Connect with us

Health

Canada adds 2,330 more coronavirus cases Sunday – Global News

Published

 on


Forty-three more people in Canada have died of the novel coronavirus, officials said Sunday, bringing the country’s death toll to 10,179.

Since the pandemic began, 236,595 people in Canada have tested positive for COVID-19, 2,330 of which were announced by health authorities on Sunday.

So far, 197,729 people have recovered after falling ill and health authorities have conducted more than 11.7 million tests.

Those numbers are incomplete, however, as British Columbia, Alberta, Prince Edward Island and the country’s territories only provide COVID-19 updates on weekdays.

Read more:
Canada is nowhere near herd immunity to the novel coronavirus as second wave surges: Tam

Amid sharply rising case numbers, chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam issued a joint statement with Canada’s chief medical officers of health to outline steps organizations and individuals can take to prevent the spread of the virus.

Story continues below advertisement

While local restrictions vary because the pandemic is playing out differently across the country, “core personal preventive and public health measures” such as physical distancing, mask-wearing and hand-washing are the same everywhere, the statement said.

“Learning to manage and live with COVID-19 is a long road,” the statement said. “We need to adopt prevention strategies that are sustainable in the longer term, and support all factors that influence health.”

According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, 92 per cent of Canada’s deaths and 77 per cent of the country’s cases were reported in Quebec and Ontario.






2:00
Coronavirus: Toronto businesses say provincial data proves they were unfairly targeted


Coronavirus: Toronto businesses say provincial data proves they were unfairly targeted

In Quebec, the country’s viral epicentre, 965 new cases of COVID-19 were reported Sunday, bringing the provincial tally to 106,981. Quebec’s death toll rose to 6,272 after health officials said 26 more people had died.

Story continues below advertisement

Quebec has the most residents currently in hospital out of any province, at 497.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

More than 3.1 million tests had been administered for the virus while 91,488 people residing in the province had recovered after falling ill.

In Ontario, health officials detected 977 new COVID-19 cases for a total of 76,707. They said nine more people in the province had died, moving the number of deaths in the province up to 3,145.

READ MORE: Coming days will be crucial in Ontario’s fight against 2nd wave of COVID-19, expert says

As of Sunday, 65,581 of the province’s confirmed cases were considered resolved. More than 5.1 million tests were conducted — the most of any province.

Saskatchewan health authorities said 1,577 of its 3,218 recorded infections were linked to community contact or mass gatherings, as the province confirmed 74 new cases on Sunday. Hospitalizations in that province are at a record high.

So far, 25 people in the province have died from COVID-19, while 2,395 have recovered. More than 265,803 tests have been administered for the virus.


Click to play video 'Doctors Manitoba on health care system strain'



3:47
Doctors Manitoba on health care system strain


Doctors Manitoba on health care system strain

Manitoba’s death toll rose to 75 after provincial health officials said eight more people had died from COVID-19. To date, 6,034 people have been diagnosed with the virus within the province, while 259,752 have been tested and 2,704 have recovered after falling ill.

Story continues below advertisement

Winnipeg’s intensive care units have been close to capacity for at least a week and doctors around the city pleaded with the provincial government to move Manitoba to a full lockdown to flatten the curve of COVID-19 and protect the health-care system.

“I consider this a grave situation,” said Dr. Kelly MacDonald.

In Nova Scotia, health authorities urged residents to reconsider travel outside of the Atlantic provinces on Sunday as two new cases were reported.

Read more:
Quebec reports 965 new COVID-19 cases, 26 new deaths

“These new cases show that with the second COVID-19 wave happening, travel outside the Atlantic Bubble is more risky,” Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health, said Saturday in a news release.

New Brunswick added one case Sunday as well, while Newfoundland and Labrador’s active case total remained at three.

—With files from Brittany Greenslade and Kerri Breen, Global News

Advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Winnipeggers in 30s, 40s among new COVID-19 deaths in Manitoba – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A Winnipeg man in his 30s and a Winnipeg woman in her 40s are among 11 new COVID-19 deaths in Manitoba, health officials say.

Manitoba hit a new record high for COVID-19 hospitalizations with 342 people in hospital on Monday, as the province added 343 new cases to its total. There are 43 positive patients in intensive care units, down one from Sunday.

Seven of the deaths are connected to outbreaks at long-term care homes, including a man and a woman in their 80s at Fairview Personal Care Home.

The deaths also include a woman in her 70s linked to the outbreak in the GA3 unit at Health Sciences Centre, a man in his 80s linked to the Villa Youville personal care home, a man in his 80s linked to the Charleswood Care Centre, a man in his 80s linked to Golden Links Lodge, a woman in her 90s linked to St. Norbert Personal Care Home, a man in his 90s linked to the Bridgepark Manor assisted living facility, and a Winnipeg woman in her 90s.

Manitoba’s test-positivity rate is 13.4 per cent, a slight increase of 0.1 percentage points from Sunday but still lower than at any other point last week.

Outbreaks at the Women’s Correctional Centre in Headingley and the Keeyask Generating Station near Thompson have been declared over. 

New outbreaks have been declared at the Lakeshore General Hospital in Ashern and West Park Manor Personal Care Home in Winnipeg.

The Winnipeg health region produced the majority of new cases, with 207 confirmed infections, while the Southern Health region had the second most, with 53. The rest of the cases were in the Northern Health region (46), Interlake-Eastern health region (23) and Prairie Mountain Health region (14).

Manitoba has now had 16,825 confirmed coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic, with 9,260 reported as still active, although that number is likely inflated due to a backlog in clearing recovered cases.

A boy under 10 is the youngest person to die of COVID-19 in Manitoba, health officials announced on Saturday.

Two Manitoba churches, Church of God and Springs Church, held drive-in services on the weekend, in violation of public health orders capping gatherings at five people and ordering religious services to move online.

Winnipeg School Division teachers will walk thousands of students through an in-class exercise on Tuesday that’s meant to simulate what it could be like if the entire school system is suddenly forced to learn remotely.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

57 cases of COVID-19, one death reported in Niagara after the weekend – ThoroldNews.com

Published

 on


The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Niagara increased by 57 over the weekend, counting Monday’s numbers, but without making a significant impact on the number of active cases across the region, which right now sits at 204.

The daily breakdown:

Saturday: 18

Sunday: 25

Monday: 14

The region said Monday’s number is not complete, as the reporting had left some cases out, and cautions that Tuesday’s numbers therefore might look higher.

NRPH also reports one new COVID-19-related death on Monday, bringing the region’ss death toll to 84.

One outbreak in a health-care facility was also declared over.

There are 7 active outbreaks in long-term care facilities and 11 other outbreaks.

Ontario update:

Public Health Ontario has confirmed 1,746 new cases of COVID-19 today, which is 38 fewer than yesterday. There were more than 1,700 cases reported on both Saturday and Sunday.

Of today’s new cases, most are confined to the Greater Toronto Area. There are 390 new cases confirmed in Peel Region, 622 cases in Toronto and 217 in York Region; that represents 1,229 — or 70 per cent — of the new lab-confirmed cases reported over the past 24 hours.

The agency also reported eight more deaths related to the coronavirus over the past 24 hours. Yesterday, 24 deaths were reported.

More than 1,320 cases have been resolved since yesterday. 

Over the past 24 hours, 39,406 tests were completed, which is about 14,600 fewer than the record number of tests processed Friday.

According to today’s data, the positivity rate is 4.4 per cent; that means 4.4 people out of every 100 people tested have the coronavirus.

Since the start of the pandemic, public health labs in Ontario have processed more than 6.2 million COVID-19 tests.

Throughout Ontario, there are 618 people currently hospitalized with the coronavirus, but the agency notes that a number of hospitals (approximately 40) did not submit data for Nov. 28.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario logs more than 1700 new cases of COVID-19 as positivity rate inches higher – CTV Toronto

Published

 on


TORONTO —
Ontario is reporting more than 1,700 new COVID-19 infections Monday morning as the province’s positivity rate inches closer to five per cent.

Health officials added 1,746 cases, which is up slightly from the 1,708 infections added a day earlier.

With 39,406 tests completed in the last 24 hours the province’s COVID-19 positivity rate stands at 4.6 per cent, the highest it’s been since last Wednesday. The number of tests processed is down considerably from the province’s daily testing goal of 50,000 which it exceeded for three straight days prior. 

Monday’s report brings the total number of COVID-19 infections in Ontario to 116,492, including deaths and recoveries.

Eight more deaths were recorded in the previous day pushing the province’s COVID-19 death toll to 3,656.

As well, 1,320 cases are now considered to be resolved by the ministry of health. At least 98,639 people who contracted COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic have since recovered.

Most of the cases added Monday were found in people between the ages of 20 and 39. Those 645 lab-confirmed infections push the case total for that age group to 42,460, the most in the province.

Another 526 cases were reported in people between the ages of 40 and 59 while 234 cases were logged in people 19 years of age and younger.

At least 233 cases were documented in people between the ages of 60 and 79 and 106 cases were found in those 80 years of age and older.  

Toronto reports record number of cases, Windsor-Essex moves to ‘red zone’

A record 622 cases were reported in Toronto , one of two areas currently observing the lockdown measures of the province’s COVID-19 framework.

Peel Region is also under lockdown and reported 390 new cases.

York and Durham regions both reported new case numbers in the triple digits and are currently in the province’s “red zone,” which places a cap on indoor gatherings and non-essential activities.

The City of Hamilton, Halton and Waterloo are also observing the same restrictions and all reported new case numbers in the double digits.

Windsor-Essex reporter 38 new cases and moved into the “red zone” earlier this morning.

There are currently 618 patients in Ontario hospitals with COVID-19. Of those, 168 are being treated in an intensive care unit and 108 are on a ventilator.

Some 39,000 COVID-19 tests remain under investigation.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending