with more than 25 years experience in Canadian brand development and marketing communications, Devorah is the ideal choice to become Bell’s next Chief Brand Officer,” said Mr. Bibic. “Joining us in 2006 as VP Brand and promoted to Senior VP in 2017, Devorah has been a critical leader in the transformation of Bell’s brand into one of the most valuable in Canada.”

Randy Lennox
Mr. Lennox joined Bell Media in 2015 as President of Content and Broadcasting and was promoted to Bell Media President in 2017, reporting to Group President Wade Oosterman. Acclaimed for his support of Canadian television and documentary film production, Mr. Lennox serves as Chair of The Banff World Media Festival, as well as on the boards of Music Canada, Canada’s Walk of Fame, Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall, and Ontario’s Culture Strategy Advisory Group.

A member of the Canadian Music and Broadcast Industry Hall of Fame and a Juno Awards recipient, Mr. Lennox was previously President and CEO of Universal Music Canada, where he helped launch the careers of Canadian stars including the Tragically Hip, Justin Bieber, Drake and Shawn Mendes.

Wade Oosterman
Mr. Oosterman joined Bell in 2006 as President of Bell Mobility and Chief Brand Officer, and was promoted to President of Mobility and Residential Services in 2010, to Group President – responsible for strategic direction of Bell’s wireless, residential and media segments – in 2015, and additionally as Bell Vice Chair in 2018. A Canadian communications industry leader for more than 30 years, Mr. Oosterman has served as a senior wireless and brand executive with several publicly traded Canadian communications companies. He holds an MBA from the Ivey School at Western University, and serves on the boards of the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and Telephone & Data Systems.

About Bell
Canada’s largest communications company with more than 22 million consumer and business connections, Bell provides advanced broadband wireless, TV, Internet and business communication services throughout the country. Bell Media is Canada’s premier multimedia company with 35 television stations operated by CTV and Noovo, 29 specialty channels including the TSN and RDS sports networks, the Crave and Noovo.ca digital platforms, 109 radio stations in 58 markets, the country’s leading roster of digital news and entertainment brands, and the Astral out-of-home advertising network. Founded in Montréal in 1880, Bell is wholly owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE). To learn more, please visit Bell.ca or BCE.ca.

The Bell Let’s Talk initiative promotes Canadian mental health with national awareness and anti-stigma campaigns like Bell Let’s Talk Day and significant Bell funding of community care and access, research and workplace leadership initiatives throughout the country. To learn more, please visit Bell.ca/LetsTalk.

Media inquiries:
Scott Henderson
416-384-5305
[email protected] 
@BellMediaPR

Investor inquiries:
Thane Fotopoulos
514-870-4619
[email protected]

SOURCE Bell Canada

Related Links

www.bell.ca

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

Haligonians answer call on social media to show struggling eatery some love – CTV News Atlantic

Published

 on


HALIFAX —
Dozens of people answered the dinner bell Tuesday in support of a struggling Mexican restaurant in Halifax’s north end.

A social media message about the difficulties facing Tako Loko prompted hungry Haligonians to line up down the street for a bite to eat.

On Wednesday, there was some extra prep work taking place in the kitchen at Tako Loko.

“Sold out, everything, so we’re going to do again … everything,” said owner Vicky Ruiz.

The spike in business was the result of one tweet that made the rounds on social media saying the owner is really struggling to keep the lights on and the doors open.

The result was a lineup of people down the street.

“I almost cried, I was happy, very happy because the people support us,” Ruiz said. “We had Uber Eats and we couldn’t take orders from Uber Eats and we couldn’t answer the phone because the line was two blocks here.”

Megan Smith and Nicole Carruthers live in the neighborhood and have been coming for months.

“It’s excellent,” they say.

It was so busy Smith and Carruthers couldn’t even place their usual order.

“I tried calling before five and they couldn’t take my order because they were that busy, it was awesome,” Smith said.

Some who couldn’t show up in person took up a neighbourhood collection and dropped the money off in a card.

The restaurant was scheduled to close at 9 p.m. but they actually ran out of food before that. Ruiz spent this morning at the grocery store, stocking up for tonight.

“It makes you proud of your local community, proud of Halifax and proud of people in the north end,” Carruthers said. “A lot of challenges have come out of this pandemic. It’s really nice to see people come out and supporting each other in a challenging time.”

Ruiz opened in March, just at the beginning of the pandemic. They stuck it out, but as COVID continued, the restaurant, like many others, started to struggle.

Ruiz has no plans to close her kitchen, and after the response yesterday, staying open will be much easier.

“I am a very hard worker and the people depend on this restaurant, they need a job,” Ruiz said.

Ruiz doesn’t know the person who put the post on social media but she has a message for him.

“Thank you, thank you, and free tacos for him,” she said.

He may however have to wait in line.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai denied bail on fraud charge – The Globe and Mail

Published

 on


Jimmy Lai arrives at a court in Hong Kong, on Oct. 15, 2020.

Kin Cheung/The Associated Press

Outspoken Hong Kong pro-democracy advocate and media tycoon Jimmy Lai was refused bail on Thursday on a fraud charge amid a growing crackdown on dissent in the semi-autonomous city.

Jimmy Lai of Next Digital, which publishes the Apple Daily newspaper, was among 10 people arrested Aug. 10 on what police said was suspicion of violating a national security law and collusion with a foreign country.

Lai, 73, was later released on bail but police raided his company’s offices in October and took away documents.

Story continues below advertisement

On Wednesday, Lai and two Next Digital executives were charged with fraud over accusations that they violated lease terms for Next Digital office space.

Lai appeared in court Thursday and was denied bail. His case has been adjourned till April 16.

Hong Kong police said in a statement Wednesday that it had arrested three men on charges of fraud, without naming them. It also said that one of them had been suspected of violating the national security law, and that it was still under investigation.

Beijing imposed the national security law in response to protests in Hong Kong that began in June 2019 over a proposed extradition law and expanded to include demands for greater democracy in the former British colony.

The sweeping legislation prompted more public protests and led to complaints that Beijing is violating the autonomy promised to Hong Kong when it returned to China and damaging its status as a business centre.

Apple Daily criticized the law on its front page on July 1, calling it the “final nail in the coffin” of the territory’s autonomy.

The British government had slammed Lai’s August arrest and said the security law was being used to crush dissent.

Story continues below advertisement

The law is “being implemented in a way that undermines freedom of speech,” the British government said in a report this month on the status of the 1984 agreement for Hong Kong’s return to China.

“It is imperative that this freedom is fully respected,” the report said.

Lai was earlier arrested in February and April on charges of taking part in unauthorized protests. He also faces charges of joining an unauthorized vigil marking the anniversary of the June 4, 1989, crackdown on pro-democracy protests in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

South Korea reaches deal to buy AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine candidate: media – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

 on


By Hyonhee Shin

SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea has reached a deal with AstraZeneca PLC to purchase its coronavirus vaccine candidate as it seeks to secure supplies amid a resurgence of outbreaks, local media reported on Thursday.

The government has said it was in final talks with global drugmakers including AstraZeneca, Pfizer Inc and Johnson & Johnson over their experimental vaccines, and launched a preliminary review of AstraZeneca’s product in October for potential fast-track approval.

The JoongAng Ilbo newspaper said health authorities signed a contract with the Britain-based company on Nov. 27, and were nearing agreements with Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, citing an unidentified government official.

“The AstraZeneca deal has been done, and a memorandum of understanding was reached with both Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson. But further negotiations are needed to finalise the amount of supplies and the timing of shipment,” the official was quoted as saying.

The Yonhap news agency also reported, citing an unnamed health official, that an agreement with AstraZeneca was inked recently and the government would make an announcement as early as next week after completing negotiations with other firms.

The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said that the JoongAng report was not the government’s official position but that it would finalise talks and unveil comprehensive results shortly.

The KDCA has said 172 billion won ($157 million) was set aside to buy an initial 60 million doses this year, enough to vaccinate about 60% of the country’s population of 52 million, around the second quarter of 2021.

It has secured 20 million doses via the COVAX facility, an international COVID-19 vaccine allocation platform co-led by the WHO.

($1 = 1,097.0800 won)

(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending