Canada reported 2,122 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Friday, of which 2,049 were diagnosed in the last 24 hours.
It was the highest daily case total Canada has seen, though 2,777 cases were recorded on May 3 due to Quebec adjusting its total by more than 1,300 because of a computer issue.
However, testing has increased dramatically since then, with Canada administering 101,985 tests on Friday compared to the 29,855 on May 3.
A total of 89 deaths were also reported by health authorities across the country, of which only eight had occurred in the last 24-hours.
The virus has now claimed the lives of 9,409 people in Canada, while a total of 162,490 infections have been identified across the country.
A total of 137,614 patients have since recovered from the virus as of Friday, and over 8.9 million tests have been administered.
Coronavirus: Ottawa revises border restrictions for compassionate visits by foreign nationals
In an update Friday, Canada’s chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam warned of the country’s continued increase in new COVID-19 cases, with Canada averaging 1,634 new cases every day over the past week.
“Accelerated epidemic growth, particularly in high-incidence areas of Quebec and Ontario, is driving the ongoing increase,” said Tam at a press conference Friday.
“New cases reported from these provinces account for almost 80 per cent of the national case count. More recently, we are seeing an increase in severe outcomes of COVID-19, which we’re keeping a really close eye on.”
Quebec announced the highest increase in COVID-19 cases among all provinces Friday, with 1,052 newly confirmed infections. The new case data, which brings Quebec’s total infections to 76,273, is the highest increase in lab-confirmed infections since the province reported an additional 1,110 cases on May 1.
Another seven deaths were also reported by authorities in the provinces, though they had occurred sometime in September. The province remains the hardest-hit area in Canada, and has seen a total of 5,857 fatalities to date.
Ontario added 732 new coronavirus cases and 76 more deaths on Friday, though 73 of the infections and 74 of the fatalities had occurred over the spring and summer and were added as a result of a data cleanup.
The data brings the province’s total infections to 52,980, and its death toll from the virus to 2,927. A total of 44,850 patients have since recovered from the virus. in Ontario.
Manitoba announced 43 new cases on Friday. The province, which has to date seen 21 deaths from the virus, now has 2,072 COVID-19 cases — of which an unknown number are considered probable cases.
Alberta reported 122 new COVID-19 infections on Friday, bringing its total lab-confirmed cases to 18,357. Another three deaths were reported by health authorities Friday, raising the official death toll to 272.
Saskatchewan added 13 new cases during their daily update Friday, increasing its overall virus cases to 1,940. The province’s death toll stands at 24. Friday marks the third day in a row the province recorded a double-digit increase of new cases.
British Columbia announced 161 new cases on Friday. The cases include two that are considered “epidemiologically-linked,” which are patients who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms and were in close proximity to people who tested for the virus, but were never diagnosed.
The province has seen a total of 9,212 lab-confirmed cases and another 169 that are considered “epi-linked.” Another three deaths were reported Friday, raising the death toll to 238.
Coronavirus: Trudeau says Feds to add $600 million to business relief fund
Nova Scotia reported one new case on Friday, raising its total COVID-19 infections to 1,089. No other provinces in Atlantic Canada reported additional infections on Friday, however.
Global deaths linked to the virus have since surpassed 1 million, according a running tally kept by Johns Hopkins University. Over 34.4 million have been diagnosed with the disease worldwide.
The U.S., India and Brazil continue to lead in both cases and deaths.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Family members of PS752 victims report receiving threats for speaking out against Iranian regime – CBC.ca
Canadians who lost loved ones when Iran shot down Flight PS752 earlier this year have been reporting an increasing number of threats warning them against criticizing Iran’s response to the disaster.
“These are ugly, insidious crimes, apparently orchestrated at the behest of a foreign power. That is something that would be disturbing to every Canadian,” said former MP Ralph Goodale who is acting as Canada’s special adviser to the government on the incident.
Goodale says two cases of intimidation and harassment were reported to police in the spring. The number of such incidents of which authorities are aware has now increased to 11, he said. RCMP, local police and security organizations are working with Canada’s allies around the world and taking the threats seriously, Goodale added.
Hamed Esmaeilion lost his nine-year-old daughter Reera and wife Parisa when PS752 was shot down by the Iranian military over Tehran on Jan. 8, killing all 176 people aboard. He’s the spokesperson representing an association of victims’ families in Canada seeking justice and he said he has been receiving hateful messages for months.
‘Let’s talk about the last moments of your wife and daughter’
But the situation escalated after a rally he held on Parliament Hill on Oct. 5, he said.
A suspicious vehicle loitered outside his house that night, pulling up in front of his driveway and then backing up, Esmaeilion said. He also reported receiving a suspicious phone call on Oct. 5 from someone who left a message saying, “Let’s talk about the last moments of your wife and daughter.”
Esmailion said he blocked the number but received a threat in Farsi through his Instagram account later the same day: “Your name is on a list of terror, so enjoy your life before you get killed. And you would be a lesson for out of country traitors.”
Esmailion said he met with RCMP on Friday and was told to keep a record of further calls.
“It doesn’t scare me, honestly,” he told CBC. “This is something we have been through since the beginning and especially in the month of May and June … That was, I think, the peak of insulting and hateful messages that I received.”
He said he believes the messages are coming both from Iran and Canada but he has no idea whether they’re from representatives of the Iranian regime or just from its supporters.
Mahmoud Zibaie, who also lost his wife and daughter when PS752 was shot down, told CBC News that he received a call from someone identifying themselves as the chief investigator of the military court in Iran dealing with the lawsuit for compensation launched against the regime.
Zibaie said the caller told him that he needed to return to Iran to participate in the suit for compensation. He said the compensation is low down on the list of what he wants from Iran.
“In some sense, I can say that I can regard it as a threat because he … kept telling me that, ‘Okay, we have to see each other. You have to get back to Iran. You have to come here and you have to launch a lawsuit,'” he said.
Zibaie said he plans to share the audio of that call with the RCMP.
Javad Soleimani of Edmonton lost his wife on the flight. He said he is not taking the threats seriously because he has no family left in Iran but worries about those with family back home who could be targets for harassment or persecution.
“These threats and families harassment, actually, have been something ongoing from the very beginning,” Soleimani told CBC News. “From hijacking the funeral routine, writing congratulations on your martyrdom on the coffins, and also … detaining some family members in Iran.”
“It’s I think it’s a national threat to Canada,” he said. “I think the only way to deal with these intimidation or threats or concerns for families is that the Canadian government more publicly support families of victims.”
Goodale said the federal government is taking the threat very seriously.
“It is an offence against Canada, It is a crime under the Criminal Code, and foreign interference attacks the very sovereignty and integrity of our country. So it is indeed treated with gravity it deserves,” he said.
The RCMP issued a statement today saying that it is “aware of allegations of intimidation of the grieving families of the PS752 and we take such complaints seriously.”
“While we cannot comment on individual cases, Canadians and all individuals living in Canada, regardless of their nationality, should feel safe and free from criminal activity,” said the statement.
Watch: Families of Flight 752 victims report threats from Iran:
Canada expecting uptick in excess deaths amid COVID-19: StatCan – CTV News
Canada is expecting to see an increase in excess deaths as COVID-19 cases are once again trending upwards, according to Statistics Canada.
Between March and June 2020, as COVID-19 spread across the country, Canada saw over 7,000 excess deaths. That figure refers to deaths that exceed the number that would normally be expected during any given period of time.
While these excess deaths skyrocketed in the early months of the pandemic, there was a brief dip in July, when these figures returned to a normal, pre-pandemic range, which according to Statistics Canada falls around 21,000 deaths per month.
Meanwhile, there were over 170 COVID-19 deaths in August and September respectively — but by the time the first 10 days of October were over, Canada had already reported 244 deaths.
That means there were more COVID-19 deaths reported in those 10 days than were reported in the months of August or September.
“Overall, if the similarities between public health surveillance figures and official death data persist through the resurgence of cases, Canada will likely experience an increase in excess deaths in October,” the publication on the Statistics Canada website explains.
Statistics Canada says that these figures can be an important indicator of both the “direct and indirect effects” of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“While the direct effects include deaths attributable to COVID-19, the indirect effects relate to measures put in place to address the pandemic,” the agency wrote.
“These measures could cause increases or decreases in mortality, such as missed or delayed medical interventions, fewer traffic-related incidents, and other possible changes in behaviour such as increased substance use.”
In its publication, Statistics Canada said it based its findings on “an updated provisional dataset from the Canadian Vital Statistics Death Database” as well as the Public Health Agency of Canada’s COVID-19 Outbreak Update.
It gave the caveat that this data only includes deaths that provinces and territories have reported to Statistics Canada, meaning reporting delays could impact the figures. The data also doesn’t include Yukon. However, Statistics Canada said they adjusted to account for incomplete data “where possible.”
The agency asserted that the figures “provide an important benchmark for understanding the potential impacts of the resurgence of the COVID-19 pandemic on communities across Canada.”
Excess deaths by province
The charts below plot the number of deaths reported by provinces on a weekly basis from the beginning of January until the end of September. The data is provisional, and because of reporting delays, do not reflect all the deaths that occurred during the reference period. Ontario, for example, shows a steep drop in deaths during the summer months of 2020, but that may be partly due to delays in reporting.
Years before 2019 are represented by faint grey lines behind the chart. Numbers have not been adjusted for populations growing year over year.
Ginella Massa to join CBC News Network as primetime host – CBC.ca
Journalist Ginella Massa will join CBC News Network as the host of a new primetime show, the Crown corporation announced Wednesday as part of programming changes over the next few months.
“She’s just got a spark and curiosity to her that is refreshing at a time when there’s so much to be interested in, and so much that is sort of unchartered in terms of the kind of journalism we do, the kind of stories we tell,” said Michael Gruzuk, CBC’s senior director of programming.
Massa will also join CBC’s flagship news program The National as a special correspondent, as well as take part in “many of our CBC News specials,” according to an internal CBC memo.
A graduate of Seneca College and York University, Massa is currently a reporter for CityNews in Toronto. In 2019, she was part of the CityNews team that won a Canadian Screen Award for best live special for coverage of an Ontario leaders’ debate.
She has also worked with CTV, NewsTalk 1010 and Rogers TV, moving from behind the scenes as a news writer and producer to in front of the camera as a television journalist.
In 2015, she became the first hijab-wearing TV reporter in Canada, and then the next year, the first to anchor a major newscast in the country.
Massa said she hopes to use her new CBC role to focus on stories from different perspectives — be it race, religion or class.
“For the last decade of my career in journalism, both behind the scenes and on air, I have often been the only one who looks like me in the room,” Massa said.
“I do try to bring those perspectives to the newsroom … bring the stories that people around me are talking about, which aren’t always the stories that get the most attention.”
Beginning in the new year, Massa’s hour-long show will air weeknights at 8 p.m. ET on CBC News Network.
Her hiring comes alongside a number of other changes on the cable network.
On Nov. 1, it will launch Rosemary Barton Live, a two-hour Sunday program focused on federal politics, followed by the premiere of CBC News Live with Vassy Kapelos, a weekday “fast-paced roundup of breaking political and Canadian stories” on Nov. 2, the internal memo said.
Kapelos will continue to host Power and Politics, which moves to a new time slot of 6 p.m.-8 p.m. ET on weekdays.
CBC journalist Carole MacNeil will host a new weekday afternoon show on News Network, which will be “more programmed” rather than focusing on breaking news that just happened, Gruzuk said.
The changes come weeks after Barbara Williams, CBC’s executive vice-president of English services, announced 130 job cuts across the country. That included 58 news, current affairs and local positions, with most of them in Toronto.
The company cited higher costs and lower revenues as the reason for the cuts, precipitated by a $21-million budget deficit. That shortfall was, in particular, “due to declines in advertising and subscription revenues linked to our traditional television business,” Williams wrote in a letter to staff.
Sony shares pop on strong outlook. One analyst predicts it could rise another 50% – CNBC
Ottawa Public Health flu shot clinics open, new appointments available at 9 a.m. – CTV News
NASA’s Hubble Telescope Captures a Rare Metal Asteroid Worth 70,000 Times the Global Economy – Robb Report
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Tech15 hours ago
AMD’s new Radeon RX 6800 XT promises to go head to head with Nvidia’s RTX 3080 – The Verge
- News23 hours ago
Canada quietly prepares for the possible challenges of a Biden presidency – CBC.ca
- Tech23 hours ago
iPhone 12 Pro has killer hidden performance — what you need to know – Tom's Guide
- Economy18 hours ago
Canadian economy won’t fully recover from COVID-19 until 2022: Bank of Canada
- Sports20 hours ago
Kansas City mayor, star quarterback want Raptors to make Missouri temporary home – CityNews Toronto
- Science19 hours ago
3 reasons the Arctic freeze is unseasonably late and why it matters
- Business18 hours ago
Boeing to cut 20% of workforce by end of 2021
- Investment15 hours ago
Deutsche Bank upbeat on investment bank revenue – MarketWatch