Connect with us

Sports

Canadiens Game Day: Ben Chiarot returning home to have injured hand evaluated – Montreal Gazette

Published

 on


Defenceman injured his right hand during fight with Canucks’ J.T. Miller in first period of Wednesday night’s 5-1 win over Canucks.

Article content

The Canadiens announced Thursday that defenceman Ben Chiarot was flying back to Montreal for further medical evaluation after injuring his right hand during Wednesday night’s 5-1 win over the Canucks in Vancouver.

With the score tied 0-0 at the 15:02 mark of the first period Wednesday night, Chiarot and the Canucks’ J.T. Miller suddenly squared off for a fight after the puck dropped for a faceoff outside the Vancouver blue line.

There didn’t seem to be any reason for the staged fight with Chiarot landing a solid right hand to the middle of Miller’s visor. Chiarot immediately left for the locker room, throwing his helmet to the ground on the way and then looking at his injured hand. He did not return to the game.

“(Miller) just came off the bench and asked Ben to fight,” Canadiens captain Shea Weber said after the game. “Ben stood up for himself and our team and, obviously, the boys fed off of that and ended up scoring shortly after that. So it was a great job by him.”

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Jesperi Kotkaniemi opened the scoring for the Canadiens 32 seconds after the fight.

As a rookie with the Winnipeg Jets in 2014-15, Chiarot broke his left hand in a fight and ended up missing 16 games.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Victor Mete is expected to take Chiarot’s spot in the lineup Thursday night when the Canadiens play the Flames in Calgary (9 p.m., TSN2, RDS, TSN 690 Radio). Mete has only played five games this season.

“It’s nice to have Victor,” head coach Dominique Ducharme said after Wednesday night’s game. “He’s got experience and we know what he can bring. He knows what we’re expecting of him. We’re comfortable. We have good depth and that’s the reason.”

Mete has experience playing with Shea Weber, who was Chiarot’s partner.

The Canadiens flew to Calgary after Wednesday night’s game, arriving around 2:30 a.m., and won’t hold a morning skate on Thursday. Ducharme is scheduled to do a video conference with the media at 7 p.m. ET.

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

With the back-to-back games, expect Jake Allen to start in goal for the Canadiens. Allen has a 4-2-3 record with a 2.31 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage. The Canadiens were shut out in both of his regulation-time losses.

Carey Price has started the last three games for the Canadiens and has allowed only one goal in each of his last four starts. He now has a 8-4-4 record with a 2.59 goals-against average and a .906 save percentage.

The Canadiens are in fourth place in the North Division with a 12-6-7 record, including 7-1-6 on the road. They are 5-0-2 in seven games against Vancouver while outscoring the Canucks 34-19.

The Canadiens have only played the Flames twice so far this season, winning 4-2 and losing 2-0 in back-to-back games at the Bell Centre at the end of January.

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

This Game Day notebook will be updated after Ducharme speaks with the media and again after Thursday night’s game.

Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

What’s next?

The Canadiens will have a day off on Friday before playing the Flames again Saturday night at the Saddledome (7 p.m., SNE, CITY, TVA Sports, TSN 690 Radio, 98.5 FM).

Next week, the Canadiens will play the Jets in Winnipeg on Monday (8 p.m., TSN2, RDS, TSN 690 Radio, 98.5 FM) and Wednesday (9 p.m., TSN2, RDS, TSN 690 Radio, 98.5 FM), before returning to Montreal for six straight games at the Bell Centre.

scowan@postmedia.com

twitter.com/StuCowan1

  1. The old Forum stands mostly empty on Tuesday March 9, some 25 years after the last NHL game was played on its ice.

    Stu Cowan: Joyous memories remain, but Montreal Forum now a sad sight

  2. The Canadiens’ Phillip Danault celebrates after scoring his first goal of the season in a 5-1 win over the Canucks Wednesday night in Vancouver.

    Canadiens Game Day: Habs totally dominate Canucks in 5-1 win

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

UEFA threaten to ban breakaway clubs from all competitions

Published

 on

By Simon Evans

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – European soccer‘s governing body UEFA has warned clubs linked to a breakaway Super League that they face being banned from domestic and international competitions if they set up a rival to the Champions League.

In a joint statement https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-12121411400e-7897186e699a-1000–statement-by-uefa-english-fa-rfef-figc-premier-league-laliga-le with Spanish, English and Italian leagues and federations, UEFA said it will consider “all measures”, including the courts and bans from domestic leagues, in opposition to plans for a breakaway competition.

UEFA said it had learnt that clubs from those countries “may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League”.

“If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we….(and) also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever,” UEFA said.

“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way,” the statement added.

In January, FIFA had said that a breakaway league would not be recognised and that “any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation” – meaning players would be banned from the World Cup.

Sunday’s UEFA statement said: “The clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

“We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.”

 

(Reporting by Simon Evans, editing by Ed Osmond and Christian Radnedge)

Continue Reading

Sports

Netherlands and Poland seal narrow Billie Jean King Cup playoff wins

Published

 on

(Reuters) – The Netherlands and Poland both needed deciding doubles wins to battle through their Billie Jean King Cup playoffs on Saturday but Britain, Italy and Canada all enjoyed easier passages.

In Den Bosch, the Dutch were without world number 11 Kiki Bertens for the second day because of injury and found themselves trailing China 2-1 after Wang Xiyu beat Lesley Kerkhove in Saturday’s opening singles.

But Aranxta Rus beat Wang Xinyu to level the tie and then teamed up with Demi Schuurs to defeat Zhang Shuai and Zu Yifan to send the hosts through.

It was equally tight in Poland where the hosts were pushed to the brink by Brazil.

Brazil’s Carolina Meligeni Alves took the tie into a deciding doubles with a win over Katarzyna Kawa but the Poles prevailed 3-2 as Kawa and Magdalena Frech came back from a set down to beat Meligeni Alves and Luisa Stefani.

Kazakhstan also won a deciding rubber to see off Argentina.

Britain led 2-0 overnight against Mexico in London but Marcela Zacarias beat Heather Watson to keep alive the tie.

Katie Boulter proved too strong for Giuliana Olmos though to clinch the tie for the hosts.

Italy beat Romania 3-1 while Canada‘s teenager Leylah Annie Fernandez sealed her country’s path as she gave her side an unassailable 3-0 lead over Serbia thanks to a three-set win over Nina Stojanovic.

Ukraine eased past Japan 4-0 while Anastasija Sevastova secured Latvia’s 3-1 victory over India.

The eight winners move forward to next year’s qualifying round where they will hope to reach the 2022 Billie Jean King Cup Finals.

The old Fed Cup was re-branded last year and named after the American great and 12-times Grand Slam singles champion who won the inaugural tournament nearly 60 years ago.

This year’s 12-team Finals were postponed because of the pandemic and a new date has yet to be finalised.

 

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; editing by Clare Fallon)

Continue Reading

Sports

Motor racing-Canadian Grand Prix cancelled for second year

Published

 on

(Reuters) -The Canadian Grand Prix scheduled for June 13 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal has been cancelled for the second year in a row, CBC Radio reported on Thursday although Formula One said discussions remained ongoing.

With the spread of new COVID-19 variants and Canada battling to contain a third wave of the virus, Montreal public health authorities concluded that even if run behind closed doors without spectators the risks were too high, reported the CBC.

F1 officials, according to the CBC, wanted to bypass the mandatory 14-day quarantine for the hundreds of staff, crew members and drivers and rely on private medical staff and have the entire operation run in a bubble.

The race is scheduled to follow on immediately from Azerbaijan, whose grand prix is scheduled for June 6 in Baku and is due to go ahead after also being cancelled last year.

“We are continuing our discussions with the promoter in Canada and have no further comment,” an F1 spokesperson told Reuters.

The Autosport website quoted a spokesperson for the Canadian promoter as saying the radio report referred to “a document of recommendations from public health.

“We as an organisation have not had confirmation from our public health officials and won’t comment until we get an official confirmation.”

Canada, with some of the world’s toughest travel rules, obliges its citizens and residents arriving from abroad to self-isolate for 14 days.

International arrivals are required to quarantine for up to three days in a hotel.

One of Canada‘s biggest sporting events, it would mark the second consecutive year the grand prix has been removed from the F1 schedule due to the spread of COVID-19.

Media reports have suggested Turkey is on standby to be slotted in as Canada‘s replacement.

The Istanbul circuit is logistically convenient for freight coming from Baku and was brought in last year also at short notice to bolster a calendar ravaged by the pandemic.

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto/Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Continue Reading

Trending