In response to the three presumptive positive tests for Covid-19 in Nova Scotia, Premier Stephen McNeil has ordered school and day care closures and is requiring that all people self-isolate after international travel. The new actions were announced at a press conference Sunday afternoon.
Dr. Robert Strang, the province’s chief medical officer of health, said that the Nova Scotia Health Authority had developed the ability to test for Covid-19 and he is “confident” the tests are reliable, but a separate test sample must be sent to Health Canada, so the local results are still considered “presumptive.”
The three positive results came from people who travelled independently outside the country. They are:
• a 61-year-old King’s County woman who returned from Australia on March 8
• a man in his 30s who had “travelled throughout Europe” and returned on March 10
• a man in his 50s who returned from a conference in California on March 13
The two men reside in the Halifax area.
The three called 811 on Thursday and Friday, and the test results came in Saturday, said Strang. He said the Health Authority has identified all the people the three have come in contact with, and have asked them all to self-isolate for 14 days.
Strang said the province can test about 200 people a day, but now that they’ve developed a local test, that number should rise. He didn’t yet know what the new capability would be.
McNeil said the province now has 240 ventilators, and has ordered 140 more.
New actions announced Sunday are:
• nursing homes are closed to visitors immediately;
• public schools will be closed for two weeks after March Break, and a decision about after that will be made later;
• child care centres must close this Tuesday, March 17 until April 3, but that may be extended;
• casinos will close at midnight tonight, and all VLTs must stop operating then as well;
• all people returning from international travel must self-isolate for 14 days, and health inspectors will be at the airport to screen returning passengers;
• restaurants and bars must keep customers six feet apart and limit customers to 150.
On that last point, I asked if the four officials should be sitting immediately next to each other on the podium. “Good point,” said Strang. They missed an important opportunity for messaging about social distancing.
At the press conference, communication workers handed out posters about how to self-isolate and how to care for people who are self-isolating.
During the press conference, the province’s 811 site crashed, but it was back up and running by the end of the press conference.
The Halifax Examiner is an advertising-free, subscriber-supported news site. Your subscription makes this work possible; please subscribe.
26 new cases of coronavirus identified in Nova Scotia, more options for testing announced – Globalnews.ca
As of Sunday, 26 new cases of novel coronavirus were identified in Nova Scotia, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 262.
According to the province, the patients having confirmed cases so far range in age from under 10 to over 90.
Six individuals are currently in hospital while 53 individuals have now recovered and their cases of COVID-19 are considered resolved.
The new cases were identified on Saturday at the QEII Health Sciences Centre’s microbiology lab after 592 Nova Scotia tests were completed.
The province also noted that most of the confirmed cases have been connected to travel or a known case, but some are the result of community spread.
“This is expected and why the testing strategy continues to be adjusted,” said the province.
Part of that adjustment is increasing lab capacity, which according to the government, will have processing at the lab move to 24/7 operations as of Monday.
“This disease is in our communities and that’s why we are adjusting our testing strategy,” said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, at a press briefing on Sunday.
As QEII Health Sciences Centre’s microbiology lab begins its 24/operation, Strang said they’d be able to carry up to 1,000 tests a day.
He also announced that as of Sunday more options for testing of COVID-19 will be available to help identify spread within Nova Scotia communities.
Coronavirus outbreak: Young people warn others their age to take COVID-19 seriously
The province is working with the Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) and Emergency Health Services (EHS) to establish temporary primary assessment centres, EHS assessment units, and a mobile assessment centre.
“The temporary assessment centres will be in communities where there are increased disease activities,” said Strang.
He also said that the first temporary assessment centre opened Sunday, in Elmsdale where there’s currently increased disease activity.
But like the other assessment centres, people must be referred by 811 first. Those directed to an assessment centre will have a physical assessment onsite and swabbed if appropriate.
“Expanding our testing options means we have the ability to act quickly if we’re seeing clusters of disease in communities or locations and ensures we’re able to accommodate vulnerable Nova Scotians and those living in harder-to-reach communities,” said Strang.
There are currently two mobile units, one in the Halifax Regional Municipality and one for the most populated areas of Cape Breton Regional Municipality, staffed by paramedics trained to do at-home testing.
According to Strang, the mobile units would be used for people who have mobility issues and cannot get to an assessment centre or in situations where a cluster of testing needs to be done, for example at a long-term care home.
“This virus is in our communities, it’s dangerous and it’s up to all of us to slow it down,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “Expanding testing will help us identify and respond more quickly to spread in communities but the best defence continues to be following the public health orders.
“People need to stay home.”
Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:
Health officials caution against all international travel. Returning travellers are legally obligated to self-isolate for 14 days, beginning March 26, in case they develop symptoms and to prevent
spreading the virus to others. Some provinces and territories have also implemented additional recommendations or enforcement measures to ensure those returning to the area self-isolate.
Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.
To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out.
For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Nova Scotia identifies 26 new cases of COVID-19, bringing total to 262 – TheChronicleHerald.ca
Twenty-six new cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Nova Scotia, bringing the province’s total to 262.
Of the confirmed cases, 24 are in the eastern region, 25 are in the northern region, 38 are in the western region and 175 are in the central region.
People with COVID-19 in Nova Scotia range in age from under 10 to over 90. Six people are currently in hospital, while 53 people have recovered and their cases are considered resolved.
On Sunday, Shannex said it was notified by public health officials that employees at Arborstone Enhanced Care in Halifax and Harris Hall in Dartmouth have tested positive for COVID-19.
“(Management teams) are receiving support from our COVID-19 Response Team, which includes our Infection Prevention and Control Specialist and Occupational Health, Safety and Wellness team members, to ensure all residents and team members are following proper precautions with the health and safety of our residents and team members as our highest priority,” Shannex said in a statement posted to its website.
Most cases in Nova Scotia have been connected to travel or a known case, but “it is now known there is community spread,” the Health Department said in a news release Sunday.
“This is expected and why the testing strategy continues to be adjusted. Part of that is increasing lab capacity.”
The QEII Health Science Centre’s microbiology lab in Halifax will move to 24/7 operations on Monday.
To date, Nova Scotia has 9,510 negative results.
The province’s state of emergency declared two weeks ago has been recently extended to April 19.
“It is now more important than ever for Nova Scotians to strictly adhere to the public health orders and directives – practise good hygiene, maintain a physical distance of two metres or six feet from others, limit essential gatherings to no more than five people and stay at home as much as possible,” the release said.
A news conference with Dr. Robert Strang, the province’s chief medical officer of health, and Premier Stephen McNeil will be held at 3 p.m. today.
COVID-19 cases in Nova Scotia rise to 262, including 2 health-care workers – CBC.ca
Nova Scotia has announced 26 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 262.
Cases have been identified in individuals under 10 and over 90, including two staff at Nova Scotia hospitals and two long-term care employees.
Six people are now in hospital with the virus and 53 have recovered.
Premier Stephen McNeil and Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, are scheduled to provide an update on the coronavirus outbreak at 3 p.m. Sunday. Video will be livestreamed in this story.
Two new cases among long-term care employees
Two of the new cases include staff at two long-term care facilities.
The individuals are employees at Arborstone Enhanced Care in Halifax and Harris Hall in Dartmouth, which are both owned by Shannex.
An additional case was confirmed at Shannex’s Jubilee Hall-Concorde Hall in Quispamsis, N.B.
Last week, Shannex announced one case among employees at its private retirement-living community in Dartmouth. An employee at the R.K MacDonald Nursing Home in Antigonish also tested positive for COVID-19 last week.
It was also confirmed last week that three staff and two residents at the Magnolia resident care home in Enfield have also tested positive.
Health-care workers exposed
Two cases of COVID-19 have been identified among staff at Nova Scotia hospitals — the IWK Health Centre in Halifax and Aberdeen Hospital in New Glasgow — and some health-care workers have been ordered to self-isolate because of close contact with their infected colleagues.
A spokesperson for the IWK said the infected staff member is a health-care worker, and hospital staff were investigating any possible exposure to patients.
The case at the IWK is not expected to impact patient care or service delivery.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority has not released the role of the staff member from Aberdeen Hospital who tested positive for the virus, but some patients could have been exposed. The NSHA is working to identify and contact any affected patients.
Neither health authority would say how many staff were under self-isolation orders. They said affected staff were being tested.
Service disruptions at Aberdeen Hospital
The NSHA said the case at Aberdeen Hospital has caused a stoppage of all surgical, and labour and delivery services.
Patients with urgent and emergency orthopedic needs are being sent to the Halifax Infirmary, and emergency general surgery cases are being diverted to Colchester East Hants Health Centre in Truro.
Labour and delivery care will be transferred from Aberdeen to Colchester East Hants or St. Martha’s Regional Hospital in Antigonish, depending on the patient’s location.
The health authorities confirmed the cases Sunday, two weeks after the premier declared a state of emergency, ordering citizens to stay home as much as possible and to keep a distance of two metres from other people.
Under the public health measures, police have the authority to ticket anyone who fails to abide by physical distancing orders or who continues to use parks, trails and beaches, most of which are now closed.
In his near-daily COVID-19 updates, McNeil has been doling out stern warnings for the public to abide by the restrictions, calling those who flout the orders “reckless.”
Dozens of tickets issued for flouting public health orders
Last week, McNeil ordered police to increase enforcement. Ahead of the weekend, he appealed for people to “stay the blazes home.”
The plea struck a chord with many, who turned the phrase into memes, songs and merchandise, but it apparently didn’t affect everyone. On Saturday, Halifax police told CBC News they’d handed out dozens of tickets for violations under the Emergency Management Act and the Health Protection Act.
Fines for those violations range from almost $700 for individuals to up to $10,000 for businesses.
MORE TOP STORIES
26 new cases of coronavirus identified in Nova Scotia, more options for testing announced – Globalnews.ca
article image Antarctica was home to a rainforest 90 million years ago – Digital Journal
COVID response offers chance to shift direction of Canadian economy: experts – CTV News
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Popular Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours after man collapses outside restaurant – Vancouver Is Awesome
Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver reports January housing sales up 42.4 percent
- Health14 hours ago
Premier's 'Stay the blazes home' inspires music, merchandise, memes – CBC.ca
- Sports11 hours ago
Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs will face tricky Nick Robertson decision – Sportsnet.ca
- Health23 hours ago
How Revelstoke handled the Spanish flu – Lake Country Calendar
- Science21 hours ago
You've never seen Jupiter's swirling clouds like this before – The Weather Network
- Sports19 hours ago
Nick Nurse stays in touch with Raptors players, daily video calls with 'NBA family' – The Globe and Mail
- Tech22 hours ago
Apple Store Leaks 4.7-inch 'iPhone SE' Name on Accessory Listing [u] – iPhone in Canada
- Art22 hours ago
Province, feds reject Library-Art Gallery grant application – Smithers Interior News
- Tech14 hours ago
Here are the OnePlus 8, iPhone 9, and foldable Pixel patent leaks from this past week – MobileSyrup