The province announced on Sunday that three COVID-19 cases previously identified in the Prairie Mountain Health region have been linked to a unit on the second floor of the Brandon Regional Health Centre’s Assiniboine Centre.
As such, the site has initiated outbreak protocols on this floor to reduce the spread of infection to hospital patients and staff. This means that visitations will be restricted now that the floor is designated as threat-level red (critical) under the province’s new Pandemic Response system.
Sunday’s news release went on to claim that all this information has already been shared with close contacts of the infected, including family members and fellow staff.
However, Andrea Playter told the Sun that the BRHC’s communication with families of patients has been very poor in light of this news.
The Minnedosa resident said she is particularly concerned about the health of her 78-year-old father, who was administered to the hospital after suffering a stroke earlier this month.
“We can’t go in and see him. We’re told nothing and I’m really, really afraid that the next phone call we’re going to get is to tell us that … our dad contracted COVID and then died alone,” she said on Sunday afternoon. “We’re just sort of sitting in limbo, and he seems to be deteriorating physically.”
This revelation about the three cases at BRHC comes days after the province previously announced that COVID-19 cases have been linked to two personal care homes in Brandon: Hillcrest Place and Rideau Park. Both facilities have also been place under threat-level red.
Moving into this week, Michelle Gawronsky from the Manitoba Government and General Employees’ Union said she will be keeping a close eye on the BRHC and other health-care facilities in the region to make sure that they are abiding by the current provincial health protocols.
“If it’s PPE or it’s a non-medical mask, the expectation is that the employer has them available, and the expectation from our members is that you will wear them, and that is how we are going to protect each other,” Gawronsky said on Sunday.
Otherwise, the province announced 90 more coronavirus cases over the weekend — 55 on Saturday and 35 on Sunday — bringing the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba up to 1,186.
Of these 90 cases, almost half came from the PMH region, with 31 having been announced on Saturday and 12 on Sunday.
Preliminary investigations suggest that eight of the cases announced on Sunday are close contacts of previously announced cases.
Right now, Manitoba is contending with 462 active cases and a five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate of 2.2 per cent.
Updated hospitalization and intensive care unit data was not made available on Sunday due to data system upgrades. The province expects this data will be available this afternoon.
As of Friday, five Manitobans were hospitalized due to the virus, with one individual being in intensive care. The province’s COVID-19 related death toll remains at 14.
An additional 1,542 laboratory tests were completed in Manitoba on Saturday, bringing the total number of tests completed since early February to 134,920.
» Twitter: @KyleDarbyson
Possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses: SHA – CTV News Saskatoon
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is warning of a possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses in the last week.
The SHA said a person or persons attended the following locations while likely infectious:
• Sept. 19 – Walmart Supercentre at 225 Betts Ave. in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.
• Sept. 22 – Planet Fitness at Market Mall on 2325 Preston Ave. S in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.
• Sept. 23 – KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive in Saskatoon from 5 to 10 p.m.
The SHA is advising anyone who was at these locations on the specified dates and times to self monitor for 14 days or immediately self isolate and call HealthLine 811 if they develop symptoms of COVID-19.
People may develop symptoms between two and 14 days after getting exposed to the virus, according to the SHA.
Coronavirus: 7 people linked to Toronto restaurant test positive, around 1,700 possibly exposed – Global News
Toronto Public Health (TPH) officials say seven people linked to a downtown restaurant have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and officials are now asking approximately 1,700 people to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
Officials said five staff members and two patrons of Yonge Street Warehouse — located near Yonge and Dundas streets — are confirmed to have contracted the virus.
All known close contacts of those individuals have been reached by TPH, officials said, adding that anyone who hasn’t been contacted is considered low risk.
TPH said the period for potential exposure is from Sept. 10 to 17 — it’s estimated around 1,700 people may have attended the restaurant during that time.
Anyone who was at the establishment during that period is being asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days since their last visit “as a precaution.”
“If symptoms develop, please contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate,” officials said.
“Please wear a mask when going for testing.”
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
7 COVID-19 cases linked to Yonge Street Warehouse – CBC.ca
Toronto Public Health (TPH) says seven people who have tested positive for COVID-19 went to a Yonge Street restaurant within the last month.
Of the seven, five are staff members and two are patrons. All of which attended Yonge Street Warehouse, at 336 Yonge St., between Sept. 10 and Sept. 17.
The health agency wants to notify staff and patrons who visited the restaurant during the 8-day period about a potential exposure to the virus.
TPH said they have followed up with all known close contacts and those individuals have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days and go for testing.
Around 1,700 people may have been at the venue during this time, TPH said, however, people not already contacted are viewed as low risk.
“If you were at the Yonge Street Warehouse between September 10 to 17 but have not been contacted by TPH, you are not identified as a close contact,” read a statement released on Saturday.
Nevertheless, the health agency is still urging anyone who was there during the exposure time to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after their last visit.
If symptoms develop, the agency asks you to contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate.
Kansas State rallies to stun No. 3 Oklahoma – TSN
NBA Finals 2020: LeBron James' 10th trip to the Finals is a reminder of his all-time greatness – NBA CA
Apple's Battle Royale With Epic Games Starts for Real Next Week – BNN
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- News18 hours ago
B.C. university launches 1st peace and reconciliation centre in Canada – CBC.ca
- Sports20 hours ago
Lightning-Stars stream: 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Final – NHL
- News24 hours ago
Liberals, NDP reach deal on sick leave, avoiding immediate election – CBC.ca
- Art21 hours ago
Oxygen Art Centre launches new adult classes – Nelson Star
- Health21 hours ago
JOHN DeMONT: COVID raising Nova Scotia's stock among remote workers – TheChronicleHerald.ca
- News20 hours ago
Crisis, what crisis? If Canada is in a 2nd COVID wave, N.L. is watching it from afar – CBC.ca
- Art19 hours ago
Black Lives Matter street art installations coming to Dartmouth, Halifax – CBC.ca
- Science19 hours ago
Canada's peatlands are tinderboxes that are more likely to ignite in a warming world – The Globe and Mail