The national tally of COVID-19 cases grew by at least 285 on Saturday, and an additional six deaths have been attributed to the disease.
Since January, 116,551 lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases have been recorded in Canada. Across the country, 8,941 people have succumbed to the illness, according to figures provided by provincial governments.
More than 101,000 people have recovered from the virus, and 4.7 million tests have been conducted across the country.
Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, encouraged Canadians to stay active to protect their physical health and mental well-being as the pandemic wears on.
“Summer is a great time to enjoy activities in lower-risk environments such as parks and trails; individual activities such as bike riding and jogging; and low contact sports such as golf and tennis,” she said in a statement Saturday.
“Wherever you enjoy the great Canadians outdoors, limit yourself to a small and consistent social circle and be mindful of potential exposure risks in shared facilities or in places where people may gather. Plan ahead and take precautions any time you are in a 3-Cs high-risk situation (closed spaces, crowded places or in close contact).”
The number of new COVID-19 cases reported Saturday is significantly lower than the daily national figures reported earlier this week, but only seven provinces — and none of the territories — are releasing new coronavirus data on the weekends.
Quebec, where the crisis has hit the hardest, crept closer toward 60,000 cases on Saturday, with the announcement of an additional 146 diagnoses. The new cases bring the provincial total to 59,458. There were no new deaths, but the province announced four previously unreported deaths that occurred prior to July 24.
Ottawa launches COVID-19 ‘exposure notification’ app
As of Saturday, 5,678 Quebecers have lost their lives to the coronavirus pandemic, more than double Ontario’s death toll.
That province added 124 cases on Saturday, along with two deaths. Overall, 39,333 people in Ontario have been diagnosed, and 2,777 of Ontario’s coronavirus cases were fatal.
Saskatchewan added 15 new cases to its total on Saturday, for a total of 1,334 overall, along with 18 deaths.
Manitoba has had less than a third of the cases reported in Saskatchewan. That province’s lab-confirmed diagnosis total stands at 401. Manitoba announced two additional cases on Saturday but they are not yet reflected in the Global News tally — which only includes lab-confirmed cases — as the province hasn’t specified whether they are confirmed through testing or considered presumptive.
Coronavirus: U.S. records over 25,000 deaths from COVID-19 in July
No cases were reported in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland and Labrador — the only other provinces that released updates Saturday.
As of Friday, British Columbia has recorded 3,609 diagnoses — plus 32 cases not confirmed through testing but considered epidemiologically linked — and 195 fatalities.
Alberta has had significantly more cases at 10,843, though it has claimed far fewer lives proportionately, at 196.
P.E.I. has had 36 cases, all of which have recovered, according to provincial health data.
As of Friday’s data, all but three of Yukon’s 14 confirmed cases had recovered. The five cases in the Northwest Territories have recovered, and no cases have been diagnosed in Nunavut.
Around the world, and particularly in the U.S., the virus is continuing to spread rapidly. A running tally by Johns Hopkins University shows nearly 17.1 million people have been diagnosed, and 681,000 people have succumbed to the illness globally.
On Friday, World Health Organization Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic’s effects will be felt for years to come.
“The pandemic is a once-in-a-century health crisis, the effects of which will be felt for decades to come,” Tedros told a meeting of the WHO’s emergency committee, according to remarks released by the agency.
—With a file from Reuters
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Trump claims Canada wants U.S. border reopened – CTV News
U.S. President Donald Trump says that Canada wants to see the Canada-U.S. border reopened, but the federal government says it’ll make the decision based on public health advice.
“We’re looking at the border with Canada. Canada would like it open, and you know we want to get back to normal business,” Trump said outside the White House on Friday.
“We’re going to be reopening the borders pretty soon,” Trump said, adding that he thinks the U.S. is “rounding the turn” in that country’s still massive COVID-19 outbreak.
To date there have been more than six million cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. and more than 198,000 Americans have died. Over the course of the crisis there have been 141,565 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Canada, and more than 9,000 deaths.
On Friday federal officials on both sides of the border announced that the Canada-U.S. border closure would be extended for at least another month, until Oct. 21.
The land border between the two countries has been closed to all non-essential travel since March 21, a move first made to limit the spread of the virus.
The agreement, as it stands, exempts the flow of trade and commerce, as well as temporary foreign workers and vital health-care workers such as nurses who live and work on opposite sides of the border.
Tourists and cross-border visits remain prohibited, though some restrictions on close family members have been eased allowing families to reunite, while others continue to call for further compassion for non-married couples and others who are still not permitted to cross.
Pandemic tensions have flared in Canada over prospective American visitors, some of whom have used loopholes in the rules to enter the country.
CTVNews.ca reached out to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office for comment, and spokesperson Chantal Gagnon pointed to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s comments earlier on Friday about the continuation of the border restrictions.
“We will continue to base our decisions on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe,” Blair said in a tweet.
In the latest episode of CTV News’ podcast Trend Line, Chair of Nanos Research Nik Nanos said that “people in Canada see what’s happening in the United States, and they have significant concerns about the risks to Canadians because of the pandemic.”
Canada’s Public Health Agency president resigns amid rising coronavirus cases – Global News
Tina Namiesniowski, the president of the Public Health Agency of Canada, has resigned leaving the department in charge of leading country’s response to the coronavirus without a leader, amid rising cases of the virus in some of Canada’s most populous provinces.
In a letter to staff released by Health Canada, Namiesniowski said she needed “to take a break” and “step aside so someone else can step up” to lead the public health agency tasked with coordinating Canada’s response to COVID-19. Namiesniowski was appointed to the job in May 2019.
Her resignation comes as caseloads of the virus have surged in Ontario, B.C. and Quebec and criticism about the federal government’s response to the virus in the early stages of the pandemic has mounted.
A spokesperson for Health Canada said, “a replacement will be announced next week.”
“This is a very difficult decision for me but I think it’s the right one,” Namiesniowski said. “You really need someone who will have the energy and the stamina to take the Agency and our response to the next level.
“Even though I might not have accomplished everything I would have liked to have done, I truly hope the foundation for change I’ve championed through our work on PHAC of the future will help serve as a road map moving forward.”
According to her LinkedIn profile, Namiesniowski worked as the executive vice-president of the Canada Border Services Agency and served as an assistant deputy minister at Agriculture Canada and Public Safety Canada.
“I will support the transition of a new President and then I am going to take some time to reconnect with my husband, kids and aging father and think about my own next steps,” she wrote. “I do want to remind everyone about how much of a toll this relentless pace can have on each of us and our loved ones so please try and look after yourselves and each other.”
PHAC, which Namiesniowski formally headed, faced criticism over a depleted national emergency stockpile of personal protective equipment (PPE) and reports that the Global Public Health Intelligence Network (GPHIN) – a federal pandemic early warning system — was shut down last year.
Namiesniowski said in her email Friday, “it is hard to believe that close to ten months has elapsed since the Agency picked up the initial GPHIN signal on December 31st, 2019, about a cluster of cases in Wuhan of an unknown respiratory illness,” but did not mention the ongoing controversy around GPHIN.
Last week, Health Minister Patty Hajdu ordered a review over the warning system matter and reports that officials working on it were silenced, just months before the global outbreak of the coronavirus.
Hajdu said in a statement that a “full and expeditious independent review” has been requested.
“We were concerned to learn of reports that GPHIN analysts felt that they were not able to proceed with their important work, and that some scientists didn’t feel fully empowered. That’s why we have ordered a full and expeditious independent review of GPHIN,” said Hajdu’s office in a statement.
“This independent review is an important step in restoring GPHIN and ensuring that it can continue its valuable contributions to public health in Canada and around the world.”
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Canada's premiers push for $28B top-up to annual federal health care spending – CBC.ca
Canada’s premiers are demanding $28 billion in additional federal funding to cover their ballooning health care costs — a boost that would bring annual transfers to $70 billion.
The premiers have agreed unanimously to call on the Liberal government to address what they call an “absolutely critical” situation.
The premiers are meeting in Ottawa today to map out their demands ahead of next week’s throne speech.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Quebec Premier François Legault — the incoming chair of the Council of the Federation — met in person, with other premiers joining virtually.
“It’s time for the federal government to do its fair share,” Legault said.
Ford said that as the demand for health care services has risen, support from the federal government has been decreasing.
“We’re in desperate need of your support,” he said.
The proposed increase would mean the federal government would cover 35 per cent of provinces’ health care costs, up from the current 22 per cent. Right now, the provinces spend $188 billion on health care, with the federal government covering $42 billion.
“We need the support from the federal government. We’re asking the fed government to support all Canadians. Be a true partner when it comes to health care,” Ford said.
Pallister said Canadians are living in fear because of the consequences of federal underfunding, such as longer waits for services and diagnoses.
“Right now, millions of Canadians are waiting for an appointment for a test, for consequential treatment, for surgery. Those delays are painful. A lump that isn’t diagnosed is not fun,” he said.
“Every single day right now in Canada, there are people in fear directly of the consequences of delay, and their families join in that fear, and their friends join in that fear.”
Pallister said it’s been a longstanding problem that has gone unaddressed. He said it’s time for the federal government to resume its “rightful role as a true funding partner” in order to shorten wait times and improve health care.
Ford and Legault met in Mississauga, Ont., last week to discuss economic recovery and health preparedness as the number of active COVID-19 cases rises in parts of the country.
“Premier Ford is in Ottawa to join his fellow Premiers ahead of the throne speech to press the federal government on critical priorities for the people of Ontario, including strengthening frontline health care, helping people and businesses get back on their feet, and moving shovel-ready infrastructure projects forward,” said Ford’s spokesperson Ivana Yelich in an email.
The federal government is providing $19 billion to the provinces to help ease the financial burden of the pandemic; about $10 billion of that sum is for health-related expenses.
But Ford and Legault said more long-term funding is needed to address critical health care issues that predate the pandemic, such as the increasing cost of new medical technologies and drugs and an aging population.
The federal government will transfer almost $42 billion to provinces and territories for health care this fiscal year under an agreement that mandates an an annual increase of three per cent.
Legault has said that the federal contribution is well below the 50 per cent share originally agreed upon decades ago.
Before the premiers’ meeting, Ford sat down with Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and the city’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Vera Etches.
The provincial government has imposed stricter rules on gatherings in the Ottawa, Toronto and Peel regions after their COVID-19 infections spiked.
Lightning haven’t ruled out Steven Stamkos playing in Stanley Cup Final – Sportsnet.ca
Are high churn rates depressing earnings for app developers? – TechCrunch
UK study finds new Covid-19 rapid test that gives result within 90 minutes – Deccan Herald
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Politics21 hours ago
Playing Politics With a Vaccine – The New York Times
- Tech8 hours ago
PS5 Disc And Digital Pre-Orders Continue To Sell Out Nightmarishly Fast – Forbes
- Business21 hours ago
Speeding Tesla driver caught napping behind the wheel on Alberta highway – CBC.ca
- Tech23 hours ago
Upgrading to iOS 14 or iPadOS 14? Good, but do this first – CNET
- Tech22 hours ago
Here are the new features to check out on Apple's iOS 14 (PHOTOS) | Venture – Daily Hive
- Business18 hours ago
Desperation sets in as CERB is set to end; these three Canadians are among the millions living on the bubble – Toronto Star
- Health23 hours ago
Staff and students from Fellowes High School tested for COVID-19 following school closure – The Sudbury Star
- Health3 hours ago
Public Health Agency of Canada president resigns as COVID-19 cases spike – Yahoo News Canada