Ottawa Public Health is reporting 27 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on a day when another new record for cases provincewide was broken.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says 1,426 new cases were reported across Ontario on Wednesday, surpassing the 1,388 recorded on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, Ottawa saw 21 new cases, but an uptick in hospitalizations.
The 27 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ottawa on Wednesday bring the city’s pandemic total to 7,634 laboratory-confirmed cases.
In the past seven days, Nov. 5 to 11 inclusive, OPH reported 361 new cases in total, for an average of 51.6 new cases per day. In the seven days before that, Oct. 29 to Nov. 4, the average was 71.5 new cases per day.
Two new deaths were reported on Wednesday as well, bringing the city’s death toll from COVID-19 to 349.
HOSPITALIZATIONS IN OTTAWA
The number of people in Ottawa hospitals with COVID-19 complications fell on Wednesday, after hitting 60 on Tuesday, the highest so far during the second wave.
OPH says there are 56 people in Ottawa hospitals with COVID-19 and seven in intensive care.
Of the people in hospital, one is between the ages of 10 and 19, three are in their 30s (two in the ICU), two are in their 40s, three are in their 50s, eight are in their 60s (one in the ICU), 13 are in their 70s (two in the ICU), 18 are in their 80s (two in the ICU), and eight are 90 or older.
ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA
The number of known active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa fell to its lowest level since September.
OPH says there are 490 active cases of COVID-19 in the city, down from 537 on Tuesday.
This is the first time since Sept. 20 that the number of active infections in Ottawa was below 500.
The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.
Public Health Ontario says 36,707 COVID-19 tests were performed across Ontario on Tuesday. There are 34,460 people waiting for COVID-19 test results.
Local testing figures from the Ottawa COVID-19 Testing Taskforce will be available after 4 p.m. today.
CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA BY AGE CATEGORY
Here is a breakdown of all known COVID-19 cases in Ottawa by age category:
- 0-9 years old: Three new cases (492 cases total)
- 10-19 years-old: Five new cases (865 cases total)
- 20-29 years-old: Four new cases (1,571 cases total)
- 30-39 years-old: Nine new cases (1,014 cases total)
- 40-49 years-old: One new case (970 cases total)
- 50-59 years-old: Five new cases (896 cases total)
- 60-69-years-old: One new case (599 cases total)
- 70-79 years-old: Zero new cases (394 cases total)
- 80-89 years-old: Zero new cases (495 cases total)
- 90+ years old: Zero new cases (338 cases total)
The age of one person with COVID-19 that was previously unknown has been assigned.
CASES OF COVID-19 ACROSS THE REGION
The Eastern Ontario Health Unit reported seven new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday.
Two new cases were added by Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health.
The Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit reported four new cases on Wednesday.
Two cases have been removed from the count of the Renfrew County and District Health Unit.
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health reported zero new cases on Wednesday.
The Quebec government reported 11 new cases of COVID-19 in the Outaouais region, which includes Gatineau. There have been 2,831 cases of COVID-19 in the Outaouais and 59 deaths.
Ottawa Public Health is reporting COVID-19 outbreaks at 36 institutions in Ottawa, including long-term care homes, retirement homes, daycares, hospitals and schools.
New outbreaks were declared at St. Patrick School, an unidentified shelter, an unidentified supportive housing location, and a ward of the Ottawa Hospital Rehab Centre.
Outbreaks ended at the St. Bernadette “Petit pas a trois” childcare centre, the Bridlewood Retirement Home, Extendicare New Orchard Lodge, Hope Living – Ottawa, Sophia House, and The Ottawa Hospital General Campus 5N.
An outbreak listed Tuesday at Esther By Child Care Centre has been removed from the OPH dashboard.
There are four active community outbreaks at four unidentified workplaces.
The schools and childcare spaces currently experiencing outbreaks are:
- Cornerstone Children’s Centre – Heatherington Nursery School
- École élémentaire catholique Des Pionniers
- École secondaire publique Louis Riel
- École secondaire publique Omer-Deslauriers
- Ottawa Islamic School
- St. Mother Teresa High School
- St. Mother Teresa High School (2)*
- St. Patrick School (NEW)
*NOTE: There are two ongoing but unrelated COVID-19 outbreaks declared at St. Mother Teresa High School.
The long-term care homes, retirement homes, hospitals, and other spaces currently experiencing outbreaks are:
- Alta Vista Manor
- Beacon Heights retirement home
- Bridlewood Trails Retirement Home
- Garden Terrace
- Glebe Centre
- Hôpital Montfort 4C Med
- Innovative Community Support Services (Barnwell)
- Longfields Manor
- Lord Lansdowne retirement home
- Maison Acceuil-Sagesse
- Park Place
- Riverpath Retirement
- Robertson House
- Rockcliffe Retirement
- Rooming house location
- Shelter location (NEW)
- Sisters of Charity retirement home
- St. Patrick’s Home
- St. Vincent Hospital (3 South)
- Stirling Park Retirement Home
- Supportive Housing location (NEW)
- The Ottawa Hospital General Campus 6W
- The Ottawa Hospital Rehab Centre – Special Rehab – Ward B (NEW)
- The Ravines
- Valley Stream Retirement Home
- West End Villa
A single laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19 in a resident or staff member of a long-term care home, retirement home or shelter triggers an outbreak response, according to Ottawa Public Health. In childcare settings, a single confirmed, symptomatic case in a staff member, home daycare provider, or child triggers an outbreak.
Under provincial guidelines, a COVID-19 outbreak in a school is defined as two or more lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases in students and/or staff in a school with an epidemiological link, within a 14-day period, where at least one case could have reasonably acquired their infection in the school (including transportation and before or after school care).
Ontario reports dip in new COVID-19 case numbers due to technical issue – CTV Toronto
Ontario is reporting a dip in the number of new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, but government officials say that a technical error resulted in an underestimated count today and an overestimated count yesterday.
The province issued a statement outlining the error, explaining that the record-breaking 1,589 new cases reported on Monday was overestimated and the 1,009 new cases reported today are underestimated.
Due to the technical issue, Monday’s report included cases registered up until 8 p.m. on Nov. 22 instead of up until 12 p.m. as usual, which led to the two-day error, the province said.
Health officials have not confirmed how many cases should not have been included in Monday’s total and added to today’s total instead. When averaging out new infections reported on both days, Ontario saw 1,299 cases.
The province also reported on Tuesday that 14 more people have died due to COVID-19. The day before, the province reported 19 more deaths.
Seniors continue to be the age group hardest hit by the pandemic. According to the province’s epidemiology report, 10 of the 14 deaths recorded on Tuesday were people living in long-term care homes.
Since the pandemic started in January, of the 3,519 people who have died in Ontario due to the disease and 2,441 were over the age of 80.
Provincial health officials deemed 1,082 more cases to be resolved as of Tuesday, bringing the total number of recovered patients in Ontario to 90,074.
The total number of lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ontario now stands at 106,510, including deaths and recoveries.
There are at least 534 people currently in Ontario hospitals due to COVID-19 and 159 of those patients are in an intensive care unit. Ninety-one of them are breathing with the assistance of a ventilator.
The province previously stated that once the number of COVID-19 patients in the ICU reaches 150, it becomes harder to support medical needs not related to the disease in hospitals. Furthermore, once 350 COVID-19 patients are in the ICU, it becomes “impossible” to handle other medical needs, the province said.
Where are the COVID-19 cases in Ontario?
Of the 1,009 cases reported on Tuesday, health officials say that 497 were in Toronto, 175 were in Peel Region and 118 were in York Region. Officials say these numbers may be underestimated due to the technical error.
Toronto and Peel Region entered the province’s lockdown phase on Monday, which is the final category in the province’s COVID-19 tiered framework that guides restrictions.
Most non-essential businesses, including gyms, malls and personal care services, will have to shutter in the two COVID-19 hot spots for at least 28 days.
Several other regions in Ontario reported COVID-19 cases numbers in the double digits.
Waterloo reported 40 new cases, Windsor-Essex reported 31 new cases, Simcoe-Muskoka reported 25 new cases, Ottawa and Niagara Region reported 19 new cases, Durham Region reported 16 new cases and Hamilton reported 10 new cases.
Most of the new cases of COVID-19 reported on Tuesday involve people under the age of 80.
There were 354 infections in people between the ages of 20 and 39, at least 307 in people between the ages of 40 and 59 and 130 in people between the ages of 60 and 79. There were 163 cases in people under the age of 19.
COVID-19 testing in Ontario
Officials processed 27,053 COVID-19 tests in the last 24 hours. The ministry of health said the province’s positivity rate now stands at about 5.8 per cent when including duplicate tests and errors.
There are 29,316 COVID-19 tests still under investigation.
In total, Ontario has processed more than 5.9 million tests since the pandemic began in January
Ford, minister of long-term care to make announcement in Toronto – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
Premier Doug Ford and his minister of long-term care are set to make an announcement in Toronto this afternoon.
On Monday, the premier, who provides daily updates on Ontario’s response to the pandemic, released some details of the province’s new COVID-19 vaccine task force, which will be led by retired Gen. Rick Hillier, the former head of the Canadian military.
Ford called distribution of the vaccine a “massive logistical challenge” that could turn into a “logistical nightmare” without the right planning.
“We need military precision. We need the discipline that only a general can bring to this task,” Ford said of Hillier, who served as Chief of the Defence Staff of the Canadian Forces between 2005 and 2008.
Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott has previously indicated that she expects the province to receive a combined 2.4 million doses of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines during the first three months of 2021.
Vaccine recipients will require two doses 21 days apart, meaning that the initial shipments will likely only be enough to protect about 1.2 million Ontarians.
Health Canada still needs to approve both vaccines but Elliott said planning for the early rollout of the province’s COVID-19 vaccine program is “well underway.”
“This task force will be made up of representatives from across our government and will include experts in operations and logistics, federal/ provincial relations, health care, public health and immunizations, ethics, information technology and data,” she said.
“They will be advising on the delivery, storage, and distribution of the vaccine, (and) support for health care system partners to deliver a phased vaccination program that will initially prioritize vulnerable populations followed by mass immunization.”
Today’s news conference is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. and will be streamed live on CP24.com.
Association calls for Halifax restaurants and bars to close amid COVID-19 spread – CBC.ca
The Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia is calling for all restaurants and bars in Halifax to close to dine-in customers for at least the next two weeks because of rising COVID-19 case numbers in the area.
Gordon Stewart, executive director of RANS, said the association’s board of directors held an emergency meeting Monday night and decided unanimously to make the closure recommendation to its members and to Public Health.
Restaurants and bars have been a significant site of COVID-19 transmission in Nova Scotia over the past two weeks, and Stewart said consumer confidence has been “wiped out.”
“It really has hurt. Business has taken a sharp decline. But it’s more than that — it’s that we’re scared that the spread gets so bad that we end up like some of the western provinces right now,” Stewart told CBC’s Information Morning, referring to Manitoba and Alberta, which are experiencing overwhelming coronavirus surges.
Stewart said he’ll leave it to the provincial government to decide what geographical area to shut down, based on the current epidemiology. But he expects it to encompass downtown Halifax, which has been the epicentre of the province’s current outbreak of the coronavirus.
Public Health has not yet endorsed the RANS recommendation. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang and Premier Stephen McNeil are scheduled to hold a COVID-19 briefing at 3 p.m. today.
Stewart said the closure recommendation is focused on “full-service” restaurants. He said he supports restaurants in hotels staying open for hotel guests only, and coffee shops staying open for take-out.
The recommendations are not meant for the rest of the province, outside HRM.
Thank you to the restaurants and bars that have already made the hard choice to close to dine-in and to <a href=”https://twitter.com/RestAssocNS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@RestAssocNS</a> for this. Let’s do our best to support them: gift cards, take-out and a promise to return when we can. <a href=”https://t.co/d902Xh29Kj”>https://t.co/d902Xh29Kj</a>
Stewart said closing will bring “a lot of repercussions for operators” but he expects it to be effective in slowing the spread of the second wave of COVID-19.
“It’s really not about the economy now. It’s really about the health and the long-term outlook of our communities,” Stewart said.
Over the past few days, many Halifax-area restaurants and bars have already decided to close — some as a precaution and others because of possible COVID-19 exposures on the premises.
Among them is The Old Triangle, where owners closed voluntarily on Monday, only to learn a few hours later that they were in fact the site of a possible exposure.
“Honestly I think it’s the right move,” said Old Triangle co-owner Brendan Doherty of the RANS recommendation.
“We are at a bit of a tipping point so it does make sense to take at least two weeks … to just kind of get reset and get back to where we’ve been.”
“We’ve been very fortunate [inside the Atlantic bubble] … and it’d be nice to go back to that as soon as possible.”
Doherty said a government-mandated shut-down would help his business, and others, because it would allow them to access additional rent relief through federal programs.
“It’s all about cost-saving during a shut down, and rent is the biggest cost we do incur.”
Black Friday wireless earbuds deals – The Verge
China launches mission to bring back material from moon – World News – Castanet.net
China’s Li Sees Economy Returning to ‘Proper’ Range Next Year – Yahoo Canada Finance
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Art15 hours ago
The Art of Building the Impossible – The New Yorker
- Science19 hours ago
Utah monolith mystery: Wildlife officials' 12-ft desert discovery – Daily Mail
- Science17 hours ago
A 2020 space oddity? Mysterious metal object found in Utah desert – Global News
- Tech10 hours ago
Black Friday Sony TV Deals (2020): 60 Inch, 65 Inch & 75 Inch Sony 4K TV Deals Reviewed by Deal Tomato – GlobeNewswire
- Science20 hours ago
A 2020 space oddity? Mysterious metal object found in Utah desert – cjoy.com
- Politics22 hours ago
The fraught politics facing Biden’s foreign policy
- Media17 hours ago
Social media 'out of control,' says Norfolk mayor – Edmonton Examiner
- Media19 hours ago
Social media 'out of control,' says Norfolk mayor – The Sudbury Star