Connect with us

Media

Chinese Media Denounce Pompeo Allegation That Coronavirus Can Be Traced to Wuhan Lab – The Wall Street Journal

Published

on


U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has taken hawkish stands on China’s human-rights record and its military activities.



Photo:

andrew harnik/press pool

The heightened allegation by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that the coronavirus pandemic can be traced to a Chinese laboratory sparked an angry response by China’s media on Monday in the absence of any official government comment during a national holiday.

The Trump administration in recent days has accused China of a lack of transparency about the origin of the outbreak that has worsened its global death toll. Mr. Pompeo on Sunday placed direct blame on a laboratory in Wuhan where the coronavirus was first identified late last year.

The Wuhan Institute of Virology, a Chinese government-run research center that has actively studied coronaviruses, has drawn global scrutiny because it has actively studied the origin of such disease in bats.

China has denied allegations its facilities were to blame and says the government’s response to the outbreak was comprehensive and saved lives around the world, a message repeated through state run media on Monday.

The official news agency Xinhua on Monday accused Mr. Pompeo of speaking “nonsense” and telling “lies,” while a news reader on China Central Television called the secretary “evil” and said he was “spitting poison.”

Related Video

The novel coronavirus has escalated tensions between the U.S. and China in ways that will likely linger after the virus is contained. WSJ’s Gerald F. Seib explains. Photo: Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

The response followed Mr. Pompeo’s remarks on Sunday about the coronavirus: “I can tell you that there is a significant amount of evidence that this came from that laboratory in Wuhan,” he said on ABC’s “This Week” program. Mr. Pompeo didn’t describe the evidence.

To protest China’s handling of the outbreak, the Trump administration recently suspended support for the World Health Organization and last week said it would cut off funding to a long-running project to understand coronaviruses harbored in bats that was run in conjunction with the Wuhan institute.

China’s Foreign Ministry didn’t immediately respond to questions about Mr. Pompeo’s latest statement but in the past has dismissed any possibility of man-made errors in Wuhan. Asked last week about the lab during a regular press conference, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang pointed to comments from a top official of the Wuhan Institute of Virology, who had told domestic media that while it is understandable that people might raise questions about the labs, “there’s no way this virus came from us.”

Mr. Pompeo’s hawkish stands on China’s human-rights record and its military activities in the South China Seas have often put him at loggerheads with Beijing’s leadership. In Monday’s response to his comments on the lab, Xinhua described Mr. Pompeo as “one of the worst Secretaries of the State in American history.”

Write to James T. Areddy at james.areddy@wsj.com

Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

Social media helps solve mystery of lost camera found in Kelowna’s Mill Creek – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Brianna Irawan, 13, was extremely happy after finding out on Thursday that her prized underwater camera that had been lost for almost a year had been found in Kelowna’s Mill Creek.

The Williams Lake teen was visiting relatives in Kelowna last year when she lost the camera while jumping into the waterfalls at Mill Creek Regional Park.

“We were on Mill Creek, jumping into the water and I put my camera underneath my clothes,” Irawan told Global News on Friday.

“When I jumped, I forgot about my camera, so I walked back up and then I picked up my clothes and I forgot my camera was underneath and it fell into the water.”






2:01
Social media helps solve mystery of lost camera found in Kelowna’s Mill Creek


Social media helps solve mystery of lost camera found in Kelowna’s Mill Creek

READ MORE: Kelowna man finds digital camera in Mill Creek for second time

She went back the creek several times over the next few days, but eventually had to write her camera off to the river gods.

Story continues below advertisement

The Fujifilm XP model wasn’t seen again until almost a year later when Calvin Van Buskirk found it caught up in some debris downstream.

“What makes it even more interesting is we found a GoPro there last year. You guys [Global News] were able to get the images and the videos off it within hours it found its way back to its rightful owner,” Van Buskirk said.






1:52
Construction crew makes unusual find near Kelowna


Construction crew makes unusual find near Kelowna

It took less than 24 hours for images retrieved from the camera to make their way around social media and back to their owner.

Story continues below advertisement

Kyla Irawan, Brianna’s mother, sent a message to Global News on Thursday afternoon through Facebook to say the photos had come from her daughter.

On Friday, Global News returned the camera — still in working order — to Brianna’s uncle, Travis Whiting, who is also Kelowna’s fire chief.






2:43
‘This is the craziest thing,’: Lost GoPro owner reunited with camera


‘This is the craziest thing,’: Lost GoPro owner reunited with camera

The Irawans shared a message of gratitude with Van Buskirk.

“Thank you, Calvin, we totally appreciate your honesty,” said Kyla Irawan.

“Thank you for putting it on Global so I can give my daughter the opportunity to have all those memories back.”

For her part, Brianna said she can’t wait to see her FujiFilm XP model again.

Story continues below advertisement

“Soon as I get it, I’m going to transfer the photos” to a computer, she said.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Former UBC basketball assistant coach criticized for social media activity – The Province

Published

on


Long-time assistant men’s basketball coach Vern Knopp will no longer work next to head coach Kevin Hanson.

The University of B.C. is distancing itself from former assistant men’s basketball coach Vern Knopp following questions about some of his activity on social media.

A Twitter account called Muted Madness pointed out on Thursday that Knopp had hit the like button on a video posted by conservative comedians the Hodge Twins on June 3 that claims the Black Lives Matter movement is a “leftist lie.”

A number of other Twitter users echoed the criticism of Knopp, who served as head coach Kevin Hanson’s volunteer assistant for the past two decades.

Later on Thursday, he shared a comment on his account, which is set to private: “So I never knew some likes to conservative posts would cause this shit storm? However my LIKES are those of mine and have nothing to do with UBC! I had told Coach Hanson months ago that I wasn’t returning to UBC but I just not (sic) made it public, only to my family.”

Reached via direct message on Friday, Knopp said he’d told Hanson about his decision in May as well as some parents on the team, but declined to make further comment.

Later on Thursday, Kavie Toor, UBC Athletics’ managing director, distanced the university from Knopp.

“Vern Knopp’s personal opinions, beliefs and social media endorsements do not represent the ideals and values of the UBC Thunderbirds. Vern Knopp is no longer a member of the Thunderbrids men’s basketball coaching staff,” he tweeted.

On Friday, the university’s athletics department declined to comment further.

The Alma Mater Society, a UBC students’ union, expressed support for the university’s position.

“The AMS is committed to supporting students from the Black community at this time, and we are actively working to develop programming to help combat anti-Black racism at UBC. The sentiments expressed by Mr. Knopp have absolutely no place at UBC, and society in general,” they said in a statement.

“We are encouraged to see that UBC Athletics and Recreation has taken a zero-tolerance approach to this issue.”

On Tuesday, the department shared a message on Twitter from university president Santa Ono.

“As Thunderbirds we join all of UBC in condemning racism in all forms. We are committed to an inclusive and respectful environment where we listen, learn and continue to grow together,” the department said in a tweet.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

twitter.com/risingaction


CLICK HERE to report a typo.

Is there more to this story? We’d like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email vantips@postmedia.com.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Saskatoon police Cst. placed on leave in connection with 'concerning' social media posts – CKOM News Talk Sports

Published

on


The Saskatoon Police Service has placed a constable on administrative leave regarding concerning posts on their personal social media account.

On Friday morning, police say they were notified about private posts that a member is accused of making on his personal social media account.

Police say the posts were harmful and offensive to the gender and sexually diverse community.

As a result, the member was immediately placed on administrative leave and an investigation was initiated regarding his conduct.

In a release, Chief of Police Troy Cooper said, “The relationship we have with the gender and sexually diverse community is incredibly important to the Saskatoon Police Service. I was to assure the public that we take these complaints seriously. We have acted swiftly to address the issue and a thorough investigation will occur.”

The 12-year member will remain on administrative leave while an investigation takes place.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending