MIAMI — Following an ugly first debate with U.S. President Donald Trump Tuesday night in Cleveland, Joe Biden’s campaign quickly moved to squash pundits’ talk of cancelling upcoming meetings with the president in Miami and Nashville.
“Joe Biden’s going to show up,” Kate Bedingfield, Biden’s deputy campaign manager, said during a call with reporters held late Tuesday night after the debate. “He’s going to continue speaking to the American people.”
Biden, the former vice-president, and Trump are set to meet again Oct. 15 in Miami for a socially distanced debate at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. They will share the stage with undecided voters and take questions from them.
“Real voters are going to have the chance to engage the candidates. Biden obviously relishes any opportunity to talk directly with voters as something he prioritizes on the campaign trail,” Bedingfield said when asked whether Biden believed it was still “worth” debating Trump in Miami. “There’s an open question here based on what we saw from Donald Trump tonight: Is he going to bully actual voters? Is he going to insult his way through the next debate?”
Tuesday’s debate in Cleveland, held without fact-checking, was the first meeting between the Republican and Democratic presidential nominees. It began without a handshake, an unusual move attributed to concerns about the spread of coronavirus.
But it proved symbolic.
Trump repeatedly interrupted and talked over Biden, and told him, “There’s nothing smart about you.” Biden told Trump at one point to “shut up,” and later called him a “clown.”
Trump interrupted so frequently that moderator Chris Wallace of Fox News stopped the debate to ask the president to abide by the rules his campaign agreed to when the debate was established. “Why don’t you observe what your campaign agreed to as a ground rule, OK sir?” Wallace asked.
The event was widely panned as the “worst debate ever.”
Biden and Trump said Wednesday they’ll continue debating.
“I would like to,” Trump told reporters outside the White House. “By every measure we won the debate easily last night. He was very weak. He looked weak. He was whining.”
Trump said he’d received good feedback. But the rules could change for the Miami debate, which will be moderated by C-SPAN’s Steve Scully.
The Commission on Presidential Debates, which sponsors the events, issued a statement Wednesday saying the organization “intends to ensure that additional tools to maintain order are in place for the remaining debates.”
“Last night’s debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues,” the organization said.
One possibility being discussed, an anonymous source told the Associated Press, is to give the moderator the ability to cut off the microphones being used by Trump and Biden.
Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh criticized the announcement Wednesday and accused the commission of being biased.
“They’re only doing this because their guy got pummelled last night,” Murtaugh said. “President Trump was the dominant force and now Joe Biden is trying to work the refs. They shouldn’t be moving the goalposts and changing the rules in the middle of the game.”
— Miami Herald
2,145 more coronavirus cases confirmed as Canadian total pushes past 215,000 – Global News
Canada added 2,145 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus to its nationwide tally on Sunday, along with 24 more deaths.
So far, 215,884 people in Canada have tested positive for the virus, while the country’s death toll stands at 9,946. Since the pandemic began, 181,429 people have recovered after falling ill and more than 11.1 million tests have been administered.
Sunday’s numbers represent a partial update on the pandemic because B.C., Alberta, P.E.I. and the territories only provide new figures on weekdays.
Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam said the latest national data showed Canada was averaging 2,488 newly confirmed cases and 74,719 tests conducted per day, Of those tested, she said 3.1 per cent resulted in a positive diagnosis.
“Outbreaks continue to contribute to COVID-19 spread in Canada,” Tam said in a statement.
“These vary in size from just a few cases to larger clusters occurring in a range of settings including long term care and assisted living facilities, schools, congregate living settings, industrial work settings and large social gatherings.”
Travel agency plans to extend Atlantic bubble to Cuba
In Quebec — the country’s viral epicentre — health officials reported 879 new cases of COVID-19, tipping the provincial total past 100,000.
They added 11 more people had died, moving the number of deaths in the province up to 6,143.
As of Sunday, 84,828 people residing in the province had recovered and more than 2.9 million COVID-19 tests had been administered.
Ontario health officials detected 1,042 more infections of the virus, setting a new single-day record, and said seven more people had died.
Since the pandemic began, the province has confirmed 70,373 cases of COVID-19 and 3,093 deaths.
More than 4.9 million tests for the virus have been conducted while 60,160 people are in recovery.
In the wake of the province’s grim milestone, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott urged Canadians to follow public health guidelines and reduce the curve in a series of posts on Twitter.
“We all need to do our part to #StopTheSpread of #COVID19,” she tweeted.
Sixty more people were diagnosed with COVID-19 in Saskatchewan, bringing the province’s national number to 2,729. So far, 25 people in the province have died from the virus, 2,085 have recovered and 247,909 tests have been administered by provincial health authorities. Twenty five people are in hospital and 619 cases are active.
The number of active cases and hospitalizations are at their highest levels seen in the province.
Scott Moe, who is seeking reelection as premier this week, said during a campaign stop on Saturday that the spread of the coronavirus could be curbed without having to resort to shutdowns.
“We will not have to have an economy-wide shutdown. We understand the virus much better,” he said.
How to prepare your child for a COVID-19 nasal swab
In Manitoba, health authorities said four more people had died and 161 new cases of COVID-19 were detected. Since the start of the pandemic, the province has reported 4,249 cases and 54 deaths.
By Sunday, 2,142 people had recovered after falling ill and officials conducted 240,639 tests.
Two more COVID-19-related deaths were recorded in New Brunswick on Sunday.
“I extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the individuals, as well as to all of those in the Campbellton-Restigouche and Moncton regions,” chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell said in a statement.
“Kindness and compassion, along with strict adherence to two-metre distancing, and mask use are how we will get through this together.”
The province also reported two new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 328 confirmed infections and six deaths. So far, 96,747 tests have been administered and 257 of the province’s confirmed cases are considered resolved.
Newfoundland and Labrador reported one more case of the virus on Sunday, bringing its total to 280. The case is tied to travel, officials said.
Among the provinces that provided updates on Saturday, Nova Scotia was the only one that did not see any new cases. The cumulative total stands at 1,110 infections, only six of which are currently active.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
COVID-19 Official Update by the Chief Public Health Officer Read more Skip – eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News
Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement today:
“As the resurgence of COVID-19 activity continues in Canada, we are tracking a range of epidemiological indicators to monitor where the disease is most active, where it is spreading and how it is impacting the health of Canadians and public health, laboratory and healthcare capacity. The following is the latest summary on national numbers and trends, and the actions we all need to be taking to maintain COVID-19 at manageable levels across the country.
Since the first cases were reported in March 2020, there have been 213,959 cases of COVID-19, including 9,922 deaths reported in Canada; these cumulative numbers tell us about the overall burden of COVID-19 illness to date. Though the cumulative number is high and continues to increase, it is important to remember that the vast majority of Canadians remain susceptible to COVID-19. This is why it is important for everyone to continue with individual precautions that will keep ourselves, our families and our communities safer.
At this time, there are 24,401 active cases across the country. The latest national-level data indicate daily averages of 2,488 new cases (Oct 16-22) and 74,719 people tested, with 3.1% testing positive (Oct 11-17). Outbreaks continue to contribute to COVID-19 spread in Canada. These vary in size from just a few cases to larger clusters occurring in a range of settings including long term care and assisted living facilities, schools, congregate living settings, industrial work settings and large social gatherings. Larger clusters tell us that closed and crowded settings and/or not sufficiently maintaining public health practises, such as physical distancing and mask wearing, can amplify spread of the virus.
While I know keeping physically apart is difficult, particularly when we want to mark life’s important moments like weddings and funerals, now is not the time for hosting large in-person gatherings. Right now, doing the best thing to keep our family, friends and community safer means keeping safely apart, connecting virtually, and finding safer ways to care and support each other.
The number of people experiencing severe illness continues to increase. Provincial and territorial data, indicate that an average of 1,010 people with COVID-19 were being treated in Canadian hospitals each day during the most recent 7-day period (Oct 16-22), including 209 of whom were being treated in intensive care units. During the same period, there were an average of 23 COVID-19-related deaths reported daily.
As hospitalisations and deaths tend to lag behind increased disease activity by one to several weeks, the concern is that we have yet to see the extent of severe impacts associated with the ongoing increase in COVID-19 disease activity. As well, influenza and respiratory infections typically increase during the Fall and Winter, placing increased demands on hospitals. This is why it is so important for people of all ages to maintain public health practises that keep respiratory infection rates low.
Canada needs a collective effort to sustain the public health response through to the end of the pandemic, while balancing the health, social and economic consequences. We can all do our part by keeping our number of in-person close contacts low and committing to proven effective public health practises; stay home/self-isolate if you have any symptoms, maintain physical distancing, wear a face mask as appropriate, and keep up with hand, cough and surface hygiene. Canadians can also go the extra mile by sharing credible information on COVID-19 risks and prevention practises and measures to reduce COVID-19 in communities and by downloading the COVID Alert app to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
Coronavirus cases surpass 100,000 in Quebec – CTV News Montreal
The number of confirmed COVID-19 positive cases in Quebec surpassed 100,000 Sunday, as the province reported reported that 879 more people have tested positive in the past 24 hours.
The total number of positive cases in Quebec is now 100,114 since the start of the pandemic.
Authorities are reporting that five more people have died due to the disease since Saturday. Additionally, five deaths occurred between Oct. 18 and Oct. 23, and one who died at an unknown date.
Four of the deaths were reported in Monteregie (687 total), three in Chaudiere-Appalaches (57 total) and one in Estrie (36 total), Montreal (3,515 total), Outaouais (39 total) and Laval (707 total).
The vast majority (92 per cent) of those who have died due to the disease were over 70, according to Quebec.
The total number of deaths due to COVID-19 in the province is now 6,143.
Montreal reported its lowest daily increase since Sept. 21 with 146 new positive tests (40,869 total), and was lower than Monteregie which reported 162 new positive cases (14,657 total). Quebec City reported 116 new cases (8,233 total), while Chaudiere-Appalaches with 90 new cases (3,139 total) and Lanaudiere with 89 new cases (6,705 total) also had significant increases.
Authorities also announced that two more people are receiving treatment for COVID-19 in Quebec hospitals for a total of 551. Of those, 97 people are in the intensive care ward, an increase of four.
The National Institute of Public Health also reported that 1,009 more people have recovered from the disease bringing that total to 84,828.
Health-care professionals analyzed 25,378 samples Oct. 23. (Quebec releases testing data from two days prior to its daily updates.
Across Canada, 216,043 cases of COVID-19 have been reported since the start of the pandemic, including 9,946 deaths.
The authorities remain concerned about the situation.
“Given that hospitalizations and deaths tend to occur one to several weeks after increased transmission of the disease, it is concerning that we have yet to experience the magnitude of the severe impact associated with the continued increase in transmission of COVID-19,” said Canadian director of public health Dr. Theresa Tam.
Here is the distribution of cases across the country since the start of the pandemic, according to the most recent provincial and territorial reports:
- Quebec: 100,114 confirmed (including 6,143 deaths, 84,828 resolved)
- Ontario: 70,373 confirmed (including 3,093 deaths, 60,160 resolved)
- Alberta: 24,261 confirmed (including 300 deaths, 20,310 resolved)
- British Columbia: 12,554 confirmed (including 256 deaths, 10,247 resolved)
- Manitoba: 4,249 confirmed (including 54 deaths, 2,142 resolved)
- Saskatchewan: 2,669 confirmed (including 25 deaths, 2,070 resolved)
- Nova Scotia: 1,100 confirmed (including 65 deaths, 1,029 resolved)
- New Brunswick: 328 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 257 resolved)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: 290 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 275 resolved)
- Prince Edward Island: 64 confirmed (including 63 resolved)
- Yukon: 20 confirmed (including 15 resolved)
- Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed (including 13 resolved)
- Northwest Territories: 5 confirmed (including 5 resolved), 3 presumptive
- Nunavut: No confirmed cases
Students learn provincial politics in mock vote at Saskatchewan schools – Global News
QYOU Media: At The Forefront Of The Influencer Marketing Trend – The Deep Dive
Lewis Hamilton overtakes Schumacher with record 92nd F1 win – Al Jazeera English
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Politics22 hours ago
'Escape the politics': B.C. clinics headhunt Alberta doctors – Calgary Herald
- Tech23 hours ago
Among Us Hacker: Who is Eris Loris & how to respond to his Among Us hack /spam attack
- Economy18 hours ago
Time to Reset Expectations for World Economy With Virus Untamed
- News19 hours ago
Ontario reports record 978 new COVID-19 cases
- Economy19 hours ago
World Economy Gets Temperature Check Before U.S. Vote: Eco Week
- Media20 hours ago
Kelowna woman learns lesson from public shaming on social media
- Tech19 hours ago
MagSafe Chargers Might Leave Imprints on Leather Cases, Warns Apple
- Health19 hours ago
COVID infections in B.C. remain at elevated levels on Friday with 223 new cases