Connect with us

Health

Canada adds 267 coronavirus cases on Sunday

Published

on

As the number of coronavirus cases worldwide surpassed 25 million on Sunday, Canada’s total grew by 267 cases.

The number of COVID-19 fatalities rose by four.

The coronavirus pandemic has claimed 5,117 lives in Canada overall, and 127,870 cases have been diagnosed, according to figures released by provincial and territorial governments.

The vast majority of people diagnosed  — about 89 per cent — have recovered from the viral illness.

More than 6.3 million tests have been conducted since late January.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said that in the last week just 0.7 per cent of tests administered across the country were positive — roughly one COVID-19 case for every 140 people tested.

 

But Tam also highlighted a dramatic uptick in cases among young people in recent weeks — nearly 50 per cent of those diagnosed were between 20 and 39.

“There is a very real possibility of the virus reaching higher risk individuals, populations and settings,” she said in a statement Sunday.

Nationally, the number of new cases has been largely trending downward since peaking in early May, but western Canada has seen an uptick in new cases in recent weeks.

There has been a 13 per cent increase in the average daily case count over last week, Tam said.

Since three provinces — B.C., Alberta and P.E.I. — as well as the territories do not release new daily figures on the weekend, Sunday’s numbers paint an incomplete picture.

The number of coronavirus cases in Quebec grew by 120 on Sunday, and the death toll rose by three. Officials said those deaths didn’t occur during the last 24 hours, but happened sometime between Aug. 23 and Aug. 28.

Quebec continues to be the province hardest hit by the virus by far, with 62,352 confirmed cases and a death toll of 5,758.

Ontario added 112 cases of the virus, and officials announced that one additional person lost their life to the illness. Since January, 42,195 people in Ontario have been diagnosed with COVID-19, and 2,810 people have died.

Manitoba announced 35 new cases on Sunday, three that are linked to an outbreak at a hospital in Brandon. Among the Prairie provinces, Manitoba has diagnosed the fewest COVID-19 cases, with a total of 1,186 cases and a death toll of 14.

At least 15 of those cases are considered presumptive rather than confirmed through laboratory testing.

Saskatchewan did not report any new cases Sunday. The province’s total stands at 1,615 and 24 COVID-19 fatalities have occurred.

There were also no additional cases diagnosed in Atlantic Canada.

Overall, Newfoundland and Labrador has had 269 coronavirus cases — only one of which is active — along with three fatalities. New Brunswick has had 189 cases, along with two fatalities. In Nova Scotia, there have been 1,083 cases and 65 fatalities.

P.E.I., which last provided an update on Tuesday, has had 44 cases of the virus.

On Friday, Alberta recorded 158 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the number of total infections to 13,476. No new deaths were recorded in the province.

British Columbia added 123 lab-confirmed cases of the virus on Friday — its highest ever single-day jump — raising the provincial total to 5,426 cases, plus 70 considered “epidemiologically linked.”

All of Yukon’s 15 confirmed cases have recovered, as have the five cases in the Northwest Territories. No cases have been diagnosed in Nunavut.

According to figures compiled by Johns Hopkins University, the number of people around the world diagnosed with COVID-19 surpassed 25 million on Sunday, though experts believe the true number of cases could be significantly higher.

Nearly 844,000 people have succumbed to the illness.

–With files from David Lao, Global News

Source:Global News

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses: SHA – CTV News Saskatoon

Published

on


SASKATOON —
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is warning of a possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses in the last week. 

The SHA said a person or persons attended the following locations while likely infectious:

• Sept. 19 – Walmart Supercentre at 225 Betts Ave. in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 22 – Planet Fitness at Market Mall on 2325 Preston Ave. S in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 23 – KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive in Saskatoon from 5 to 10 p.m.

The SHA is advising anyone who was at these locations on the specified dates and times to self monitor for 14 days or immediately self isolate and call HealthLine 811 if they develop symptoms of COVID-19. 

People may develop symptoms between two and 14 days after getting exposed to the virus, according to the SHA.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: 7 people linked to Toronto restaurant test positive, around 1,700 possibly exposed – Global News

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) officials say seven people linked to a downtown restaurant have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and officials are now asking approximately 1,700 people to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.

Officials said five staff members and two patrons of Yonge Street Warehouse — located near Yonge and Dundas streets — are confirmed to have contracted the virus.

All known close contacts of those individuals have been reached by TPH, officials said, adding that anyone who hasn’t been contacted is considered low risk.

TPH said the period for potential exposure is from Sept. 10 to 17 — it’s estimated around 1,700 people may have attended the restaurant during that time.

Story continues below advertisement

Anyone who was at the establishment during that period is being asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days since their last visit “as a precaution.”

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“If symptoms develop, please contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate,” officials said.

“Please wear a mask when going for testing.”






1:12
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school


COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

7 COVID-19 cases linked to Yonge Street Warehouse – CBC.ca

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) says seven people who have tested positive for COVID-19 went to a Yonge Street restaurant within the last month.

Of the seven, five are staff members and two are patrons. All of which attended Yonge Street Warehouse, at 336 Yonge St., between Sept. 10 and Sept. 17.

The health agency wants to notify staff and patrons who visited the restaurant during the 8-day period about a potential exposure to the virus. 

TPH said they have followed up with all known close contacts and those individuals have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days and go for testing. 

Around 1,700 people may have been at the venue during this time, TPH said, however, people not already contacted are viewed as low risk.

“If you were at the Yonge Street Warehouse between September 10 to 17 but have not been contacted by TPH, you are not identified as a close contact,” read a statement released on Saturday.

Nevertheless, the health agency is still urging anyone who was there during the exposure time to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after their last visit. 

If symptoms develop, the agency asks you to contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending