Connect with us

Health

COVID-19: B.C. health officials confirm 90 new cases, two new deaths – The Kingston Whig-Standard

Published

on


Total cases in the province are up to 4,915, all but guaranteeing B.C. will surpass 5,000 cases over the weekend.

Provincial health officials announced another 90 cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia on Friday, as well as two additional deaths.

The latest update from Health Minister Adrian Dix and Dr. Réka Gustafson, the deputy provincial health officer, brings to end one of B.C.’s worst weeks since the pandemic began.

The death toll in B.C. climbed to 202 on Friday, one day after reaching the 200 mark. The province has now seen four coronavirus-related deaths in just two days.

Total cases in B.C. rose to 4,915, and it is a virtual certainty that the province will surpass 5,000 cases over the weekend.

There are now active 824 cases of COVID-19 in the province — the first time this number has surpassed 800.

As the Health Minister said Thursday, these round numbers aren’t significant in themselves, but they do tend to grab one’s attention.

Hospitalizations in B.C. continued to increase Friday. Two more individuals were admitted to hospital Friday and one is in critical care. Currently, 13 B.C. residents are hospitalized with COVID-19, five of whom are in the ICU.

So far, 3,889 people who tested positive have recovered. Another 2,594 people are under public health monitoring following exposure to known cases.

Nine B.C. health-care facilities are contending with outbreaks, a number that is unchanged from Thursday.

The most recent facility is the New Vista Care Home in Burnaby, where eight residents and six staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, according to an update released by the facility. Over 200 residents and staff have since been tested, and all residents have been isolated from one another and are taking their meals in their rooms.

Community exposure events continue to occur.

“COVID-19 is going to be with us for the foreseeable future,” the health officials said, in a news release. “What that means for British Columbians is that we are all learning to live our lives with the virus in our communities.


CLICK HERE to report a typo.

Is there more to this story? We’d like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email vantips@postmedia.com.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Alberta Health no longer recommending asymptomatic testing – Edmonton Journal

Published

on


Article content continued

“I know that this has been a long pandemic. But, we have learned much and today’s change is part of how we are continually updating our approach to incorporate what we learn,” said Hinshaw.

Alberta Health spokesman Tom McMillan said they will be operating on an honour system and Albertans will be asked if they are symptomatic or part of one of the target groups.

“We are confident that Albertans will follow this recommendation, just as they have followed all public health advice,” said McMillan in an email.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, provincial labs have completed 1,169,378 tests, including 13,003 that were completed on Wednesday.

In a letter to the prime minister requesting federal funds, Premier Jason Kenney said federal money would be used in part to increase the province’s testing capacity to a peak of 22,000 test per day up from an average of 12,000 tests per day.

Hinshaw reported 146 new cases on Thursday, bringing the number of active cases in the province to 1,483. There are currently 751 cases in the Edmonton Zone.

Alberta hospitals are treating 41 COVID-19 patients, eight of whom are in intensive care. There were no new reported deaths Thursday.

Hinshaw said there have been 64 infectious cases identified at 48 schools.

Edmonton Public Schools spokeswoman Megan Normandeau said there were single cases linked to John D. Bracco School, Vimy Ridge Academy and Centre High while two cases have been linked to McNally School.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Mouth wash COVID-19 test coming for school-aged children in B.C. – Powell River Peak

Published

on


British Columbia is introducing a new saline gargle test for students from kindergarten to Grade 12 to help make COVID-19 testing easier for children and teenagers.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said B.C. is one of the first places in the world to use a mouth rinse gargle test for the new coronavirus.

article continues below

“Unlike the (nasal) swab, this is a new saline gargle where you put a little bit of saline water, that is sterile water, in your mouth, you swish it around and spit it into a little tube,” she said at a news conference Thursday.

“This test is kind of cool and something we’ve had in the works for a while. This new method is more comfortable, particularly for our younger children.”

It is developed by a B.C. company, which reduces the province’s dependency on the global supply chain, she said.

Henry described the test as more efficient, which shortens the long lineups and wait times.

Getting tested is key in the fight against the pandemic and the test will make it easier to collect samples from young people, she said.

The test can be done without a health professional by parents or children themselves.

With schools reopening, Henry said the focus of this new and “easier” method of testing will be on children until there are more supplies.

“And we’re hoping to make it more broadly available as we go forward.”

The province announced a record daily high of 165 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday and one additional death, bringing the death toll to 220.

There has been a total of 7,663 cases of COVID-19 in the province.

The uptick is caused by a combination of increased testing, awareness and contact tracing, Henry said.

“Remember that today’s cases are people who have been exposed over the last two weeks.”

The province tested 7,674 people for COVID-19 on Wednesday, the highest number of COVID-19 tests ever conducted in B.C. in a single day.

Health Minister Adrian Dix reminded people to keep groups small and limit social gatherings.

“So, this weekend, and as we plan for Thanksgiving in the fall months ahead, let us once again close ranks on COVID-19, and change its course,” he said.

— By Hina Alam in Vancouver.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 17, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Provincial health officer won't give in to bar industry's call to reinstate liquor sales after 10 p.m. – CBC.ca

Published

on


Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, is rejected calls from the bar industry to allow liquor sales until midnight.

Last week Henry issued a public health order that ended liquor sales at restaurants and bars at 10 p.m., and closed the businesses at 11 p.m., unless they are serving food.

The industry immediately appealed for more relaxed rules, and that request is now being repeated, despite Henry’s warnings about the risk of COVID-19 transmission during the later hours.

Jeff Guignard, executive director of the B.C. Alliance of Beverage Licensees, says his group’s research shows the last couple of hours of business is when establishments go from losing money to turning a profit.

Bars in downtown Vancouver make half their revenue after 10 p.m., he said, while in other areas about a quarter or a third of revue is tallied after 10 p.m. Even in rural communities, 10 per cent of revenue comes in the last couple of hours of business, he added.

Jeff Guignard is executive director of the B.C. Alliance of Beverage Licensees. (Tina Lovgreen/CBC)

He said 50 per cent of the industry might not make it to the end of the year and it has been surviving on government rent and wage subsidies. The situation will become more dire if the public health order isn’t changed.

“It means bankruptcy. It means you’re going to close and you’re going to have to lay off your employees,” said Guignard.

Henry told reporters on Thursday that she had received a letter from the alliance on Wednesday, but she wasn’t ready to budge on the order.

“I appreciate that this is a very challenging time for people in that industry, I also know that this virus is transmitted by people,” she said.

“These orders were done with thought and the realization that these were places right now that cannot safely operate,” said Henry.

She said environmental health officers who have been inspecting bars around the province say the businesses faces challenges to meet safety requirements. Henry also said staff at the establishments and WorkSafeBC have expressed concerns.

Preventing COVID-19 spread in drinking establishments is a challenge, says Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

“We had transmission events documented in several places around the province and it was becoming increasingly challenging for public health to try and identify and getting on top of those places that were breaking the rules,” she said.

Delay in publishing order

Guignard said bar owners are “absolutely furious” that the public health order — which was issued verbally more than a week ago — has not been published in writing. That means details aren’t clear for a highly regulated industry with various types of liquor licenses. 

Businesses don’t know, for instance, whether off-sales of alcohol are also banned after 10 p.m.

Henry said her office has answered questions that have popped up since the verbal order was issued and she hopes to have the details in writing by Friday after a careful legal vetting to ensure the order isn’t overly broad.


With files from Tina Lovgreen

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending