Connect with us

Health

COVID-19 outbreak at South Surrey Loblaw distribution centre

Published

 on

Fraser Health Public Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Loblaws Inc., a distribution centre located at 2755 190 St. in South Surrey, after nine staff working at the facility tested positive for the virus.

According to a news release issued just before 4 p.m. Thursday (Aug. 20), all employees at the facility are being screened as a result, and case and contact management is ongoing.

Those identified as cases and close contacts have been instructed to self-isolate, the release adds.

Fraser Health is to inspect the site – described as operating at normal capacity – today, “and we are continuing to work with the facility to strengthen their COVID-19 mitigation strategies,” the release states.

“There is no demonstrated evidence that COVID-19 is transmitted through consumption of packaged foods, is a foodborne illnesses or is linked to transmission of any foodborne illnesses,” it continues.

“Consequently, there is no evidence of risk to those outside the distribution centre. People are reminded to do their part to prevent COVID-19 transmission in the community by staying home when they are sick, practising physical distancing, washing their hands frequently, and keeping their social circle small and consistent.”

The site’s first COVID-19 case was confirmed in early May. At that time, a Loblaws spokesperson told Peace Arch News that “a number of steps to protect our colleagues” had been taken, including removing equipment that the individual worked with for deep cleaning and thoroughly sanitizing common areas.

“Additionally, colleagues who worked closely with this individual were sent home to self isolate and monitor for any symptoms,” the spokesperson added.


Source: – North Delta Reporter

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Another person dies of COVID-19 in Manitoba – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Another person has died after contracting COVID-19, bringing the number of deaths linked to the virus up to 20 in Manitoba.

The person who died was a man in his 70s from the Prairie Mountain Health region, the province says.

Another 39 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Manitoba on Monday.

There are 22 new known cases in the Winnipeg health region, seven cases each in the Interlake-Eastern and Northern health regions and three in the Southern Health region.

The cases found in northern Manitoba are from a First Nation and they are all close contacts, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said.

There are 618 known active cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba, with 13 people in hospital, including seven in intensive care.

The province is advising the public of more places where people may have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

A second confirmed case of COVID-19 was found at St. Maurice School in Winnipeg.

The person may have been at the school while infectious on Sept. 17 and 18.

So far, contact tracing investigators do not believe the new case is linked to the first case reported at the school.

Further exposures may have happened at: 

  • Denny’s, at 4100 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg, on Sept. 18 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sept. 20 from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • XXI Lounge, at 1011 Pembina Highway in Winnipeg, on Sept. 18 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Sept. 19 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

The five-day test positivity rate in Manitoba is still at 2.2 per cent.

There were 2,647 COVID-19 tests performed on Friday, 2,196 on Saturday and 1,596 on Sunday.

The total number of COVID-19 tests done in Manitoba since February is 180,750.

Monday marks the first day code orange restrictions are in effect in Winnipeg and 17 surrounding communities.

Masks must be worn in all indoor public places, and all gatherings — taking place inside or outside — have a 10-person limit.

“We know that all of these actions not only protect ourselves, they protect the people around us, people we love and our community,” he said.

“We encourage Manitobans to step up once again to reduce the transmission of this virus.” 

Roussin told reporters on Monday that the 10-person cap on private gatherings is in addition to the people who live at a residence.

If six people live in a home, an additional 10 people can visit at one time, Roussin said, although he stressed a couple of times that people should try to limit their number of close contacts.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Hospitals call for new COVID-19 restrictions – northumberlandnews.com

Published

 on


Top Stories

Top Stories

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Red alert level expected to bring new coronavirus restrictions for Montreal and Quebec City – Global News

Published

 on


Quebec is reporting 750 new infections of the novel coronavirus Monday as the pandemic once again takes hold in the province.

The caseload stands at 72,651, which is the highest in Canada. There have been more than 61,000 recoveries to date.

One additional death linked to COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, was also reported but authorities say the date it occurred is unknown.

The health crisis has killed 5,826 Quebecers since March.

Read more:
Red alert level expected to bring new coronavirus restrictions for Montreal and Quebec City

The number of hospitalizations decreased by four on Monday to 212.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Of those patients, 37 are in intensive care, a decline of four from the previous day.

Story continues below advertisement

Quebec conducted 17,310 tests on Saturday, the latest day for which that information is available. To date, 2,278,145 tests have been given.


Click to play video 'Number of COVID-19 cases in Quebec schools on the rise'



1:10
Number of COVID-19 cases in Quebec schools on the rise


Number of COVID-19 cases in Quebec schools on the rise

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending