VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — A second day of service disruption for Bell customers is affecting local police departments and taxing province’s 911 operators.
“Right now we can receive 911 calls from Bell customers but our concern is if–for whatever reason–that call becomes disconnected we have no way of calling them back and connecting with them because of the outage that is happening province-wide,” says Jasmine Bradley with E-Comm 911.
Bradley says people making 911 calls should use a cell phone with service form another provider, or a landline.
She also urges people to be patient while some non-emergency numbers at local police departments are out of service. Metro Vancouver Transit Police, Burnaby RCMP and Delta Police all reported issues with their phone lines Sunday.
“One of our concerns with the outage is that callers are phoning 911 to report non-emergency calls because those calls to the 10-digit non-emergency line for police agencies aren’t able to get through. We just really want to make sure that people understand we can’t take non-emergency reports over the 911 line. These lifelines need to be kept for real emergencies where first responders are required to help people right away,” she explains, adding non-emergency calls can be postponed or placed via landline.
#Bell BC network outage ongoing.Calls to 911 from all carriers & landlines working. Calls to non- emerg lines impacted in some areas. Pls do not call 911 unless emergency. Follow @Bell_Support for updates. Reminder: If you call 911 by mistake, don’t hang up. Stay on line. #911BC
— E-Comm 9-1-1 (@EComm911_info) February 2, 2020
Bell posted a statement to Twitter Sunday saying the outage–which began Saturday afternoon–was called by a landslide near Boston Bar which knocked out a third-party fibre line.
1/2 Damage to a third-party’s fibre line near North Bend yesterday afternoon has impacted calling for some Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile customers in BC. Mobile data, text messaging and calls to 911 are not affected. However, some customers may be experiencing disruptions…
— Bell Support (@Bell_Support) February 2, 2020
2/2 with making or receiving calls from landline numbers or customers of other wireless providers. Our crews continue to work with other carriers to restore full services as soon as possible.
— Bell Support (@Bell_Support) February 2, 2020
Lower Mainland municipalities including Delta, Abbotsford, New Westminster and Port Coquitlam reported problems making and receiving calls on city phones Saturday
The City of Vancouver reported similar issues Sunday.
Major disruption to cell phone services are causing phone issues at city facilities and services. If you are trying to get in touch : try using VanConnect app, or try another cellphone service or landline to call 311. Another update this afternoon.
— City of Vancouver (@CityofVancouver) February 2, 2020
There is not estimate from Bell for when service will resume.
BMW Design Chief Defends New 4-Series’ Grille, Says It’ll Shape The Brand – CarScoops
The new BMW 4-Series Coupe was officially presented on Tuesday and one of the main topics of conversation was the polarizing vertical kidney grille. Like it or not, this feature is here to stay, and it’s part of the company’s strategic move to make each and every model stand out.
Defending the massive kidney grille was design chief Domagoj Dukec, who strongly believes that the automaker has taken the right decision to go ahead with this design, despite receiving a lot of negative input ever since they presented the Concept 4 last year.
“It should be in the core of BMW to have a product which makes a strong statement. It’s unmistakably BMW, unmistakably 4-Series. It’s not just logical, it has a very strong character that’s unique to our brand”, Dukec told Autocar. “The twin-kidney grille is the most prominent design icon we have. It’s the biggest difference we have from any other car out there. We’ve used the kidney in a variety of ways to give our cars a certain presence: the 3-Series has a very horizontal one because it’s a more rational, serious car. A coupe like the 4-Series should express the exotic part of BMW.”
Dukec explained that in this business, it’s important to know which voices to listen to. “You can’t listen to social media reactions. It won’t help you. Design is something that is so emotional, and everybody has an opinion and different states. There’s no right or wrong. When you do something like this, 50 percent of people might love it and 50 percent will hate it, and that won’t change. Anything you do, there will be people who like it and people who don’t – but this is not the criteria.”
So, what are the criteria for design? According to the BMW official, it is “to create something, unique, daring, to make a statement”. “Although it’s polarizing in the beginning, it’s at the heart of BMW and a brand-shaper for us.”
Leading the new 4-Series pack is the Coupe, which will go on sale globally in October, with the Convertible and four-door Gran Coupe to follow. All of them are based on the brand’s CLAR architecture, which translates into a bigger footprint and a more spacious interior.
Until the new M4 arrives, likely within the next six months, the M440i xDrive will sit at the top of the range, with a 369 HP 3.0-liter turbo-six, for a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) time of 4.7 seconds and a top speed limited to 155 mph (250 km/h). U.S. customers will be able to order it for $59,495, while the 430i and 430i xDrive, which pack a 258 HP 2.0-liter four-pot, will launch from $46,595 and $48,595 respectively.
In Europe, the new-gen 4-Series will become available in 420i and 420d specs as well, with their 2.0-liter petrol and diesel engine making 184 and 190 HP respectively, plus the 286 HP 3.0-liter 430d and M440d xDrive 340 HP diesels, which will launch next spring.
Google sued for secretly amassing vast trove of user data – Financial Post
Google surreptitiously amasses billions of bits of information — every day — about internet users even if they opt out of sharing their information, three consumers alleged in a proposed class action lawsuit.
“Google tracks and collects consumer browsing history and other web activity data no matter what safeguards consumers undertake to protect their data privacy,” according to the complaint filed Tuesday in federal court in San Jose, California.
The lawsuit argues that while Google lets users turn off data collection when using its Chrome web browser, other Google tools used by websites themselves scoop up their data anyways. The suit includes claims for invasion of privacy and violations of federal wiretapping law.
Google is up front with consumers that whenever they opt for private browsing, other websites may still collect information, spokesman Jose Castaneda said.
“We strongly dispute these claims and we will defend ourselves vigorously against them,” Castaneda said in an email.
The case was filed by Boies Schiller Flexner LLP, a high-profile litigation firm that previously defended Uber Technologies Inc. when the ride-hailing firm was accused three years ago by Alphabet Inc.’s self-driving unit of stealing trade secrets.
According to the suit, the company collects information, including IP addresses and browsing histories, whenever users visit web pages or use an app tied to common Google services, such as Google Analytics and Google Ad Manager. This has helped Google amass a nearly unending trove of data that could be stolen or hacked by governments and criminals, the consumers allege.
A consumer suit accusing Google of illegally tracking and storing geolocation data with its mobile apps and operating system was thrown out by a California federal judge in December. Arizona’s attorney general filed a similar complaint last month. Google disputed the claim and said it’s looking forward to setting the record straight.
Tuesday’s case is Brown v. Google LLC, 20-3664, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Jose).
$5 Billion Lawsuit Accuses Google of Tracking Chrome Users in Incognito Mode – MacRumors
A proposed class action lawsuit in the U.S. has accused Google of violating federal wiretap laws by tracking the online activities of users when in Incognito mode.
According to Reuters, the class action argues that by surreptitiously collecting information about what people view online and where they browse when they use Chrome’s private browsing mode, Google has been intentionally deceiving customers into believing that they have control over the information they share with the company.
According to the complaint filed in the federal court in San Jose, California, Google gathers data through Google Analytics, Google Ad Manager and other applications and website plug-ins, including smartphone apps, regardless of whether users click on Google-supported ads.
This helps Google learn about users’ friends, hobbies, favorite foods, shopping habits, and even the “most intimate and potentially embarrassing things” they search for online, the complaint said.
Google “cannot continue to engage in the covert and unauthorized data collection from virtually every American with a computer or phone,” the complaint said.
Google has said it will defend itself “vigorously’ against the claims.
“Incognito mode in Chrome gives you the choice to browse the internet without your activity being saved to your browser or device,” said Google spokesperson Jose Castaneda. “As we clearly state each time you open a new incognito tab, websites might be able to collect information about your browsing activity.”
The three plaintiffs argue that the lawsuit likely covers “millions” of Google users who since June 1, 2016 browsed the internet using Incognito mode. The proposed class action therefore seeks $5,000 in damages per user for violations of federal wiretapping and California privacy laws, amounting to at least $5 billion.
Media Alert: ESG Event for Board Directors Featuring CEO of Bank of America and Founder of World Economic Forum Explores Measurement of Stakeholder Capitalism – Financial Post
Sidney Crosby: ‘What happened to George Floyd cannot be ignored’ – Sportsnet.ca
Province announces one new case of COVID-19 Wednesday – HalifaxToday.ca
- Health16 hours ago
New Brunswick reports one new case of COVID-19 at nursing home as tests and calls to 811 spike – CTV News
- Economy21 hours ago
Enbridge to boost tolls on key pipeline based on 2019 economy – BNNBloomberg.ca
- Health21 hours ago
Doctor linked to Campbellton COVID-19 cluster says he made 'an error in judgment' – CBC.ca
- Business19 hours ago
Telus skips Huawei, picks Ericsson and Nokia to build 5G network – Vancouver Sun
- News21 hours ago
Anticipating 'mass vaccinations', Canada ordering millions of syringes – CTV News
- Art22 hours ago
Art Gallery of Alberta offers pre-booked visits as it reopens during COVID-19 pandemic – Globalnews.ca
- Sports15 hours ago
NBA Projects 2020 Finals To Be Completed By October 12th – RealGM.com
- Science23 hours ago
NGen Funding Continues to Support Canada's COVID-19 Response – GlobeNewswire