Connect with us

News

Canada Post's search policy unconstitutional, rules N.L. Supreme Court – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A Newfoundland and Labrador Supreme Court justice has ruled part of the Canada Post Corporation Act violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. (Paul Daly/CBC)

The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador has ruled that the law that allowed Canada Post to search a parcel containing cocaine violates the charter right to privacy — but the evidence found in the parcel can still be used in the trial of the man who received it.

The decision by Justice Daniel Boone — delivered Jan. 11 and released Thursday — gives Canada Post and the federal government one year to change legislation that allows the Crown corporation to “open any mail, other than a letter” to determine if the contents are dangerous, illegal or violate regulations.

In his decision, Boone said the current legislation, part of the Canada Post Corporation Act, violates the part of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that guarantees “the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.”

Boone argued those who use Canada Post should have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they send parcels, and the current law is too broad.

“The breadth of search power in the statute is entirely inconsistent with the reasonable expectation that government will not intrude on privacy in the mail,” Boone wrote. 

Crown lawyers Trevor Bridger and Paul Adams argued that Canada Post should be able to search parcels that could contain dangerous or illegal material. Boone didn’t disagree with that argument, but said the current rules don’t work.

“Some form of objective standard ought to be required before a search can proceed,” Boone said, “It is not a sufficient safeguard of postal users’ constitutional rights to leave the decision whether to search a parcel entirely to the unfettered discretion of postal officials.”

Decision comes out of cocaine trafficking case

The decision stems from the case of a Newfoundland and Labrador man charged with trafficking in cocaine. The Crown alleges the man picked up a package containing two kilograms of cocaine from a UPS store.

A Canada Post inspector searched the package before the man picked it up, discovered what appeared to be cocaine, and alerted law enforcement.

Police got a warrant for a controlled delivery and put a tracking device on the package. Officers put an alarm on the package that alerted them when the package was opened. After the package was opened, police arrested the man.

A Canada Post inspector alerted authorities after finding what appeared to be cocaine inside a package. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)

Jonathan Noonan, the lawyer for the man, argued the Canada Post inspector’s search of the package violated his constitutional right against unreasonable search or seizure.

Though Boone agreed, he declined to set an alternative standard for a constitutional search, instead saying the responsibility lies with Canada Post and the federal government.

“It is for Parliament to choose which standard would be appropriate,” Boone wrote.

In a followup April decision, also released Thursday, Boone suspended his January ruling for one year to give Canada Post and the federal government time to draft those new standards.

‘A hollow victory’

Boone also ruled the man charged with trafficking cocaine — scheduled at the time to go to trial in June — would not be exempted from the suspension and that the evidence seized could be used in his trial.

“Unfortunately for him, this is a hollow victory because the declaration of unconstitutionality is an insufficient remedy,” Boone wrote.

And while Boone said the section of the Canada Post Act allowing searches of packages was unconstitutional, the man did not sufficiently demonstrate that his privacy had been violated in this specific case.

According to the decision, the package was addressed to a company — not the man himself — and the man hadn’t demonstrated a connection between himself and the company. 

Boone argued that the outcome of the criminal case is more important than what he called a “minimal intrusion” of charter rights. He said the unconstitutional statute has more of an impact on that public at large than on the specific case.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

‘McGregor-Mayweather rematch in the making’

Published

 on

Los Angeles, United States of America (USA)- Fighthype.com has reported that Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather are in discussions over holding a second bout.

Mayweather beat McGregor in their huge clash back in June 2017 but McGregor has hinted at a possible rematch in a post on his Instagram account.

The UFC superstar posted a cryptic post hinting at a second bout by sharing a picture of their 2017 clash and writing, “I accept.”

However, it’s uncertain as to whether a rematch between the pair would be another exhibition bout, or whether Mayweather would make it one more professional fight.

Meanwhile, YouTuber, Jake Paul, has repeatedly claimed that Mayweather still hasn’t paid him following last year’s exhibition bout. Their eight-round exhibition bout went to a draw as Mayweather was unable to knockout Paul, “Floyd Mayweather is broke. I have been saying it all the time. I think he probably spent it on the girls he pays to be around him. He’s hard to hit, but even harder to collect money from. Who should I fight next?”

However, Mayweather has since dismissed the accusations claiming that Paul has suggested that the pair should have a second exhibition bout.

“This is the guy who said he didn’t get paid, which we know is truly false, which is why I don’t entertain the bull*** a lot of the time. We know he got paid and if he didn’t get paid he wouldn’t be trying to get another payday. It is so crazy that Logan Paul wants to do an exhibition again but it is the same guy that said he didn’t get paid. It is what it is,” said Mayweather.

Mayweather was expected to earn US$64 million from the fight, with Logan receiving US$18.5 million of the purse.

Continue Reading

News

G7: Canada to elevate small Commonwealth nations' concerns – CTV News

Published

 on


KIGALI, Rwanda –

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau headed to the G7 summit in Germany on Saturday without a consensus from the Commonwealth to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine, but with a chorus of countries calling for help to overcome the fallout of the war.

Trudeau and Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly arrived in Kigali, the capital of Rwanda, on Wednesday for the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting, which has been dominated by the concerns of nations that are suffering from food scarcity. Trudeau departed for the G7 talk slater in the day.

In the final communique from the Commonwealth summit, the 54 participating countries said they discussed the conflict in Ukraine, ” underscored the need to respect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of all states,” and ” emphasized that all countries must seek peaceful resolution to all disputes in accordance with international law.”

The countries stopped short of condemning Russia, as Trudeau and United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson have done throughout the summit.

“I can assure you that the topic of standing up for Ukraine was much discussed,” Trudeau said at a press conference following the conclusion of the summit, referencing “strong language” in the communique.

Most Commonwealth Nations condemned Russia’s actions at a United Nations vote in March, but 10 abstained. Among them was India, whose Prime Minister Narendra Modi opted not to attend the Commonwealth summit and instead spoke virtually with the leaders of Russia, China, Brazil and South Africa.

Trudeau said Russian President Vladimir Putin has run a disinformation campaign and has even been “telling outright lies,” including blaming the food security crisis on Western sanctions against Russia.

He said food shortage stems from Russia’s illegal actions, including blockade at key ports, as well as the deliberate targeting of Ukrainian grain storage facilities through cruise missile strikes.

“I was very clear with our friends and partners around the table, and not just clear on Russia’s responsibility, but on how Canada and the West are stepping up,” Trudeau said.

Canada will be raising the growing threat of famine at the G7 in Schloss Elmau Germany, Joly said.

She said Canada was in “listening mode” at the Commonwealth meetings, where leaders of smaller nations were able to speak without the dominating presence of the United States, Russia and China.

“What is clear to us is that Russia is weaponizing food and putting a toll on many countries around the world, and putting 50 million lives at risk,” Joly told reporters Friday in Rwanda.

Trudeau had attempted to meet with the chair of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, for several days during the Commonwealth summit but the sit-down was repeatedly postponed and eventually cancelled.

Shortly after Trudeau arrived in Rwanda, the government announced Canada would dedicate a new ambassador to the African Union, which has suffered from the food shortages inflicted on the continent as a result of the warin Ukraine.

Both Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Putin have met with representatives of the African Union, with Russia blaming sanctions against its government for stopping the flow of grain.

At the conclusion of the Commonwealth summit, Trudeau announced $94 million in funding for various education initiatives and $120 million to support gender equality and women’s rights in Commonwealth countries.

Some of the other voices the prime minister has promised to centre at his international meetings, including the G7 summit,

belong to youth leaders who spoke at a Saturday-morning event focused on issues facing young people around the world.

Some of the delegates spoke about the devastating effects of climate change, particularly around remote island nations where infrastructure cannot withstand natural disasters and rebuilding efforts take years. The onslaught takes a toll on education and health services, one delegate told the forum.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 25, 2022.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

New federal task force to review Canada’s immigration, passport delays – Global News

Published

 on


The federal government has created a special task force to help tackle the major delays with immigration applications and passport processing that have left Canadians frustrated.

In a statement announcing the new task force, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the federal government knows the delays are unacceptable, and will continue to do everything it can to improve the delivery of the services in an efficient and timely manner.

Read more:

Passport renewal wait times now online as Ottawa looks to address long lineups

Trudeau said the new task force will help guide the government to better meet the changing needs of Canadians, and continue to provide them with the high-quality services they need and deserve.

Ten cabinet members will spearhead the new committee, which will review how services are delivered, and identify gaps and areas for improvement.


Click to play video: 'New passport wait-time estimator shows system backlog'



1:48
New passport wait-time estimator shows system backlog


New passport wait-time estimator shows system backlog – Jun 15, 2022

The committee will be expected to make recommendations outlining short- and longer-term solutions that would reduce wait times, clear out backlogs, and improve the overall quality of services provided.

Read more:

Canadian passport delays are frustrating travellers. What’s the fix?

In addition, the task force will monitor external issues, such as labour shortages around the world, which contribute to travel delays at home and abroad.

© 2022 The Canadian Press

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending