(Corrects spelling of Perrine to Perrin in paragraph 8 and Gearing to Gerling in paragraph 10)
MONTREAL (Reuters) -Dockworkers at Canada‘s second-largest port on Monday began their second strike in less than a year, as business leaders urged Ottawa to quickly end a walkout they said could cost the economy C$25 million ($20 million) a day.
The federal Liberal government said on Sunday it would introduce special legislation to end the strike at the Port of Montreal, hoping to stop it from hurting the economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Unionized workers, in talks for a new contract since 2018, started a partial strike last week and warned they were prepared to walk off the job completely to protest changes to their work schedule.
The center-left minority Liberal government needs the support of one opposition party to push through the legislation. The left-leaning New Democrats and Bloc Quebecois both said they would not support it.
The official opposition Conservatives, who have generally supported the idea of forcing an end to strikes in key industries, said they would study the law before deciding.
Both sides said they were meeting on Monday with a federal mediator.
The Canadian Union of Public Employees Quebec’s 1,125 longshore workers had already refused to work weekends and nights after rejecting an offer in March from the Maritime Employers Association.
“A labor stoppage would not only prevent goods from passing through the port but would also create congestion at other ports,” said Perrin Beatty, chief executive of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.
The Montreal Port Authority said it handles C$275 million worth of goods daily.
“This strike is going to have massive detrimental effects on the Canadian agricultural sector,” said Dwight Gerling, president of DG Global, a major shipper of soybeans.
The dockworkers’ last strike in August 2020 lasted 19 days and had a ripple effect on supply chains.
($1 = 1.2438 Canadian dollars)
(Reporting By Allison Lampert in Montreal. Additional reporting by Rod Nickel in Winnipeg and David Ljunggren in OttawaEditing by Bernadette Baum, Paul Simao and David Gregorio)
Basketball trailblazer denied Canadian permanent residency, must return to U.S. – CBC.ca
Bilquis Abdul-Qaadir, the trailblazing basketball player who set up an academy for girls and coached multiple sports at an Islamic school in London, Ont., has been denied permanent residency in Canada and will have to go back to the United States.
“We’ve been here for two years, my son is Canadian, and we would love to be part of this country, but we finally got the message from immigration that we were denied permanent residency. It’s very unexpected,” said Abdul Qaadir from her London home. “I’m at a loss for words. I’ve single-handedly brought sports to an underserviced community. It’s heartbreaking.”
Abdul-Qaadir and her husband, A.W. Massey, moved to London from Tennessee three years ago.
She said she hasn’t been able to work in Canada since August, when her work permit expired and wasn’t renewed by a Canadian border official.
“We’re still trying to figure out what we’re going to do. We aren’t sure. We’re angry and we’re tired. We put our heart and soul into this application. We felt like we checked all the boxes.”
Abdul-Qaadir led a four-year battle against the International Basketball Federation, which banned religious head coverings on the court. She won, but sacrificed her basketball career to do so.
She had been the leading high school point scorer for both boys and girls in Massachusetts, and went on to play for the University of Memphis in Tennessee, where she was the first woman to play in a hijab in NCAA Division 1.
Alongside her motivational speaking gigs, she teaches at the London Islamic School and has opened a basketball academy in London, but all that is now up in the air.
After waiting an entire year, my Canadian permanent residency application was refused because the <a href=”https://twitter.com/CitImmCanada?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@CitImmCanada</a>’s officer felt that my job duties as Athletic Director at the Mosque/Private School in London ON, wasn’t adequate work.
On Thursday, Abdul-Qaadir got a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that said she doesn’t “meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.”
She applied for permanent residency as an athletic director at the London Muslim Mosque, but her duties — including developing, managing and supervising the school’s physical education and athletic programs, as well as being the head coach for the basketball, volleyball and cross-country teams — are “inconsistent with the actions” of an athletic director.
“I am not satisfied that your stated duties is sufficient to indicate that your role involves plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of comprehensive fitness programs at this organization. I am also not satisfied that you performed a substantial number of the main duties for this [job classification],” IRCC wrote in her letter.
Abdul-Qaadir said she doesn’t know if she and her husband will fight the refusal.
For more stories about the experiences of Black Canadians — from anti-Black racism to success stories within the Black community — check out Being Black in Canada, a CBC project Black Canadians can be proud of. You can read more stories here.
Mastercard expands cryptocurrency services with wallets, loyalty rewards
Mastercard Inc said on Monday it would allow partners on its network to enable their consumers to buy, sell and hold cryptocurrency using a digital wallet, as well as reward them with digital currencies under loyalty programs.
The credit card giant said it would offer these services in partnership with Bakkt Holdings Inc, the digital assets platform founded by NYSE-owner Intercontinental Exchange.
Founded in 2018, Bakkt went public earlier this year through a $2.1 billion merger with a blank-check company. Shares of the company were up 77% at $16.19 on Monday.
Mastercard said its partners can also allow customers earn and spend rewards in cryptocurrency instead of loyalty points.
The company had said in February https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currency-mastercard-idUSKBN2AA2WF it would begin offering support for some cryptocurrencies on its network this year.
Last year, rival Visa Inc had partnered https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blockfi-crypto-currency-visa-idUSKBN28B603 with cryptocurrency startup BlockFi to offer a credit card that lets users earn bitcoin on purchases.
Bitcoin, the world’s largest cryptocurrency, touched a record high of $67,016 last week after the debut of the first U.S. bitcoin futures-based exchange traded fund. It has more than doubled in value this year.
(Reporting by Niket Nishant in Bengaluru; Editing by Ramakrishnan M.)
Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou returns to work in Shenzhen, after extradition drama – Global Times
Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei Technologies, returned to work at the tech giant’s headquarters in Shenzhen on Monday after almost three years fighting extradition to the U.S. in Canada, state-backed Chinese newspaper Global Times reported.
Meng, the daughter of Huawei’s founder Ren Zhengfei, completed three weeks of quarantine last week after returning to the southern city of Shenzhen where a crowd of well-wishers chanting patriotic slogans awaited her at the airport.
“Over the last three years, although we have struggled, we have overcome obstacles and our team has fought with more and more courage,” she said in a speech at an internal company event that was circulated online.
The extradition drama had been a central source of discord between Beijing and Washington, with Chinese officials signalling that the case had to be dropped to help end a diplomatic stalemate.
Meng was detained in December 2018 in Vancouver after a New York court issued an arrest warrant, saying she tried to cover up attempts by Huawei-linked companies to sell equipment to Iran in breach of U.S. sanctions.
She was allowed to go home after reaching an agreement https://www.reuters.com/technology/huawei-cfo-meng-appear-court-expected-reach-agreement-with-us-source-2021-09-24 with U.S. prosecutors last month to end a bank fraud case against her.
(Reporting by David Kirton; Editing by Kirsten Donovan)
Sir David Amess: Priest quits social media over MP last rites abuse – BBC News
Media Advisory: Minister Abbott to Introduce New Accessibility Legislation – News Releases – Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
Brown Bolsters Student Financial Aid After 52% Investment Return – BNN
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Sports15 hours ago
Time For Maple Leafs To Admit The Kyle Dubas Experiment Has Failed – The Hockey Writers
Economy17 hours ago
Dollar catches footing as inflation pressures rates outlook
Business17 hours ago
Tesco says online services back up after interference ‘attempt’
Tech17 hours ago
Hal-Con in-person format returns, focuses on local talent and vendors – Global News
Health17 hours ago
Red Cross urges action for Papua New Guinea as COVID-19 overwhelms health system
News24 hours ago
Nail bomb kills one at restaurant in Ugandan capital
Health24 hours ago
Fauci says vaccines for kids between 5-11 likely available in November
Health20 hours ago
Today’s coronavirus news: Ontario reports 370 new cases of COVID-19, 1 death; Parents more hesitant to vaccinate kids than themselves, researcher says – Toronto Star