Connect with us

Business

Disney+ Boss Kevin Mayer Leaves Company for TikTok – ComicBook.com

Published

on


Kevin Mayer is out at Disney+. The Disney executive — once heralded as a potential successor to Bob Iger —has left the company to become chief executive of TikTok. Months after the launch of the Disney-owned service — one that has performed far better than the company expected — Mayer is now in charge of the world’s fastest-growing social media app, largely thanks in part to those suffering from boredom while quarantined inside. In addition to being CEO for TikTok, Mayer will also serve as chief operating officer of ByteDance, the Chinese company that owns the service.

The New York Times first broke the news, which Disney then confirmed in a statement. “Kevin has had an extraordinary impact on our company over the years,” Disney CEO Bob Chapek said. “Having worked alongside Kevin for many years on the senior management team, I am enormously grateful to him for his support and friendship.”

Chapek took over for Iger this February after the long-time chief stepped down to put his sole focus on the company’s creative output. Though Chapek had been a tenured parks executive at the time, many insiders expected Mayer to be primed to be Iger’s replacement due to his role in Disney’s increasing digital efforts. Mayer’s Disney+ role saw him oversaw the House of Mouse’s Director-to-Consumer & International division. Prior to that, he was the company’s chief strategy officer in played pivotal roles in helping Disney acquire Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, and the vast majority of 21st Century Fox.

In April, Mayer and the company celebrated crossing 50 million subscribers on Disney+. A celebration, as it turns out, that was much more short-lived than most thought. “We’re truly humbled that Disney+ is resonating with millions around the globe, and believe this bodes well for our continued expansion throughout Western Europe and into Japan and all of Latin America later this year,” Mayer said in a statement at the time. “Great storytelling inspires and uplifts, and we are in the fortunate position of being able to deliver a vast array of great entertainment rooted in joy and optimism on Disney+.”

Disney has since named Rebecca Campbell as Mayer’s successor. Campbell had been serving as the president of Disneyland Resort at the time of the reshuffling.

Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Alberta partners with fast-food restaurants to distribute 4 non-medical masks to every resident – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


The Alberta government will provide every resident with four non-medical face masks, as the province continues its phased approach to relaunch the economy.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro announced Friday morning that the government has partnered with A&W, McDonald’s Canada and Tim Hortons to distribute the masks at the restaurants’ drive-thru locations.

The masks will be free of charge.

“Alberta is the first and so far, as far as I know, the only province that has decided to distribute masks province-wide,” Shandro said. “This program will help Albertans get back to work and enjoy everyday activities safely.”

While mask use is not mandatory, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health has recommended Albertans wear a non-medical mask when two metres of physical distance cannot be maintained, such as on public transit.


READ MORE:
Coronavirus: Non-medical masks now recommended for Canadians, officials say

Story continues below advertisement

A total of about 20 million non-medical masks will be distributed at a cost of around $20 million. Shandro said partnering with the fast-food restaurants will cut down on the distribution cost to government, which is around $350,000.

“These three partners are doing it without added expense to the Alberta taxpayer,” Shandro said.


READ MORE:
Coronavirus: Alberta changes PPE distribution, businesses must obtain own masks after June 30

The drive-thru pickup also provides safe physical distancing for Albertans, as people will be able to stay in their vehicles.

Shandro said the three restaurant companies have about 600 drive-thru locations in the province, and 95 per cent of Albertans live within 10 kilometres of one of these locations.

The province is working on a plan to ensure distribution of masks is possible to the remaining five per cent of the population, Shandro said.

“Even if you don’t have an A&W, a McDonald’s or a Tim Hortons in your community, you will be able to get your four masks,” he said.


READ MORE:
Coronavirus: Alberta government asks non-AHS staff needing PPE to request via email

The government’s distribution cost is “for us to be able to pay for the gap distribution for the other five per cent of folks who may not be able to get to a drive-thru,” according to Shandro.

Story continues below advertisement

Distribution will be done on the honour system.

“We’re not asking for folks to bring in their health-care card and get a punch to show that they’re already picked up,” Shandro said.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“This is on the honour system, but Albertans are responsible and they’ve shown us that. Throughout the response to this pandemic, Albertans have shown us that they are responsible.

“Obviously there may be some folks who will be unable to make their way to a drive-thru — I’m thinking about one of my parents in particular — and whether it’s me or one of my siblings who has to go pick up for my parents, that’s going to be the case. And the folks at the 600 stores, the employees, are going to just have to trust Albertans and we’re going to have to trust Albertans.”






2:54
Alberta’s Dr. Hinshaw lays out best practices for wearing face masks to slow COVID-19 spread


Alberta’s Dr. Hinshaw lays out best practices for wearing face masks to slow COVID-19 spread

The health minister stressed the three-layered, non-medical face masks are not part of the provincial supply of personal protective equipment (PPE) meant for health-care workers and first responders.

Story continues below advertisement

The masks are single-use, Shandro said.

“They are not medical grade masks. We are not taking away any of the PPE from our front lines,” Shandro said.


READ MORE:
University of Alberta works with AHS to make 3D-printed face shields

In a media release from the province, all three restaurants expressed their pleasure to be part of the mask program.

“A&W is very pleased to support the government of Alberta with this great initiative. Our restaurants across the province have been quick to step up and help organize the distribution of masks, and are looking forward to welcoming Albertans at our drive-thrus,” A&W Canada president and CEO Susan Senecal said.

“McDonald’s Canada, together with our franchisees, have been committed to helping our communities throughout this pandemic. We welcome this opportunity to use our drive-thru operations to assist the Alberta government, and do the right thing for Albertans when they need us most,” said Jeff Kroll with McDonald’s Canada.

“Throughout the pandemic, the 1,500 Tim Hortons owners across Canada have been eagerly supporting their local communities and stepping up to answer calls for assistance. When we were asked by the Alberta government to help distribute masks through our drive-thrus we did not hesitate. We’re proud to have been asked to participate in this important program and do our part to help Alberta move forward on its relaunch strategy,” Tim Hortons COO Mike Hancock said.

Story continues below advertisement

Tanya Doucette, a Tim Hortons owner who runs eight locations across central Alberta, said the province has asked that they not hand out the mask bags inside the restaurant, just through the drive-thru.

“They want to ensure safe social distancing, and I think because they’re worried people might show up in large numbers and queues in person, that could create risk,” Doucette said.

“We have acrylic shields in our drive-thrus and our team members are wearing non-medical grade masks, so this is a safe distance option to hand out the masks.”


READ MORE:
Harvey’s makes unique use of hockey sticks during coronavirus pandemic

She said people must be in a vehicle, they cannot walk through the drive-thru.

“What you can do if you don’t have a vehicle or you don’t have access to a vehicle, you can ask a friend or family member to pick up your allotment of masks for you through a drive-thru location at Tim Hortons,” she said.

Representatives from McDonald’s and A&W also say that masks will only be handed out through the drive-thru, and people must be in a vehicle.

The masks have arrived and will be ready for distribution early next month. Further details of the rollout will be released in the coming days.

Story continues below advertisement

Shandro encouraged Albertans to source their own non-medical masks through local businesses or make their own at home.

“This is not meant to be able to provide Albertans with an unlimited supply.”

More information on how to safely put on and take off a non-medical face mask can be found on the government’s website.






1:08
Hinshaw clarifies that N95 masks are not required for ‘typical care to a patient’


Hinshaw clarifies that N95 masks are not required for ‘typical care to a patient’

Shandro said that on Friday morning, Alberta surpassed the 250,000 mark when it comes to how many COVID-19 tests have been performed in the province. He said about 220,000 unique Albertans have been tested, as some people have been tested twice.

On Thursday, Alberta Health reported 29 new cases of COVID-19 in Alberta and two additional deaths related to the disease.

There were 652 active cases of COVID-19 in Alberta on Thursday afternoon.

Story continues below advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Laurentian Bank slashes dividend by 40 per cent as profits tumble – The Globe and Mail

Published

on


Laurentian Bank of Canada slashed its dividend by 40 per cent on Friday following a sharp drop in profit, becoming the first large Canadian bank to cut its dividend payout in nearly 30 years.

The Montreal-based bank reported a 79-per-cent drop in profit for the three months ended April 30, with net income falling to $8.9-million from $43.3-million in the same quarter last year. This was largely due to a spike in provisions for potential loan losses tied to weakening economic conditions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Laurentian responded by cutting its dividend to 40 cents a share, down from 67 cents. This is the first time a large Canadian bank has cut back dividend payouts since National Bank of Canada did so in 1992, according to data from Refinitiv.

Story continues below advertisement

“Although we believe that current earnings are not reflective of the future earnings power of the organization, we have reduced the dividend to $0.40 per share which improves operational flexibility until we reap the anticipated benefits of our strategic plan,” chief executive François Desjardins said in a press release.

Laurentian shares fell more than 9 per cent in trading Friday morning.

The bank’s earnings cap off a week of dismal results from Canadian banks, which saw profits eviscerated by a rise in loan loss provisions due to expectations of future defaults and weakening credit. Laurentian, a regional bank which focuses primarily on Quebec, managed to keep revenues flat on a year-over-year basis. But higher provisions slammed the bottom line.

Laurentian recorded $54.9-million in provisions for credit losses, compared to $9.2-million a year ago. Gross impaired loans, which are loans that the bank does not expect to be paid back in full, rose to $235-million, up 25.8 per cent year-over-year. The biggest increase in loan impairment came from the bank’s commercial loan book, where gross impaired loans rose 42 per cent year-over-year.

The results were worse than analysts had anticipated. The bank reported an adjusted earnings per share of $0.20, well below the $0.38 average that analysts had expected, according to Refinitiv data.

In a note to clients, National Bank analyst Gabriel Dechaine noted that the miss was driven by a combination of higher than expected provisions for credit losses and elevated expenses, which were partially offset by a lower-than-forecast tax rate.

“While necessary, a 40 per cent dividend cut may be viewed as insufficient, as pro forma payout ratios are still elevated,” Mr. Dechaine wrote.

Story continues below advertisement

The bank’s capital position deteriorated slightly in the quarter, with the closely watched common equity tier 1 ratio falling to 8.8 per cent from 9 per cent.

“This level of capital provides the Bank with the flexibility to pursue organic growth, as well as to continue to invest in the implementation of our core banking system,” the bank said in a news release.

However it added that it expects “regulatory capital ratios will remain below the level observed over the recent quarters.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Alberta partners with fast-food chains to offer free masks at drive-thrus – CBC.ca

Published

on


Albertans will be able to pick up free non-medical masks from the drive-thrus of A&W, McDonald’s and Tim Hortons starting in early June.

The Alberta government is distributing 20 million masks meant to help limit the spread of COVID-19, said Health Minister Tyler Shandro during a press conference Friday.

The masks are for situations where physical distancing is difficult to maintain, such as on public transit or while shopping, Shandro said.

“We recognize that as the province relaunches and we all adapt to our new normal, we all may sometimes find ourselves in a situation where physical distancing may not be possible.”

The province is distributing the masks through the three restaurant chains because they provide an ease of access, said the province’s health minister.

“We chose this method, quite honestly, because these partners have access through these 600 sites to about 95 per cent of our population,” Shandro said. “These three partners are doing it without expense to the Alberta taxpayer.”

Each Albertan is allowed one package of four masks, while supplies last. The masks also come with instructions on how to wear and dispose of them. No purchase is necessary.

“This is not meant to provide Albertans with an unlimited supply,” Shandro said. “We’re encouraging people to source their own masks on an ongoing basis.”

The province will also look at other ways to distribute the masks, like at high-risk transmission areas such as transit and places of worship, for people who can’t access one of the drive-thru locations.

A budget of $350,000 has been set aside to fill the gap in distribution, Shandro said.

The province is also working with municipalities, First Nations communities, Métis settlements and local agencies to distribute the non-medical masks to those who need them.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending