Connect with us

Sports

Bruins win Presidents' Trophy for 2019-20 season – NHL.com

Published

on


The Boston Bruins won the Presidents’ Trophy, awarded to the team with the best record in the regular season.

The Bruins were 44-14-12 and led the NHL with 100 points when the 2019-20 season was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus.

The NHL in its Return to Play Plan announcement May 26 said there would be no more regular-season games, instead restarting with eight teams in each conference playing a Qualifying Round for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, with a Seeding Round Robin featuring the top four teams in each conference.

The Bruins had five winning streaks of at least four games, including three of at least six games. They had a 13-game point streak (9-0-4) from Nov. 10-Dec. 5 and ended the season with at least one point in 30 of their final 37 games (24-7-6).

It’s the third time the Bruins have won the Presidents’ Trophy since it was first awarded in 1985-86. They did so in 2013-14, when they lost to the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference Second Round, and in 1989-90, when they lost to the Edmonton Oilers in the Stanley Cup Final.

Boston was led by forward David Pastrnak, who tied Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals for the NHL lead with 48 goals and was tied with Artemi Panarin of the New York Rangers for third in the League with 95 points.

Goalies Tuukka Rask (26-8-6, 2.12 goals-against average, .929 save percentage) and Jaroslav Halak (18-6-6, 2.39 GAA, .919 save percentage) combined for eight shutouts and helped the Bruins allow the fewest goals in the NHL (167, 2.39 per game), earning Boston goalies the William M. Jennings Trophy for the third time (Andy Moog and Rejean Lemelin, 1989-90; Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez, 2008-09).

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Dana White: Jon Jones Has Made Enough Money from Fighting to Retire – Sherdog.com

Published

on


Sign up for ESPN+ right here, and you can then stream the UFC live on
your smart TV, computer, phone, tablet or streaming device via the
ESPN app.

If Jon Jones
wants to relinquish the light heavyweight title and walk away from
the sport, that’s his decision, according to Dana White.

The UFC president issued a brief statement to the
Canadian Press
on Monday after Jones tweeted that he planned on
vacating the 205-pound belt. Jones’ threat was the latest salvo in
a
public dispute
regarding negotiations for a potential
superfight with heavyweight Francis
Ngannou
.

Jon
Jones
is one of the greatest to ever do it,” White said. “The
decision he wants to make regarding his career is up to him. The
reality is that he’s made enough money from fighting that he’s now
in the position to retire and never work again in his life.”

White’s statement bears some resemblance to
remarks he made
about Conor
McGregor
after the Irish star earned in the neighborhood of
$100 million to box Floyd
Mayweather
in August 2017.

Money appears to be at the root of the issues between Jones and
White. The UFC boss claimed that “Bones” demanded a Deontay
Wilder
payday — around $25 to $30 million — to fight Ngannou.
Jones responded that he never provided a specific number, only that
he wanted a new deal for the added risk of moving up in weight.
Things have only escalated since then, as Jones wasn’t pleased with
White’s remarks at the UFC on ESPN 9 post-fight press conference
Saturday.

Jones’ attention has been elsewhere more recently. He took to the
streets to
stop vandalism
in Albuquerque, New Mexico, early Monday morning
during the George Floyd protests in the city and then assisted
local businesses
with clean-up and repairs during the day.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Report: Players agree to MLB's radical realignment proposal – theScore

Published

on


Major League Baseball’s owners and players are locked in combative negotiations, but it appears they’re on the same page regarding temporary realignment.

As part of its counteroffer to the league, the players’ union agreed to MLB’s proposal to abandon the traditional American and National Leagues this year in favor of a regionalized three-division format, sources told Michael Silverman of The Boston Globe.

Under the plan, the AL East and NL East would merge into one 10-team division, with each league’s Central and West divisions doing the same, Silverman reports. Clubs would only play against their nine divisional opponents during the regular season in order to cut down on travel.

EastCentralWest
YankeesIndiansAthletics
OriolesRoyalsMariners
RaysTwinsAngels
Red SoxWhite SoxAstros
Blue JaysTigersRangers
BravesBrewersDodgers
NationalsRedsGiants
MarlinsCardinalsRockies
MetsCubsD-Backs
PhilliesPiratesPadres

All games would be played in each team’s regular home ballpark without fans in attendance. It’s unclear what the Toronto Blue Jays would do if Canada’s COVID-19 border restrictions are still intact when the season starts.

It’s also unclear what a playoff format in the realigned league could look like.

The length of the 2020 season remains in question as MLB and the union continue to negotiate. The players’ latest proposal called for prorated salaries over a 114-game season starting June 30 and ending Oct. 31 while including room for doubleheaders, Silverman reports. Owners, who had initially proposed an 82-game campaign, reportedly plan to counter with a shorter schedule of around 50 games along with prorated salaries.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Report: MLB considering 50/60-game proposal – TSN

Published

on


Major League Baseball intends to propose a shorter season to the Major League Baseball Players’ Association in which they would pay players their full prorated salaries according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

Passan said on SportsCenter he expects this proposal to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50 to 60 games. Passan adds the league believes the agreement they reached with the players in March allows the league to mandate a shorter season and is prepared to use that option in the absence of a deal between the two sides.

The MLBPA proposed a 114-game season to the league Sunday night that involved owners paying players their full prorated salaries. Passan and other reported almost immediately that owners were expected to reject the arrangement.

In a prior proposal, the league sent the union an 82-game proposal with a sliding pay scale that saw players who make the most money giving back the largest percentage of their salaries on top of their prorated pay cuts as a result of a shorter season.

Multiple reports indicate the MLB would like to begin its 2020 season — should it be deemed safe to play — at some point in early July. While there has been no hard deadline publicly set for the two sides to reach an agreement, time is ticking since players would likely need to be in camp by mid-June to facilitate an early-July start.

The league believes the agreement originally reached in March did not account for the possibility of playing games without fans, which is now a certainty should the league find a way to start their season in early-July.

Opening Day was originally scheduled to take place on March 26 before the COVID-19 pandemic pushed back the start of the regular season indefinitely.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending