Connect with us

News

Canada adds 2,820 new coronavirus cases as global deaths top 2.6 million – Global News

Published

 on


Canada added 2,820 more cases of the novel coronavirus on Tuesday, pushing the total number of infections in the country to 893,523. 
Twenty-eight more fatalities associated with COVID-19 means to date, 22,304 people have died in Canada after falling ill. 

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
COVID-19 vaccine tracker: How many Canadians are vaccinated?

Speaking at a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced March 11, 2021 will be named a National Day of Observance to “honour everyone we lost to this terrible virus, and to recognize the impact this global pandemic has had on all our lives.”

“There are no words for the pain of losing someone you love. As a country we remember all those we lost, and we mourn with families and friends,” he said.

“To everyone who is grieving, we’re thinking of you and we’re there for you.”

The day of observance will mark one year since the World Health Organization officially declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic.


Click to play video 'Canada’s top doctor discusses COVID-19 vaccine dose intervals following NACI recommendations'



3:47
Canada’s top doctor discusses COVID-19 vaccine dose intervals following NACI recommendations


Canada’s top doctor discusses COVID-19 vaccine dose intervals following NACI recommendations

To date, more than 841,000 people in Canada have recovered after testing positive for the disease, and over 2.5 million vaccines to protect against the virus have been administered. 

Story continues below advertisement

Health Canada has approved four COVID-19 vaccines for use in the country.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

In December, the agency approved two mRNA vaccines — one from Moderna, the other from Pfizer-BioNTech.

Last month, a vaccine from AstraZeneca-Oxford was given the green light, and a candidate from Johnson & Johnson was granted approval last week.

So far, approximately 3.3 per cent of Canada’s population has received a vaccine to protect against the virus.

The federal government, though, has repeatedly promised that all Canadians who want a COVID-19 vaccine will have access to one by the end of September.

Hundreds of new cases in the provinces

In Ontario, 1,185 new cases and six more deaths were reported on Tuesday, while Quebec health officials said 650 more people have fallen ill and 12 more have died.

Health authorities in Saskatchewan said 112 more people have tested positive for COVID-19 and one more person has died.

Meanwhile, Manitoba added 62 new infections, but provincial officials said no one else has died.

Read more:
Senior Canadian scientists question government plans to delay 2nd dose of COVID-19 vaccine

Story continues below advertisement

In Atlantic Canada, six new cases of the respiratory illness were reported.

Nova Scotia saw five new infections, while one more person has contracted the disease in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Neither province saw any fatalities related to the virus on Tuesday.

In New Brunswick, health authorities said one more person has tested positive for  COVID-19, and one more person has died.

Prince Edward Island did not see any new cases or deaths.


Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Canada’s top doctor comments on CDC’s guidelines for fully vaccinated Americans'



2:41
Coronavirus: Canada’s top doctor comments on CDC’s guidelines for fully vaccinated Americans


Coronavirus: Canada’s top doctor comments on CDC’s guidelines for fully vaccinated Americans

In western Canada, more than 800 new cases were detected.

Albertan authorities said 255 more cases were reported, while six more people have died.

British Columbia health officials said 550 more people have fallen ill with COVID-19, and two more people have died.

Story continues below advertisement

No new cases or deaths were reported in any of Canada’s territories on Tuesday.

Global deaths top 2.6 million

Globally, 117,424,768 people have contracted the virus, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

So far, the virus has claimed 2,608,231 lives around the world.

The United States remains the viral epicentre of the coronavirus, with more than 29 million infections and over 527,000 fatalities.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Basketball trailblazer denied Canadian permanent residency, must return to U.S. – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Bilquis Abdul-Qaadir, the trailblazing basketball player who set up an academy for girls and coached multiple sports at an Islamic school in London, Ont., has been denied permanent residency in Canada and will have to go back to the United States. 

“We’ve been here for two years, my son is Canadian, and we would love to be part of this country, but we finally got the message from immigration that we were denied permanent residency. It’s very unexpected,” said Abdul Qaadir from her London home. “I’m at a loss for words. I’ve single-handedly brought sports to an underserviced community. It’s heartbreaking.”

Abdul-Qaadir and her husband, A.W. Massey, moved to London from Tennessee three years ago.

She said she hasn’t been able to work in Canada since August, when her work permit expired and wasn’t renewed by a Canadian border official. 

“We’re still trying to figure out what we’re going to do. We aren’t sure. We’re angry and we’re tired. We put our heart and soul into this application. We felt like we checked all the boxes.” 

Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir and her husband, A.W. Massey, moved to London, Ont. three years ago from Tennessee. (Submitted by A.W. Massey)

Abdul-Qaadir led a four-year battle against the International Basketball Federation, which banned religious head coverings on the court. She won, but sacrificed her basketball career to do so.

She had been the leading high school point scorer for both boys and girls in Massachusetts, and went on to play for the University of Memphis in Tennessee, where she was the first woman to play in a hijab in NCAA Division 1. 

Alongside her motivational speaking gigs, she teaches at the London Islamic School and has opened a basketball academy in London, but all that is now up in the air. 

On Thursday, Abdul-Qaadir got a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that said she doesn’t “meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.” 

She applied for permanent residency as an athletic director at the London Muslim Mosque, but her duties — including developing, managing and supervising the school’s physical education and athletic programs, as well as being the head coach for the basketball, volleyball and cross-country teams — are “inconsistent with the actions” of an athletic director. 

“I am not satisfied that your stated duties is sufficient to indicate that your role involves plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of comprehensive fitness programs at this organization. I am also not satisfied that you performed a substantial number of the main duties for this [job classification],” IRCC wrote in her letter.   

Abdul-Qaadir said she doesn’t know if she and her husband will fight the refusal. 

Abdul-Qaadir set the state record for the highest all-time high school scorer for men and women in Massachusetts. ( Jamie Schwaberow/NCAA Photographer)

For more stories about the experiences of Black Canadians — from anti-Black racism to success stories within the Black community — check out Being Black in Canada, a CBC project Black Canadians can be proud of. You can read more stories here.

(CBC)

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Investment

Mastercard expands cryptocurrency services with wallets, loyalty rewards

Published

 on

Mastercard Inc said on Monday it would allow partners on its network to enable their consumers to buy, sell and hold cryptocurrency using a digital wallet, as well as reward them with digital currencies under loyalty programs.

The credit card giant said it would offer these services in partnership with Bakkt Holdings Inc, the digital assets platform founded by NYSE-owner Intercontinental Exchange.

Founded in 2018, Bakkt went public earlier this year through a $2.1 billion merger with a blank-check company. Shares of the company were up 77% at $16.19 on Monday.

Mastercard said its partners can also allow customers earn and spend rewards in cryptocurrency instead of loyalty points.

The company had said in February https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currency-mastercard-idUSKBN2AA2WF it would begin offering support for some cryptocurrencies on its network this year.

Last year, rival Visa Inc had partnered https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blockfi-crypto-currency-visa-idUSKBN28B603 with cryptocurrency startup BlockFi to offer a credit card that lets users earn bitcoin on purchases.

Bitcoin, the world’s largest cryptocurrency, touched a record high of $67,016 last week after the debut of the first U.S. bitcoin futures-based exchange traded fund. It has more than doubled in value this year.

 

(Reporting by Niket Nishant in Bengaluru; Editing by Ramakrishnan M.)

Continue Reading

News

Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou returns to work in Shenzhen, after extradition drama – Global Times

Published

 on

Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei Technologies, returned to work at the tech giant’s headquarters in Shenzhen on Monday after almost three years fighting extradition to the U.S. in Canada, state-backed Chinese newspaper Global Times reported.

Meng, the daughter of Huawei’s founder Ren Zhengfei, completed three weeks of quarantine last week after returning to the southern city of Shenzhen where a crowd of well-wishers chanting patriotic slogans awaited her at the airport.

“Over the last three years, although we have struggled, we have overcome obstacles and our team has fought with more and more courage,” she said in a speech at an internal company event that was circulated online.

The extradition drama had been a central source of discord between Beijing and Washington, with Chinese officials signalling that the case had to be dropped to help end a diplomatic stalemate.

Meng was detained in December 2018 in Vancouver after a New York court issued an arrest warrant, saying she tried to cover up attempts by Huawei-linked companies to sell equipment to Iran in breach of U.S. sanctions.

She was allowed to go home after reaching an agreement https://www.reuters.com/technology/huawei-cfo-meng-appear-court-expected-reach-agreement-with-us-source-2021-09-24 with U.S. prosecutors last month to end a bank fraud case against her.

 

(Reporting by David Kirton; Editing by Kirsten Donovan)

Continue Reading

Trending